E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 550i SP

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

She has arrived and is home. My drive from the dealer was in heavy traffic but a short late night spin made up for it.

Pix will follow but not until the weekend. I love the color combo I have choosen with the light wood. It looks great and a great offset to the black dash and center panel.

1. Ride and Handling
Coming from my 04 545i, the biggest diffrence is the ride and handling. This car is so much more comfortable and handles way way better. The suspension and non runflat tires give a far more compliant ride, better grip and in cornering the dynamic drive is not noticeable. In the 545 you felt a looser but bumpier car which then cornered flat with the tires invariably loosing grip and bouncing on most pavement. With this car cornering is far more predictable. Again the ride is superb. A combination of comfort seats, non RF tires and a superbly tuned and tight suspension. Oh and the 19" wheels must help too.

2. Tranny
I love it. The short shifter is a joy. I don't think I need CDV surgery, but we will see. So far no problems with shifting.

3. Exhaust note
Love it. Its just right. Not to loud, but enough of a growl to enjoy. Barely noticeable with windows up AC and music.

4. Power
Honestly breakin period or not, this 550 is not different in power delivery from the 07 and a barely noticeable difference from my 545. Any one who says otherwise was driving an out of tune, dialed down (some CIP versions were dogs due to emmisions requirements) 550 or 545 that needed an oil change.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='435227' date='Jun 12 2007, 10:58 PM
She has arrived and is home. My drive from the dealer was in heavy traffic but a short late night spin made up for it.

Pix will follow but not until the weekend. I love the color combo I have choosen with the light wood. It looks great and a great offset to the black dash and center panel.

1. Ride and Handling
Coming from my 04 545i, the biggest diffrence is the ride and handling. This car is so much more comfortable and handles way way better. The suspension and non runflat tires give a far more compliant ride, better grip and in cornering the dynamic drive is not noticeable. In the 545 you felt a looser but bumpier car which then cornered flat with the tires invariably loosing grip and bouncing on most pavement. With this car cornering is far more predictable. Again the ride is superb. A combination of comfort seats, non RF tires and a superbly tuned and tight suspension. Oh and the 19" wheels must help too.

2. Tranny
I love it. The short shifter is a joy. I don't think I need CDV surgery, but we will see. So far no problems with shifting.

3. Exhaust note
Love it. Its just right. Not to loud, but enough of a growl to enjoy. Barely noticeable with windows up AC and music.

4. Power
Honestly breakin period or not, this 550 is not different in power delivery from the 07 and a barely noticeable difference from my 545. Any one who says otherwise was driving an out of tune, dialed down (some CIP versions were dogs due to emmisions requirements) 550 or 545 that needed an oil change.
Nice write up. And honestly, I respect your opinion--- but I will let the Dinan guys tell me whether the engine has changed or not. Currently they are non-responsive in that regard.

And you are driving a Manual shift car? No? The noticeble tranny changes for 08 are on the Step/Sport Automatics.

I would hope you are right, so I can get the Dinan ECU upgrade soon.

Enjoy your new 08 550i. It's a sick ride no doubt.

So Cal
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Congrats and enjoy your new ride. Drive safe!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats and enjoy man
Old 06-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

I know it was worth the wait for you. Congrats and good luck.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Congrats, my friend. We are on the same cycle for Bimmers. Thanks for the insightful review. I have always valued your comments.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 AM
sol
Members

Congrats, enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Contributors

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics. ...hope you can make the Meet!?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='435227' date='Jun 13 2007, 12:58 AM

1. Ride and Handling

2. Tranny

3. Exhaust note

4. Power
Great write up!! Great to hear the differences with the 07 550 and the 545.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Congrats & enjoy!

Quick Reply: 2008 550i SP