E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter won't go into Park

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg
Default Shifter won't go into Park

Wow, this is frustrating. Suddenly, the electronic shifter on my '08 535xi will no longer go into "P". Not sure if its just a problem with the little P button, or something else. FWIW, it feels normal when I press it, but nothing happens. If I want to get in park, I have to turn off the car. Ugh. Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious. What P button are you referring to?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I'm sure he means the "P" button on the top of the shifter.

If it goes into Park when you switch off, the problem is likely in the shifter. I've read about the cable to the shifter failing. Anybody else?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

Ah, okay. I assume this is an LCI thing then. Thanks audiophool.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 550i M-Sport Carbon Black

Mine just started this out of the blue 2 days ago. I would love to get details on this. If I can get the scoop from my service guy I will report back.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Mine started doing this as well. Just had the whole shift assembly replaced, new turbos as well as a water pump. Thankfully this is covered under CPO, but that runs out next month and I'm starting to think I should trade her in.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes, on LCI the new shifter has a "P" button on top that you press to park the car. Ok, guys, you are scaring me, mine hasn't been acting up but it's starting to sound like it might in the future. Make sure you all post up once it's known what to do to repair it.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 550i M-Sport Carbon Black

Well, I heard back from my dealer service guy. Unfortunately, he has not come across this issue before.

Mine only did it a few times since Tuesday, and now is working OK. I will keep a close eye on it, of course. I did notice that every time it will not go into park, if I hold the P button for awhile, it has always gone into park eventually.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

FYI, I'm grudgingly taking it in to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it. I'm getting ready to trade/sell her, so I need this solved. (Plus, its a tad dangerous.) Unfortunately I'm out of CPO, so I'm praying it doesn't cost me a fortune. I'll report back.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

I had my shifter replaced about 12k ago because the ribbon cable was kinked. First symptom was the illumination of the shifter mode went out. Then it acted like yours where it wouldn't engage park until about 5 tries. Dealer replaced shifter, & cable under warranty.
Hope yours is just that ribbon cable. I read a post in another forum & it seemed not too difficult to replace.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Shifter won't go into Park