E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 550i pre-purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeez you guys are sleuths here.

pagemaster, i here you on interior color. i don't like the dark interior--i have the beige myself. i love the brown, good choice.

IMO when you buy a CPO, it all comes down to price. every dealer will tell you they did some 500 checkpoints or some BS before it became a CPO legitimately, but the bottom line is a CPO is a CPO. maybe you take it in twice a week, but it's still getting the same warranty.

if you feel like it's a good buy, go for it. i personally think you can save some $$, but we're talking a marginal amount here, <5k. either way, i don't think you're over-paying! good luck.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Members

if you want to see more pics of it, the car is currently listed on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item19c0b6f55d

BE
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
but really what's the difference between 6,500 and 35,000? a 2008 has 2 more years on it as far as warranty goes, so unless you're putting a significantly higher amount of miles annually than the average, i wouldn't let the low miles tempt you as much. in other words, you're warranty is going to be the same no matter what the mileage, so if you're not going to hit 50k by the the time the 4 years of warranty expire, don't let the mileage be a huge concern.
Since it is a 2008 it was probably originally purchased in late 2007/early 2008... which means chances are you have about a year left on the warranty FYI.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sonybony40
Since it is a 2008 it was probably originally purchased in late 2007/early 2008... which means chances are you have about a year left on the warranty FYI.
right, that's sort of my point. a car with 6500 miles or a car with 35000 miles...either way you have 1 year to put 50k on it, so unless you're a traveling salesman you probably won't hit the factory warranty expiration via mileage.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
right, that's sort of my point. a car with 6500 miles or a car with 35000 miles...either way you have 1 year to put 50k on it, so unless you're a traveling salesman you probably won't hit the factory warranty expiration via mileage.
I see your point, although the purchase isn't just about the remaining warranty coverage. That said, the car was put in service in April 2008, so I will have about 18 months left on the factory warranty and since its a CPO I will essentially have 3.5 years left to do 100k miles. Since I do almost 20k miles a year, I could get close. As I said though, to get the color combination and options I am looking for (for the most part) on a vehicle with such low miles is a big plus. Thinking that I am getting a basically new $69k car at a $27k discount certainly helps!

Appreciate all the replies and advice!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Pagemaster
I see your point, although the purchase isn't just about the remaining warranty coverage. That said, the car was put in service in April 2008, so I will have about 18 months left on the factory warranty and since its a CPO I will essentially have 3.5 years left to do 100k miles. Since I do almost 20k miles a year, I could get close. As I said though, to get the color combination and options I am looking for (for the most part) on a vehicle with such low miles is a big plus. Thinking that I am getting a basically new $69k car at a $27k discount certainly helps!

Appreciate all the replies and advice!
Sort of get the logic... the truth is though that the car is 3 years old and is probably costing you at least $8000 more then a car with 30,000 extra miles with the same amount of warranty left... I would look for and buy a nice 35,000 mile 550 for $35,000 and spend $2000-$2500 extra to get the extended maintenance free warranty... then pocket the extra $6000.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i Sport Black/Black

Or get a E90 M3!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mileage isn't just about how much warranty is left it obviously also effects the wear and tear of the transmission and engine. I feel a car with 8,000 miles is gonna drive more smoothly than a car with 30,000-40,000 miles and also means you have more miles to put on the vehicle before starting to worry about those high mileage wear and tear issues. Also as far as warranty goes if it is a 2008 the original warranty should more than likely expire sometime next year, so it's safe to say there's at least a year of warranty left on that vehicle.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I know several people, who dealt with Life Quality BMW on many occasions. And never - not once! - have I ever heard anything even remotely positive about their service or pricing. That said, I actually occasionally buy parts from their part dept. bc I get a discount through a local shop, who has an account with them. Parts are always 10 out of 10 and I've never had any issues. But I never service my car there - when I need a dealer to service, I go elsewhere. I've never even thought about buying/leasing from them, as their quoted prices are significantly higher, than just about any other dealer (except maybe Morristown).

The car does look great though Good Luck!

BTW I pass by LQ BMW in Bay Ridge every day - let me know if you want me to stop by and check the car out.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I know several people, who dealt with Life Quality BMW on many occasions. And never - not once! - have I ever heard anything even remotely positive about their service or pricing. That said, I actually occasionally buy parts from their part dept. bc I get a discount through a local shop, who has an account with them. Parts are always 10 out of 10 and I've never had any issues. But I never service my car there - when I need a dealer to service, I go elsewhere. I've never even thought about buying/leasing from them, as their quoted prices are significantly higher, than just about any other dealer (except maybe Morristown).

The car does look great though Good Luck!

BTW I pass by LQ BMW in Bay Ridge every day - let me know if you want me to stop by and check the car out.
v_therussian, it would be great if you could stop and take a look if it is no hassle. The sales guy I have been working with is Vlad, so if you ask for him he should be able to help out. My first name is John and I'm from Maryland if he asks. I did a little research on LQ and saw that their service reviews were not great, but since I am in MD I will be having the car serviced locally, so I am not too concerned about LQ from that perspective.

Based on the cars I have seen so far in my area (MD/DC) as well as those on the east coast and the prices dealers are asking, this seemed like a reasonable deal...probably not great, but reasonable, especially given the low miles. I saw a 20k miles 550 on Long Island and they were asking 43.9 and would not negotiate. There is a 40k miles 550 close to me that I could probably get in the high 30's, but that has more miles than I want, and doesn't have the options or colors I am looking for. There was also a 20k miles car for sale for $50k - not even in the ballpark. Dunno, maybe I am looking in the wrong places.....any advice is of course welcomed!

-jp

Quick Reply: 2008 550i pre-purchase question