E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 550i - how do you tell whether it has a SMG or Steptronic tranny

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to buy a 08 550i and new to the E60 (currently drive a E39 with Steptronic). How do tell whether it has a SMG or Steptronic trans in it. If it has paddles does it mean it is SMG? If it has a single button "Sport" on the center console (reat of the shifter boot), is it a SMG? Thanks for any input. Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Yes, all SMG would have pedals on the steering wheel.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

I thought the SMG was dropped for the 08 and up cars? I didn't think you could get an LCI with the SMG.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Yes, all SMG would have pedals on the steering wheel.
Thanks for the input. Were paddles offered with the steptronic trans - 2008 550i?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM
New Members

Looks like I found the answer after doing more searching on these forums. I read "Rudy"'s post: https://5series.net/forums/topic/426...ort-automatic/

No SMG option for the 2008, appears to be three tranny options: Manual, Steptronic, or Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT). The SAT was a $500 option and included paddles and a "Sport" Mode. Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM
New Members

I have a 2007 550i Sport with the SMG tranny. The SMG tranny is a unique transmission. In the 550i application, it has a manual mode and an automatic mode. In each mode, it has a normal and sport setting. The SMG tranny is actually a 6 speed manual transmission, meaning it has a clutch just like a 6 speed manual transmission with a clutch. The difference though is that it doesn't have a clutch pedal inside the driver compartment. It has a hydraulic pump that does the work of pushing in the clutch for you, thereby saving your left leg muscles. The computer senses that you or the automatic mode computer wants to make a gear change, and tells the pump to press in the clutch, then makes the gear change and then lets the clutch out. It's pretty cool. It's similar to the SMG on a M3, M5, or M6 though not the same unit. The M units have more shift modes. In manual mode, in either the normal or sport setting, the driver can shift the transmission up or down using either the console shifter or the steering wheel gear shifters. The steering wheel gear shifters are different than the M cars in another respect. There are two shift paddles, one on either side of the wheel. BMW likes the idea of pushing away from the driver's position for a downshift and pulling the shifters toward the driver for an up-shift. The M shifters are different, the paddle on one side on the steering wheel is for up shifting and the paddle on the other side is for downshifting. So there are similarities and differences in the applications. Either way, BMW has created a very neat way that the driver can get more engaged with the 550i on fun roads and driving situations, or in traffic can put it into the full automatic mode with a flick of the console shifter and not have to hassle with the shifting.

How can you tell if a 550i has SMG? There should be several ways. One, ask your local BMW dealer to look up the VIN number, and tell you the tranny code. Two, the console gearshift knob should say 'SMG' on it. Three, when you test drive it, you'll definitely feel the 6 speed tranny, I think BMW Steptronics went to 7 speeds in the E60, though I'm not sure about that, but the Steptronics shifters between a 5 speed in the 540i and Steptronics in the 550i feel similar. Four, you could look under the car and look at the tranny, and see the hydraulic pump, but that's not the easiest method!

Ok, in summary, how do I like the SMG in my 550i Sport? Well, as a whole, I love it! Sure, I wish it had more settings for shift speed and shift firmness such as the M5 SMG. But, I think the 550i is more reliable, less expensive to own, insure, maintain, and gets 20% better fuel mileage than a M5 so there's my trade off. Add on top of that, the fun I have with the added power over my old 540i Sport which this car replaced, I'm satisfied. I bet the Steptronics tranny with the steering wheel paddles is engaging as well, but when you're driving an SMG tranny, it feels more like a 6 speed manual. Go test an SMG if you can find one, I think they're kind of rare.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Its more automated than manual, In my opinion.
As it down shifts the gears for you when you break (and I hate that). Maybe I'm comparing to much with the manual transmission.. It does give you the shaking when you let the gas go just like the manual does, but never shuts off the car. Which pissed me off when I first started driving the manual .
I drive an SMG and I like it, and makes sense with some traffic we got here.. Nothing comes close to real clutch and manual transmission. Just my .2c.
Sorry for going of topic.

Originally Posted by BMWSHO
I have a 2007 550i Sport with the SMG tranny. The SMG tranny is a unique transmission. In the 550i application, it has a manual mode and an automatic mode. In each mode, it has a normal and sport setting. The SMG tranny is actually a 6 speed manual transmission, meaning it has a clutch just like a 6 speed manual transmission with a clutch. The difference though is that it doesn't have a clutch pedal inside the driver compartment. It has a hydraulic pump that does the work of pushing in the clutch for you, thereby saving your left leg muscles. The computer senses that you or the automatic mode computer wants to make a gear change, and tells the pump to press in the clutch, then makes the gear change and then lets the clutch out. It's pretty cool. It's similar to the SMG on a M3, M5, or M6 though not the same unit. The M units have more shift modes. In manual mode, in either the normal or sport setting, the driver can shift the transmission up or down using either the console shifter or the steering wheel gear shifters. The steering wheel gear shifters are different than the M cars in another respect. There are two shift paddles, one on either side of the wheel. BMW likes the idea of pushing away from the driver's position for a downshift and pulling the shifters toward the driver for an up-shift. The M shifters are different, the paddle on one side on the steering wheel is for up shifting and the paddle on the other side is for downshifting. So there are similarities and differences in the applications. Either way, BMW has created a very neat way that the driver can get more engaged with the 550i on fun roads and driving situations, or in traffic can put it into the full automatic mode with a flick of the console shifter and not have to hassle with the shifting.

How can you tell if a 550i has SMG? There should be several ways. One, ask your local BMW dealer to look up the VIN number, and tell you the tranny code. Two, the console gearshift knob should say 'SMG' on it. Three, when you test drive it, you'll definitely feel the 6 speed tranny, I think BMW Steptronics went to 7 speeds in the E60, though I'm not sure about that, but the Steptronics shifters between a 5 speed in the 540i and Steptronics in the 550i feel similar. Four, you could look under the car and look at the tranny, and see the hydraulic pump, but that's not the easiest method!

Ok, in summary, how do I like the SMG in my 550i Sport? Well, as a whole, I love it! Sure, I wish it had more settings for shift speed and shift firmness such as the M5 SMG. But, I think the 550i is more reliable, less expensive to own, insure, maintain, and gets 20% better fuel mileage than a M5 so there's my trade off. Add on top of that, the fun I have with the added power over my old 540i Sport which this car replaced, I'm satisfied. I bet the Steptronics tranny with the steering wheel paddles is engaging as well, but when you're driving an SMG tranny, it feels more like a 6 speed manual. Go test an SMG if you can find one, I think they're kind of rare.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I loved SMG on my previous auto M3. But it has a problem with pump. The clutch has longer life time with SMG then manual.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by kamikazeracer
Looks like I found the answer after doing more searching on these forums. I read "Rudy"'s post: https://5series.net/forums/topic/426...ort-automatic/

No SMG option for the 2008, appears to be three tranny options: Manual, Steptronic, or Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT). The SAT was a $500 option and included paddles and a "Sport" Mode. Thanks
I can vouch....the SAT is LOTS of fun to drive!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:54 PM
New Members

The 540i sport was by first baby step into BMW's product line. I liked the car and it was very reliable with just 3 maintenance issues at 1K each time. My goal was to take baby steps and get into an E39 M5, but when I test drove this car and another one like it, I was convinced I didn't really need the Godzilla M5. I live in the tri-state area and the northeast corridor is crazy with traffic. Most of the time it's not that bad, but when the occasion happens, and all hell breaks loose on the highways, for whatever reason, I know I be really glad I'm driving the SMG and not a manual. And meanwhile the SMG manual w/ the 4.8L V8 with 360 HP and TQ is a hoot to drive! I'm enjoying it.

I wish I lived in an area where I could own a manual and never have to worry about left leg fatigue, but that's not the reality of the situation. Anyone who has ever driven CT to Washington 10 times, knows that the likelihood of some nasty traffic jams somewhere along the way is greater than 50% unless they travel in the middle of the night! So SMG takes a little bit of the hassle out of the trip.