E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 535xi Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi (European Delivery 6/12/2007): Monaco Blue, Creame Biege Leather, Dark Poplar, Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, 17" Style 243 Wheels, Nav, HUD, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision, PDC, Comfort Access, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather, Logic 7, HD Audio, iPod, Folding rear seats.

Yesterday evening, while driving my 2008 535xi home from work, the Check Control monitor displayed the ?Low Oil? icon. Immediately thereafter, iDrive displayed a more detailed warning, to the effect that the oil level was below the minimum acceptable level. Called my local BMW retailer in Bellevue about this, but was told (probably by the Parts guy) that the twin turbo engines burn a quart or two of oil in the first 7-8,000 miles (mine has ~8,500 miles on the clock). Simply stop by in a day or two, I was told, and a technician would top off the crankcase.

However, once I had the car back home in my garage, I popped the hood and took a look. There was engine oil on the front of the engine and oil had pooled on the shelf/bracket/shield under the oil cooler. Obviously a leak somewhere, most probably having to do with the oil cooler. (Note that I did not go back into iDrive to get an oil level reading)

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any possibility that the oil cooler took a stone from the road and was punctured? Or, does this look more like a leaky fitting?

Many thanks for your insights!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi (European Delivery 6/12/2007): Monaco Blue, Creame Biege Leather, Dark Poplar, Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, 17" Style 243 Wheels, Nav, HUD, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision, PDC, Comfort Access, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather, Logic 7, HD Audio, iPod, Folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by Kimbo' post='521257' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:26 AM
Yesterday evening, while driving my 2008 535xi home from work, the Check Control monitor displayed the ?Low Oil? icon. Immediately thereafter, iDrive displayed a more detailed warning, to the effect that the oil level was below the minimum acceptable level. Called my local BMW retailer in Bellevue about this, but was told (probably by the Parts guy) that the twin turbo engines burn a quart or two of oil in the first 7-8,000 miles (mine has ~8,500 miles on the clock). Simply stop by in a day or two, I was told, and a technician would top off the crankcase.

However, once I had the car back home in my garage, I popped the hood and took a look. There was engine oil on the front of the engine and oil had pooled on the shelf/bracket/shield under the oil cooler. Obviously a leak somewhere, most probably having to do with the oil cooler. (Note that I did not go back into iDrive to get an oil level reading)

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any possibility that the oil cooler took a stone from the road and was punctured? Or, does this look more like a leaky fitting?

Many thanks for your insights!
Oil Cooler Replaced
I picked up my 535xi this morning at BMW of Belleue. My thanks to Mark M. for working the repair into their schedule and getting the car back to me for the weekend. (the car was purchased through another dealer). The car had 8,447 miles on the odometer.

Here is a quote from the repair order:
"Found oil leaking from the upper lerft hose fitting of oil cooler. Tried a new O-ring, this did not fix the problem. The oil leak was from the oil cooler itself. Replace oil cooler. There was engine oil all over the engine bay. Cleaned all oil from the engine bay and under the car.

BTW, as I was driving the car in for the repair earlier in the week, I got an adaptive headlight fault message. The technician at BMW of Bellevue did "GT1 short test. LM fault codes 9CBF SMC, signalling right side, 9CB9 battery exhausted, and 930C AHL system fault. All faults not currently present and a fault frequency of one time. Cleared fault memory"
Old 11-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Members

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY 04 545I A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. IT WAS A VACCUM PUMP IN THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE THAT WAS LIKE $500 TO REPLACE CAUSE THERE IS NO GASKET TO REPLACE IT