E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 535i ... Possbile Lemon??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 535i ... Possbile Lemon??

I love this 535i, it honestly is the ultimate driving machine... when its not in the shop. Ive had this car for 9 months and put slightly under 13k mi on. It has been in service 5 times for a total of 38 days. I want to get rid of it, but im not sure if I should. It seems at this point I'm almost getting something for nothing. Well... besides my $680, frustration, trips back and forth, and fuel into loaner cars. I'm not sure how to handle this. is this car a bottomless pit that will only continue to cost me money and frustration or is it all FINALLY fixed??? Help me out guys!

09/04/12 - Bought this 2008 535i with 54,802mi for $26k...Came with a 12k mi warranty and I purchased an additional 36k miles through United Auto Care.

10/22/12 - 56,411 mi - Started getting waste gate rattle and the service engine light came on. I took the car to my local "stealership" (Savage BMW in Ontario, Cal). I got a call saying that the waste gates simply need a manual adjustment and it would be ready by end of business. SI B11 13 07 specifically states not to adjust the existing waste gate actuator control rods. For a service advisor to tell me they want to do the opposite of a factory bulletin, and are unaware of the SIB is a definite red flag.

10/24/12 - 56,464 mi - Picked up my car and took it to Shelly BMW in Buena Park, Cal... my SA was very knowledgeable on the vehicle and the N54 issues. Eventually my extended warranty authorized replacement of both waste gate actuator control rods. I also needed the oil filter housing and cooler gasket replaced. I had to pay $160.

10/31/12 - 56,470 mi - It seems as though replacing the actuator rods did not solve the issue. Immediately after closing the work order they opened a new one and had both turbos replaced under the 8/80 factory emissions warranty. No additional cost to me.

02/16/13 - 62,127 mi - Check engine light on again, car was really sluggish with a very rough idle. Less seriously the navigation stopped working and my front tires started to rub when going through dips and making turns.... The dealer ended up replacing the fuel injectors which was also covered by the 8/80 emissions warranty. The navigation unit was not covered by any warranties and they claimed to not be able to duplicate the tire rub issue. No additional cost to me.

03/05/13 - 63,061 mi - Check engine light on again. Screen displays 'Engine malfunction, reduced power' and the car was really loud when idling and especially loud on cold start ups. Dealer found faulty vacuum lines and rear crank main seal leaking. Warranties did not cover vacuum lines, rear seal was replaced. I paid $400

05/24/13 - 67,308 mi - While driving the car, it started to smoke severely from the underside. After pulling over oil started pooling between the tires. I towed the car into the dealer where they found cracked and leaking transmission cooler lines. I paid $120

My biggest concern is that this vehicle is only going to continue to give me more and more issues in the future. I'm not sure if this car is a POS or if I just got one that was under maintained and ready for overhaul. I spoke to a lemon law lawyer and was told I have a case... However I'm not sure how to proceed.

My hang up is here. I bought this car 9mos ago and have had $10k+ in repairs, $680 of which I have been responsible for and most of which was covered by my $2800 extended warranty.

Last edited by Etil_BigPuNn; 06-05-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
New Members

Sorry its so long winded.... but i had a lot to get off my chest!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ouch! Sadly to say, not all BMW's are perfect. I hate to say this and I am looking for some wood at the moment, but I've really had no issues with my 535 and it's just hit 86K. Well, besides the typical HPFP change and a fuel fuel pressure sensor. And at the moment I have a slight misfire at start up which I've already narrowed it down to cyl 6, just need to see if its the plugs, a coil or the injector. I wonder sometimes why some cars have more problems than other though.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I'd say go with what your gut tells you.......that being said, I should have done that myself when I was contemplating getting my 2004 545i last fall.........
You do make me feel a lot better about my own issues, I have not spend any moneys OT a minor visit to my indy for an opinion on my problem, But mine are more cosmetic in nature (if you don't mind listening to the dingdong and see the cluster going in and out or up and down whatever one wants to call it). Been fighting this for 6 months now and refuse to go to dealer only to be asked to bend over.......(out of warranty).

In your case you'd think by now though that the bleeding has to stop and as long as you warranty covers this I'd be tempted to hang in there some more and wait and see what, if anything happens next......
Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Look at it this way - you've now taken care of a lot of the headaches E60 owners are likely to face, so why sell it now? It makes no sense to go through all that hassle for no reason, just to sell it and hand someone else a car that is now likely going to be much more problem-free. "Here, I fixed it all for you!" You might as well reap the benefits of your trouble. And really you're not in bad shape yet, $680 out of pocket for all those repairs is nothing.

I know people tend to get understandably upset and frustrated with car issues like this, and it sucks to go through - but it's much better to make a rational/smart decision about it, rather than an emotional one.

Of course, if the pattern continues then I'd escalate the options you're considering. Not sure on lemon law scope/details, but wouldn't hurt to find out.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Is you NAV working again? I agree with the above posts. You seem to have fixed a lot, so see if you can now get some trouble free enjoyment.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you flipped the "should I buy a used 335i/535i?" coin and landed on tails. You're at less than 12,000 miles of ownership and the car has undergone $10K worth of repairs. There is zero chance I'd be willing to own that car for another 12,000 miles, but only you can answer that question for yourself.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

I had similar issues after purchasing mine...I fixed all the major problem under warranty and its been fine ever since. I wouldn't get rid of it after doing so much work, now you should have a closer bond. I found, most things you can DIY yourself.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Etil_BigPuNn
. I spoke to a lemon law lawyer and was told I have a case... However I'm not sure how to proceed.

HI sounds like you have a minty fresh car now with all the repairs. Id drive this car till the warranty is up then trade it or sell it.

Lemon law is strictly for brand new vehicle purchases only (I work in the biz) so this lawyer should be dropped like a bad habit. when you purchase a used vehicle you will have signed a document typically called the buyers guide in which it will describe that it is a used car and all the things that could possibly break on it and if that dealer is selling it as is or with a warranty.

Good job purchasing the warranty though on these cars best money you could ever spend I bought mine with 19kmi and just out of factory coverage but I still bought a warranty been bitten too many times to take chances! Hope it works out
Old 06-09-2013, 09:18 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by MP1472
Lemon law is strictly for brand new vehicle purchases only (I work in the biz) so this lawyer should be dropped like a bad habit
I always wondered what made people come on these forums and swear they are experts in certain "biz"... either way here's a little info for you. You'll see that these are ca.gov websites... and that vehicles sold "used" with warranty are eligible to be declared lemons.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf

Motor Vehicle Warranty and Lemon Law | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

Quick Reply: 2008 535i ... Possbile Lemon??