E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 535i ordered

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='477457' date='Oct 3 2007, 09:05 AM
MSRP: $52,775
10K miles
24 months
Amigo, Im sure you have a discount of some kind off the MSRP/above invoice...my calculations on a couple of scenarios based on BMW lease programs are:

$757.55 + 60.60 (8% NY tax?) = $818.15 Monthly
$52,775 MSRP and Purchase Price
.00225 MF
75% Resid (10k miles)
24 month lease

or

$715.99 + 57.28 (8% NY tax?) = $773.27 Monthly
$52,775 MSRP and Purchase Price
.0018 MF
75% Resid (10k miles)
24 month lease

These projections are at MSRP so, the lease price could get considerably lower based on your negotiated purchase price. Hope this helps!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Leasing is essentially renting. I like leasing, as I always want the latest and greatest when it comes out. The F10 better look damn good with this lease is up.

Rick - where is your new car?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='477558' date='Oct 3 2007, 03:43 PM
That is incorrect. The value of the car after the payments is still net worth. Once you give back a lease you have nothing to show for it other than the pleasure the car gave you while you had it in your possesion. The real advantage of leasing is the fact that you don't have to clean out your bank account for a down payment to keep your payments reasonably low.
Just giving my opinion, but doesn't a person who pays $30k for a $60k car and has to give it back after three years end up in the same place as a person who buys the car for $60k and has a $30k car after three years?

As I mentioned above, the major difference between leasing and buying is that the lessor does not have to gamble on depreciation. The buyer cannot change his/her mind if the car depreciates too quickly. The lessor can buy the car (at a discount) if it is worth more after three years than its stated residual value.

I think that some are making the argument here that the buyer will not actually "notice" if the car depreciates too quickly because he/she actually still has the car. True, but that is not the proper economic analysis about which choice gives the better bargain.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

There's one other way of getting a bargain...

1. Lease
2. Buy
3. Steal
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='477561' date='Oct 3 2007, 03:49 PM
Leasing is essentially renting. I like leasing, as I always want the latest and greatest when it comes out. The F10 better look damn good with this lease is up.

Rick - where is your new car?
Still Waiting . I should have my first one back tomorrow, or should I say today. I called the owner of the shop today and he said it was in the spray booth getting painted. At this point I just want my car back. This G6 pontiac rental is killing my back. Very torguey car this G6. I still rather have my twin turbo.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='477670' date='Oct 3 2007, 08:40 PM
Just giving my opinion, but doesn't a person who pays $30k for a $60k car and has to give it back after three years end up in the same place as a person who buys the car for $60k and has a $30k car after three years?

As I mentioned above, the major difference between leasing and buying is that the lessor does not have to gamble on depreciation. The buyer cannot change his/her mind if the car depreciates too quickly. The lessor can buy the car (at a discount) if it is worth more after three years than its stated residual value.

I think that some are making the argument here that the buyer will not actually "notice" if the car depreciates too quickly because he/she actually still has the car. True, but that is not the proper economic analysis about which choice gives the better bargain.
The answer to your first question is no because you still have a net worth of $30,000 using your numbers.

Bimmers are probably one of the best value retaining cars.

I'll give you an example:

If you were purchasing a home and apply for a loan at the bank your car will go down as collateral and become part of the net worth. (regardless of depreciation)(And that's why we buy bimmers, they retain value) If your car is leased there is no net worth in the equation because you don't own it. When you own the car, regardless if there is an outstanding loan, banks look at the book value of the vehicle to determine how much it will add to your net worth. They then subtract what you owe the bank for the car and deduct it from your net worth. I had this done to me when we purchase our apartment.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='476355' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:17 PM
The other option is to pay $60,000 over 3 years, and at the end of it, have a car worth $30,000 to show for it. No difference really when you think about it... !!

So true, I just ordered the 535i (fully loaded) yesterday and have been comparing the lease vs. purchase scenario for the past week. It really comes down to intended usage, and personal preferences...they come out about the same and on a per mile basis (hard to believe I know) but the purchase came out a few cents per mile LESS! Many variables in that calc though...I think perhaps one reason the lease is so attractive, is that many folks don't have (or want) to part with $30K (US) down.

Your lease money factor seems too low for the payment? I was quoted mf's from .0024 - .0026 (depending on the dealer). Good luck with you new 535i - I CAN'T WAIT to drive that twin turbo!! I ordered the Monaco Blue met with cream beige interior (just like the US brochure car)...but am tempted to change to the Black Sapphire met w/ the natual brown leather interior...just really like the way the two tone color combo looks on the interior...door panels, console, dash!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='476399' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:54 AM
At the end of three years, the lessor does not have to sell the car and bear the risk that the residual value will be low.

Leasing is just a gamble on residual values.

If you know that the car will only be worth $10,000 after three years (selling price $58k, and $31k out of pocket), would you buy the car? No.

If the actual residual value will be greater than the stated residual value, you would want to keep the car (and you can under the lease terms).

With interest rates so low, many people do better keeping their money in other investments (I guess you can do the same if you buy as well with finance).

Leasing makes great sense to a person like me who likes a new car every three years (always staying within the factory warranty period), and is willing to pay the wear on the three year new car over and over.

If you can tell me how much more of an "owner" you feel actually owning the car, I would like to know. No one treats me as any less of an owner of the car just because I lease.

Monaco (nice color by the way I just ordered a Monaco 535i myself), the residual values are set by the BMW finance (not the dealer) and what I was quoted on my 535i was 60% residual @ 15K miles/yr OR 62% residual at 12K miles/yr. (36 mo lease). I believe these values are lower than the car would be worth at the end of the lease as the dealer has to make a profit when reselling. It's like they are "pre-pricing" your trade in and are probably several thousand below dealer trade-in value. After all, when was the last time you tried to trade in a clean, low mileage auto in good condition and the dealer offered you anywhere near the KBB or NADA dealer trade in amount? So, getting back to point, I would rather sell the car myself in 36 mos to a private party and get significantly more than the residual for it...think about it, the dealer is going to mark up that $30K residual to $42K and probably end up selling it to someone for $39K...

JMO - but I really think it comes down to personal preference and life style. I keep my cars garaged, clean with low miles and have no worries that I could sell it easily if I decided to myself. Also, (I highly doubt this) but if I decided I hated the car after 12 mos, I would want to be able to sell it and get another and in a lease scenario - they make it soooo expensive to get out early - you are pretty much stuck with it. When I asked my dealer how to get out of a lease early, he laughed and said you would have to turn in the car and pretty much have a check for the remaining payments with it....he wasn't being totally accurate but did get his point across.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='478601' date='Oct 6 2007, 11:58 AM
When I asked my dealer how to get out of a lease early, he laughed and said you would have to turn in the car and pretty much have a check for the remaining payments with it....he wasn't being totally accurate but did get his point across.
That is true but stating it that way makes it sounds like those "remaining payments" are on top of the overall value of the car. The remaining payments + residual is what you owe the bank.

I have never kept a car until the end of a lease and I am on my 6th lease. My 535i may be different but with my previous 6 Acura's, the most I ever had to pay out of pocket (aside from taxes on the next car) was ~$500. The key to doing this is that you get the best possible deal you can (My good friend owns the Acura dealership) and pick cars that hold their value extremely well (this wouldn't work on a Tahoe or Impala). I like to be able to drive new cars as often as I wish.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='476404' date='Oct 1 2007, 04:07 PM
I see your point 'Russ' it's the same one that people who lease use on me all the time, but here is the thing....
1) In 3 yrs I'll HAVE A CAR & the title to it in my back pocket.
2) What my car is worth only matters if I plan to trade/sell.
3) That car you rightly say will be worth $30,000, will be on the dealer's CPO lot for $42,000.00+tax, tag, dealer prep etc.
4) I can drive as much as I want, (Here in S. Florida nothing is ever close to you.) with no worries.
5) I don't need to new car every 2-3 yrs.
6) In 6 yrs the leaser will be out $63,392.00 total, & STILL no car to show for it.
7) Oh, & make sure when you turn in the leased car it is pristean.

Phill
I do envy you in the US of A and especially you Florida dudes, I really have to consider moving...

1) $30,000 is nothing = about 21,000 Euros.
My new car retail price is 67,000 Euros = about $86,000.
It buys me only a 520dA, a 535iA would cost close to 100 k? = $143 k.

2) Some a) do not have the money b) invests somewhere else

In case a) one need to loan for the money for some interest rate
In case b) one could invest the money and get some earnings

3) BTW we have a 22% state tax and a 100% car tax - and a 22% state tax on the car tax as well

I still personally pay cash for the car and invest the rest of my bucks
Loan free as I am.

Quick Reply: 2008 535i ordered