5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   2008 528xi Jerks when accelerating (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/2008-528xi-jerks-when-accelerating-149828/)

Ben528xi 07-09-2019 07:43 AM

2008 528xi Jerks when accelerating

Hey everyone, its my first thread ive started because ive been going crazy on this problem,
I bought my first car 2 months ago, an e60 528xi.
Ive had to replace many things already which I expected, but now im at a loss here with the problem.
When I accelerate, not necessarily from a complete stop, the car jerks quite strongly, it kinda feels like something is slipping then it catches, then does it multiple times in one acceleration, I was told my a mechanic that it was misfiring and to change the coils, so while I was somewhat sure that it was a more mechanical problem because it felt like it, I changed them with new bosch coils, Even tho the car idles and revs just fine,
There are no codes according to my Carly for bmw
I replaced the transfer case motor recently and the prop shaft had some play in it when I bought it ( 2 months) according to mechanic
If anyone knows what the problem is or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I looked on youtube and did so much research my head is wrapped up. everyone seems to have different suggestions. I wish theres just a way to tell what the problem is ( Also if its okay to drive with it)
Im sorta on a tight budget atm which is why I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet.
Thanks in advance

tstiglich 07-09-2019 05:00 PM

When was the last time you fully serviced the transmission? Did you fill the fluid with the engine running? Did you replace the five rubber sleeves?

Ben528xi 07-09-2019 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by tstiglich (Post 1600953)
When was the last time you fully serviced the transmission? Did you fill the fluid with the engine running? Did you replace the five rubber sleeves?

Hello. So I’ve only had the car for two months so no I haven’t touched the tranny and I don’t know any history on the tranny. Ik that the “lifetime” oil isn’t actually lifetime. Also I didn’t know anything about 5 rubber sleeves?

tstiglich 07-09-2019 07:16 PM

Here is a general video for fluid replacement.

tstiglich 07-09-2019 07:18 PM

Here is one that details the rubber sleeves. 4 clyindrical, one rectangular.

tstiglich 07-09-2019 07:19 PM

Make sure the engine is running when you top off trans fluid. should be about 7 liters. double, triple torque all screws as the rubber compresses.

tstiglich 07-09-2019 07:21 PM

BMW maintenance intervals suck. Lifetime fluid means until your transmission fails. ZF recommends 60k miles.

Dad-E-Wagon 07-13-2019 10:45 AM

Do you have an idea of where in the rev range this behavior is occurring? I've been having a similar issue with my '08 535xi wagon and it took a while before it threw any codes. I get a stutter that feels just like a misfire from around 3-4K RPM. Its not gear changes, and its not slippage as far as we can tell. My Indy looked at it and thinks it is a VANOS gear issue, which is inside the engine, rather than a simple solenoid. He is also suggesting at least plugs, and coils, and possibly injectors. Initially we were suspecting a Xfer case actuator but with the engine codes it eventually gave, the engine became the point of focus. At this point I'm driving it with the expectation of more codes to guide my mechanic. Good luck tracking it down and If you find a solution to your dilemma please be sure to post it here for the benefit of all.

Thanks!

Michaelmajorana 07-14-2019 08:38 AM

Reading what you have said about your car jerking and shifting hard. Sounds like a dirty Valve Body spools hanging up or weak solenoids. Matthew Cole,s Company can do the rebuild. of the VB (513) 886-1215

NOTE to the Forum
I am not a BMW professional but a self made auto mechanic. I just went through a Valve Body rebuild due to a transmission failure. I am now stuck with: Key in ignition, Sterling Angle sensor need reset . Car will not start or run, I hooked up a cheep code reader to try to remove faults but it didn't do anything. I don't know if the repair is good. Here is my question to the Forum does anyone live in the Genesee township of Flint Michigan that has a computer code checker that they would connect to my car to clear faults The car's message center is saying that a Steering lock is in-place but will not respond to my turning the steering wheel back and fourth

Ben528xi 07-15-2019 05:36 AM

Hey everyone thank you for your feedback. Ive taken them all into account and so far what ive done is replaced the coils with new Bosch ones, and im in the process of replacing the valve cover gasket ( not related to this just needed to be done) and after that I will be replacing the spark plugs with new Bosch ones which my mechanic suggested. fingers crossed, he seemed sure it was the plugs and ill be realy happy if it is. will keep you all updated
thanks
Ben