E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2007 525i Purchase - Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 328i

Originally Posted by Pioneer530' post='1004282' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:51 PM
I remember years ago, my indy mechanic told me that if I really wanted a solid family car with good storage I should get a 5 series wagon. I didn't listen and went on to buy a Mountaineer and a Yukon. Wish I had listened to him. I will assume that a 5 wagon is still a good bet if you need storage and a good ride and performance, neither of which these SUVs provided.
A word of caution about the 525, I think it is underpowered for the size and weight of the car and this may annoy you. I went with the 530 for the larger engine and don't regret it. But if you are OK with less HP, then I don't think you can go wrong with a 5. I think the sedans have a ton of interior room and huge trunks so definitely are a family car.
Well, back from our test drives. In a bit of a pickle. The 07 530xi wagon felt very good, and was extremely roomy and had nice options - basically has everything we want, which is an awesome family all around car that I don't get bored driving. It appears to be really well priced for its options and is on the higher end of our price range. However, I didn't feel that tickly wow feeling I felt when I first drove my 328. It just feels a bit sluggish. Obviously with higher weight, etc. this is to be expected, but I also suspect the AWD had something to do with it not feeling quite as snappy. One downside of the car is that it is more rare (5er wagons seem to go real quick in this area) and so there may be less wiggle room on price, as this is on the high end of doable for us. Also downside is the exterior/interior combination. Titanium Silver outside (which we like, although our 328 is same color) but the interior is gray leather. It is just visually blah and drab. But then again, kids, etc. - it should be a plus that dirt doesnt show as easily right? Thinking as a soon to be father versus my basic pure desire for fun and performance is harder than I thought - especially at this price range. )

The other car we drove was a 525 sedan. It also felt a tad sluggish compared to the 328, but it did seem more taught than the wagon. Just felt more snappy and crisp - but I again wonder how much of that is due to awd vs my 328's rwd which I am so used to. Neither 5er has sport package, just premium, and cold weather, pretty base, with the wagon having a few extra perks. Both cars appear to be built in mid to late 2006, so Im guessing they are pre-facelift. I still can't figure the difference, but is probably due to my slowness.

SO here we are. Do I pull the trigger on the rare wagon and pay more for a few perks/upgrades (sat radio, park distance, xenon) and extra space even though Im not totally floored by it?

Or do I pay about 3-4k less for a sedan with less space, a few thousand less miles, but more attractive color combo, peppier ride, but slightly less practical for family?

OR do I wait on the "perfect" 5 wagon that may or may not come down the pipeline? Is the availability of a 5 wagon that is ALMOST perfect reason enough to jump?

Argh. Obviously I'll figure this out, but I had to share. Thanks again guys!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

go for it. try getting a 530i. that little more hp does help and mpg is about the same. shop around and u'll get the same price. and DEFINITELY get the sports package! It's a must.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1004529' date='Sep 10 2009, 11:10 PM
go for it. try getting a 530i. that little more hp does help and mpg is about the same. shop around and u'll get the same price. and DEFINITELY get the sports package! It's a must.
I agree. If you value handling and body control, don't get it without the sports package (if you are talking about a non-Xi car). There is a propound difference in the handling of the E60 with sports package and without it. When I loaned a non-sport package E60, I was shocked at how floppy the handling was and how poor the body control was especially in the turns.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Quite a dilemma you face there!! Oh a BMW or a BMW???? What should I do??? I would bite the bullet, get the 530i but wait for one to come around that has more of the features you want! Especially if you were going to save a couple of thousand dollars on the sedan in the first place! Good Luck, and keep us posted!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 328i

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1004648' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:04 AM
Quite a dilemma you face there!! Oh a BMW or a BMW???? What should I do??? I would bite the bullet, get the 530i but wait for one to come around that has more of the features you want! Especially if you were going to save a couple of thousand dollars on the sedan in the first place! Good Luck, and keep us posted!
I know, talk about being greedy. But a dilemna I'm happy to be in, and glad to be sharing with people that know and love the 5 series.

I decided to see if the dealer will give me the 530 wagon at a price that makes me jump. If the offer isn't good enough (I'm a second time buyer from same guy in 2 years so I'm hoping he hooks me up) then I walk away from the wagon and hunt for 525's and 530's available. I cant shake the desire for this wagon, but a 530 sedan sounds good too. CPO market in DC area is kind of rough right now though in terms of low mileage 5'ers. Plenty of high mileage options out there, just not what I'm looking for. And lots fewer 530's with relatively low mileage.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by skiajl6297' post='1004985' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:33 PM
I know, talk about being greedy. But a dilemna I'm happy to be in, and glad to be sharing with people that know and love the 5 series.

I decided to see if the dealer will give me the 530 wagon at a price that makes me jump. If the offer isn't good enough (I'm a second time buyer from same guy in 2 years so I'm hoping he hooks me up) then I walk away from the wagon and hunt for 525's and 530's available. I cant shake the desire for this wagon, but a 530 sedan sounds good too. CPO market in DC area is kind of rough right now though in terms of low mileage 5'ers. Plenty of high mileage options out there, just not what I'm looking for. And lots fewer 530's with relatively low mileage.
I have had titanium silver with grey leather. It was rather blah looking. Currently have balck with Beige interior. It POPS!!
lOVE THE COLOR COMBINATION. I have never had a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Unless you actually need awd it may cost more to maintain and there may be an increase chance of problems. If I am wrong about that please a XI owner correct me.

BTW
Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='1005109' date='Sep 11 2009, 04:53 PM
I have had titanium silver with grey leather. It was rather blah looking. Currently have balck with Beige interior. It POPS!!
lOVE THE COLOR COMBINATION. I have never had a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Unless you actually need awd it may cost more to maintain and there may be an increase chance of problems. If I am wrong about that please a XI owner correct me.

BTW
I own a 2006 525xi and I find that I can rip the road with it and get no sluggish feeling at all, but maybe it's just my driving style. I have driven it at ridicously high speeds and it felt glued to the road and seemed ready for more. Have not had any issues with the AWD mechanism and it actually feels like driving a RWD because BMW AWD's are more rear wheel oriented. I believe they send 68% of traction to the rear wheels and the rest to the front wheel. I would advice the OP to wait for the car he really wants otherwise he'll hate driving this car, once the honeymoon is over. Mine is also black with beige interiors and the colors just pop. Very happy with this car now that I've removed all the previous owner's gremlins and updated the Idrive. If the extra 40 hp of the 530 are really that important, they can be easily obtained with some simple re-flash and intake change at much lower cost than buying the actual 530.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i

I went from an E90 to an E60 (335 to 535). 5 series is way better for the family. Slightly less "fun" to drive, but better overall IMO.

Definitely go for a bit more horsepower. I test drove a 528i, which seemed sluggish to me. Good for a 3, but not enough for a 5. If I were you, I would consider the 530i.

Talk to one of the board sponsors on Bimmerfest or if they are on here. They will cut you a better deal if you are on the forums and you use them
Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

welcome and whats your handle on e90post? i am there mostly as well
Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I Titangrau II

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1004556' date='Sep 10 2009, 11:33 PM
I agree. If you value handling and body control, don't get it without the sports package (if you are talking about a non-Xi car). There is a propound difference in the handling of the E60 with sports package and without it. When I loaned a non-sport package E60, I was shocked at how floppy the handling was and how poor the body control was especially in the turns.
I am so amazed to hear you say this. I am a new E60 owner I have had my 07 525I no sport package for about 2 months now. I am amazed at how my car handles I was driving a maxima before this and it is crazy to me how I can take a turnt at almost any speed I want and feel secure in this car. I guess it's all relative! What are the changes that the sport package adds?

Quick Reply: 2007 525i Purchase - Welcome