E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2007 525i Purchase - Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 328i

Newbie here, more of a frequenter of e90post.com, but am in the market for a new 5 series. Currently driving a 2007 328i stock, titanium silver, AT, Premium, etc. LOVE the car. Thinking of replacing second old POS junker car with another beemer, (god our neighbors will think we are douchy) and really am drawn to the extra size of the 5 series, with the familiarities of the 3 series. Not loads of cash to burn, so Im barely squeaking into this class of car, but am looking for a 2007-2008 CPO with low miles. Test drive set up for tomorrow for 525i. Any suggestions, recommendations, test drive ideas, etc? The three cars I am looking at are AT, Premium, Cold Weather Package, relatively low miles at 13, 17, 21k respectively. Colors are black, amethyst grey and monaco blue, all of which appeal to me. I see no reason why this would disappoint, but need some 5 owner's encouragement - is the car worth the step up from a 3 series? Good family car? I'm glad to be here and thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by skiajl6297' post='1003079' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:28 PM
Newbie here, more of a frequenter of e90post.com, but am in the market for a new 5 series. Currently driving a 2007 328i stock, titanium silver, AT, Premium, etc. LOVE the car. Thinking of replacing second old POS junker car with another beemer, (god our neighbors will think we are douchy) and really am drawn to the extra size of the 5 series, with the familiarities of the 3 series. Not loads of cash to burn, so Im barely squeaking into this class of car, but am looking for a 2007-2008 CPO with low miles. Test drive set up for tomorrow for 525i. Any suggestions, recommendations, test drive ideas, etc? The three cars I am looking at are AT, Premium, Cold Weather Package, relatively low miles at 13, 17, 21k respectively. Colors are black, amethyst grey and monaco blue, all of which appeal to me. I see no reason why this would disappoint, but need some 5 owner's encouragement - is the car worth the step up from a 3 series? Good family car? I'm glad to be here and thanks in advance for your help.
The build quality is much better in the 5 series. You won't regret the switch! Amethyst Grey is a beautiful color, that would be my pick
Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Vallkomen
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

First off to the forums!

The most important thing is to make sure you get the LCI (Facelift) model, which is March 2007 onwards. The easy way to tell is the LED strips in the rear lights or the front-lower-bumper-insert that slopes up at each end next to the fog lights, rather than down.

Otherwise I think it comes down to personal taste between those 3. Good luck and hope you enjoy the test drive
(But a 5er won't drive like a 3er, I'll warn you now!)
Old 09-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Go for it!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

to the forums!! I say do it! get the one with the sport package and an LCI late 07 onwards i think, and as for a family car it has plenty of space i have 3kids and they fit ok, only problem is they mess up your back seats, i don't mind, its just more work for me in cleaning the rear seats as for the color amethyst grey or Alpine white on black interior but that's me good luck!! and don't forget to post pics
Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Just DO IT! you won't regret it
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 328i

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='1003158' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:50 PM
First off to the forums!

The most important thing is to make sure you get the LCI (Facelift) model, which is March 2007 onwards. The easy way to tell is the LED strips in the rear lights or the front-lower-bumper-insert that slopes up at each end next to the fog lights, rather than down.

Otherwise I think it comes down to personal taste between those 3. Good luck and hope you enjoy the test drive
(But a 5er won't drive like a 3er, I'll warn you now!)
Thanks all for the warm welcomes! Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but why LCI Facelift model? Was there a facelift mid-2007 model - in other words are there two different platforms for 2007 5'ers? OWhat are the disadvantages/differences between pre-and post-facelift 2007 models? Cosmetic or functional changes? Etc.

Also, my first test drive tonight after work is actually an 08 wagon, which is really pulling me, so perhaps the facelift issue is moot for me, but I'd certainly love to know, in the event this wagon isn't for us. The more I consider our situation, the more I think we need to get a wagon for family, etc. Did any of you "settle" (ha!) on a sedan vs a wagon after test driving, even with family/space concerns? Is the space/family friendliness gained by buying a wagon vs. sedan worth the relative difficulty currently out there in finding wagons? Wagon is much harder to come by at low mileage from what I can tell. Or is there not that much family gain by getting a wagon? I'm just worried that if we get a sedan I'll later wish we had the extra space, hauling capacity, etc. of a wagon.

Thanks all!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

I remember years ago, my indy mechanic told me that if I really wanted a solid family car with good storage I should get a 5 series wagon. I didn't listen and went on to buy a Mountaineer and a Yukon. Wish I had listened to him. I will assume that a 5 wagon is still a good bet if you need storage and a good ride and performance, neither of which these SUVs provided.
A word of caution about the 525, I think it is underpowered for the size and weight of the car and this may annoy you. I went with the 530 for the larger engine and don't regret it. But if you are OK with less HP, then I don't think you can go wrong with a 5. I think the sedans have a ton of interior room and huge trunks so definitely are a family car.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Starting 2006, 525 has 3.0L engine rated at 215HP. So, it has adequate power for everyday use.

Quick Reply: 2007 525i Purchase - Welcome