E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 E60 Navigation Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 525i E60 with idrive. I did not purchase the navigation system from the factory when built. What is required to add navigation now. I have voice activated blue tooth etc. Do I only need the DvD?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

the screen is different and there is a quite extensive change over to consider and much more cost than simply adding it at the time of your purchase(different dash; DVD reciever; NAV system; screen; wiring etc). Its possible others have done it (check the threads)...as much as it might pain you if NAV is a requirement you might want to consider a portable device.

I dont think that this would be a very easy retrofit both in cost, time, and final outcome...
Old 11-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='351940' date='Nov 3 2006, 06:44 PM
the screen is different and there is a quite extensive change over to consider and much more cost than simply adding it at the time of your purchase(different dash; DVD reciever; NAV system; screen; wiring etc). Its possible others have done it (check the threads)...as much as it might pain you if NAV is a requirement you might want to consider a portable device.

I dont think that this would be a very easy retrofit both in cost, time, and final outcome...
Depends. Maybe he's in Europe and Business Navigation is enough. Then, it is NOT even close to that expensive.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Members

stay away from the business navi.. its not thatt god. youll be better off with a portable one WITH maps..
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='351942' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:47 AM
Depends. Maybe he's in Europe and Business Navigation is enough. Then, it is NOT even close to that expensive.
good point...then the reason for not upgrading is the end result. I havent heard great things about the Business Nav. Portable solutions are probably better (my humble opinion )
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Well, I do not agree. IT IS VERY GOOD. I am using it, while I always have a HP iPAQ 5550 with Navigon 5 and a Pocket Loox N560 with Navigon 5 and iGO Europe Navigation software with me.

To tell you the truth, the only improvement is the map, which of course is very important. But for simple audio and video instructions, Business Navigation is as good as it gets, just without a map.

If you simply want a map, then Business Navigation is not for you. If you simply want navigation this is as good as Professional Navigation. Also, in addition you always can have a small Pocket Loox in dash to check a dynamic map, like I do, without the need to have power to the mobile navigation device and cables all around you.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, please go with portable as suggested. It's quicker, easier, and more user friendly.
The only good thing I found for built in nav is showing surrounding street that I think I might get a short cut or through street.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stephen_powell' post='351932' date='Nov 3 2006, 04:36 PM
I have a 2006 525i E60 with idrive. I did not purchase the navigation system from the factory when built. What is required to add navigation now. I have voice activated blue tooth etc. Do I only need the DvD?
Look at my past posts. I posted full stanav pro retrofit instructions.

The only pricey parts are the 8" monitor, CCC unit amd the idrive high. If you can get these cheap off ebay all the rest of the components including the cables will only cost you about ?150 from dealers.

BUT you will have to get the software upgraded too. this is a two stage process. The CIP needs to be upgraded to latest version BEFORE you change the components. If you change the componenets and try to do it after, the system comes up with missing component errors and will not allow the upgrade. You THEN need to install the 8" screen/CCC/idrive and once done go back to the dealers to perform a nav/retrofit path upgrade.

Ring around with dealers and find some "technicians" that actually know what theyre doing and have experience. I went to one dealers (Lister Park BMW in Bradford, sorry, had to be named and shamed) and spoke to the head technician, graham there. The guy is about as useful as a cabbage. It took me about 30 minutes to explain to him the Voice Activation was a sub component of the NavPro retrofit and not a seperate kit as he kept insisting I had to install that too. Furthermore they wanted to charge 3 hours of labour for the CIP and then 3 hours of labour for the retrofit/path upgrade, total cost in programming over ?800 in itself.
Furthermore as my CCC unit had come from a german estate car, the voice module was in German and the display showed an estate car for the PDC. With regards to the language change and CCC reflashing they didnt have a clue.
Basically i ended up paying them ?135 just for plugging in an OBD and printing off a status report. They had the cheek to charge me labour for "time spent on the internet researching retrofit". So basically I was paying for their education.

However i went back to my local dealer (BMW Williams in Manchester) and spoke to Steve Harris, great chap, new exactly what he was talking about. He had no issues programming a previously used CCC unit and they did the whole programming for ?250 including the voice flash in the CCC. I had left my new components in the car (had done the wiring already) and he even had the decency to change the parts over for me (i'd forgotten to leave the idrive so had to go back and fit that). The CIP was apgraded to 23.1, the nav/retrofit path upgrade was done and the whole CCC unit was programmed to the latest software. It even plays MP3's now and the voice activation language is now english and the display shows a saloon car.

They also resetted numerous warning lights that had come up because i hadnt bothered to unplug the battery as i was chopping and changing bits in the car.