E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 E60 530d - Micro / Pollen Filter change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I have been slowly watching the timer count down to zero for the microfilter change. Having read other threads I have already decided to change them myself and have purchased the filters. On Monday it went to RED so I had planned to change them this weekend. However, today it is showing GREEN with a service interval of 1400 miles.

Any ideas what has caused this to reset?

Background info: Last week the change was due in about 100 miles (I think). I had an iPod install on Monday and when I picked the car up the warning had changed from AMBER to RED. I may have been right on the limit and hence the change from AMBER to RED has nothing to do with the install. However, as the install involved a software upgrade is there something in the new version that auto resets the microfilter and gives you a few more miles before it really wants you to change them.

One final question: When I do change them I shall reset the service interval myself. How long is the recommended period between microfilter changes?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya i had that happen to my 545... it showed yellow and then I made an appointment to have it changed and then the next day it went back up past 1000 and showed green. it uses probably air flow to do its calculation for replacement so once the fan is off dirt probably shifted a little and allowed more air flow to pass so hence 1400 more miles...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Change them now, nothing to loose....................CBS sucks, service intervals go up and down like yo-yo's.

BMW will have it that it is down to 'use variables'..................................bit like Microsoft's 'features'

Treat CBS as a guide and use common sense.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i. Bluetooth upgrade, SS brake lines, iPod interface upgrade. Air intake kit, sport suspension, 20% tint. Other: 2001 Audi A4 Avant: S4 suspension, 20% tint, painted calipers, slotted rotors, iPod interface, custom grilles.

Originally Posted by spelham' post='1086615' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi All,

I have been slowly watching the timer count down to zero for the microfilter change. Having read other threads I have already decided to change them myself and have purchased the filters. On Monday it went to RED so I had planned to change them this weekend. However, today it is showing GREEN with a service interval of 1400 miles.

Any ideas what has caused this to reset?

Background info: Last week the change was due in about 100 miles (I think). I had an iPod install on Monday and when I picked the car up the warning had changed from AMBER to RED. I may have been right on the limit and hence the change from AMBER to RED has nothing to do with the install. However, as the install involved a software upgrade is there something in the new version that auto resets the microfilter and gives you a few more miles before it really wants you to change them.

One final question: When I do change them I shall reset the service interval myself. How long is the recommended period between microfilter changes?

Considering it's the fastest and cheapest maintenance you can do to the car, you mine as well do it. Search this forum for how to reset your Service Settings in iDrive. It works really well and it will automatically set the recommended time (mileage) for you. I personally use a cheat sheet that I created which tells me when I need to service what. i.e. Cabin Filter every 10K. Brake fluid every 2 years. Oil/Filter every 5K. etc. etc. I'm on the more aggressive-side for service, but you get the idea.