5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   2006 BMW 525ix (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/2006-bmw-525ix-141359/)

Kasmo 03-11-2015 10:31 PM

2006 BMW 525ix

LOTS OF PICTURES! Scroll down if you dont want to read everything, Just explains a little bit who I am and the state of my E60.

Hey guys,

New to the site, but been in the BMW game since middle school (I am currently a 4th year student in college) :D So please move this if its in the wrong section of the forum. Hoping maybe some of my questions will bring answers to other Xi and all E60 owners as well.

I do apologize for the long read, but I rather say everything in one post at once. For those who take their time to read this. I thank you in advance.

Alright so I got my 2006 BMW 525ix in July of 2014. The E60 has been my favorite 5-series since I saw the E60 M5 concept. Iv owned a E34, E39, a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch, and now the E60 and ever since that car always caught my attention. So in July after an opportunity arose and after a few dealerships me and my dad visited the E60 was on the top of the list. I went in to look for a E46 or a E39 that was after facelift. Saw a E60 on the lot and fell for it.

So some info about the car when It was on the lot: The key information is bold.

• Got it used (im the 3rd owner) from a Chevy/VW dealership.
  • Had 97.8k on the clock when I drove it off the lot. (Currently has 102,5XX miles as of 3/2015)
  • Car had a clean car fax and was well taken care of as according to car fax.
  • steering wheel leather is chipping on the top of the wheel
  • ash tray in the front -> the cigarette lighter is broken, it stays down
  • bubble spot (quarter size) on the corner of the trunk
  • infamous passenger retrain system malfunction (I want to get that fixed without going to the dealership and spending a lot of money)
  • the tilt-steering does not work. I cannot adjust it. Thought it was the fuse but its not.
  • was sitting on 17" Sparco Wheels with brand new winter tires.
  • tinted windows, about 35% in the front, and 20% in the rear.
  • came with OEM BMW rubber mats and OEM cloth mats (drives side was in a bad shape)
  • scratch on the front passenger seat
  • xenon headlights

When I got the car home (course over the first week of ownership):
  • Me and my dad noticed the bumper was painted.
  • the fog lights had silver paint over-spray on them.
  • my passenger headlight was loose. It wobbled badly. The little plastic pieces on top were broken.
  • I later found out that the car was in a small accident (nothing too big), after I took out the headlight, we saw some evidence. The headlight bracket (the plastic piece under the headlight) was also busted on the passenger side)
  • noticed the tint job is pretty bad. Tint is pealing at some windows, small bubbles on all windows, and the film seems to be scratched up. You cant see clearly out of the rear window. Its blurry.
  • noticed that the radio (volume and heat/a/c controls panel) was not supposed to be carbon fiber, it was wrapped.
  • passenger headlight has a little condensation in it from time to time.
  • Something is up with my HVAC: 9C7B - Interior Temperature sensor fan. Thats what the scanner showed. It blows hot air all year round on the front window, even if the AC is on.

What was done to the car since its been in my hands:
  • After vising Bimmerfest and Bimmerfourm I read the "So you just got an E60..." thread...
  • Changed the oil once I hit 99k. While doing that my dad noticed that the oil plug tempered with, it was not oem, someone put in one of those universal ones in.
  • Once I hit 99.5k or so, we flushed the trans and put new fluid in along with a new filter (I have the pan with the integrated filter)
  • Fixed the light with the use of some E60 headlight plastic pieces that my dad bought on eBay.
  • I swapped all the OEM interior bulbs with white LED bulbs, also the plate lights were swapped. (Broke a piece of plastic off one of the rear plate lights in the process, its all good though)
  • cleared up the headlights (sanded them and buffed them out, they look brand new)
  • got new 6k angel eye bulbs. Which look great.
  • New battery from the dealership, because this past winter was brutal on the OEM battery. I did not get it registered.

What still needs to be done to the car [as of 3/2015, see posts through out the thread as I fix those things](Priorities):
  • Oil filter housing gasket went, need to replace this.
  • need new cabin filters, mine are really dirty.
  • Get my coolant measure stick out of the coolant tank. I was adding coolant one day, and the stick moved and was stuck under the top part of the tank. So i touched it to move it so its standing straight up and point out of the tank, i touched it lightly and it fell off its place into the tank, I cant fish it out.
  • fix the passenger retrain system malfunction
  • get/fix the tilt-steering so I can adjust it finally.

What I am still iffy on:
  • I have to have my NAV CD in the DVD slot to have Navigation in my car.
  • There is an AUX slot in the glove box, but not sure if that AUX is OEM (it works though, I use it all the time) (only one aux slot)
  • There is a small square on my dash in the corner (I think thats for the nav), also not sure if NAV is OEM. It works though.
  • The cigarette panel in the rear of the center console tends to fall out if I press on it. (Does not look broken).
  • What is that little hole that has a slide cover on thats under the arm rest? Is that like to cool off 1 can of a beverage? or what? lol

What I know about the car (apart from what listed above):
  • winter package
  • smokers package (that would explain all the outlets)

What I want to do to the car:

• fix everything thats wrong with it and keep it running
  • M5 style front bumper (I bought a OEM M5 used bumper, only to find out its not gonna fit, it was cheap, reason why I bought it, it was little banged up as well but fixable.)
  • a nice rear bumper
  • 18 or 19 inch wheels (looking at OEM X5 wheels as well) I also dont have a summer set up. I borrowed my dads wheels for my first summer with the car. lol
  • LOWER IT! (not stance it or anything, just give it a modest drop so it could be driven daily with no problem)
  • fix the tints (so get new ones)
  • muffler delete (seems to be a good cheap option)
  • maybe a updated version of iDrive (not sure if there is a software or something, to maybe make it look different)
  • update the maps somehow to current for my NAV (get a new cd i think)
  • black kidney grilles
  • maybe smoke my rear tailights (slightly)
  • maybe get new LCI headlight in the future
  • add a little umph for power
  • was thinking a supercharger (but its like 5k, and im not sure If ill have that much money to spend while I have the car...unless I land a good job after college and stay single for a little while lol :lol:)
  • new side marker turn signals (mine are currently turning yellow)
  • maybe a small lip trunk spoiler or a CSL style spoiler (which are hard to find and get for the E60, I know a guy sells them in Europe for 170 bucks or so, but he does not ship to the US. But I got connections, Im originally from Poland haha.

Thats all I can say from top of my head.

If you made it all the way down this list, Thanks! If you have any input or solution or advice let me know and post below! I will post pictures soon of the car. (Next post spot is saved for that) I will also keep posting my progress on here as well. So once again Thanks!

Kasmo 03-11-2015 10:31 PM

16 Attachment(s)
Reserved for Pictures.

First week with the car:

Attachment 154183
Attachment 154184
Attachment 154185

August-November

Attachment 154186
Attachment 154187
Attachment 154188
Attachment 154189
My brother was putting on his BBS away, decided to put one next to my car to see how they would look haha. THE RS style ones.

Attachment 154190
These were CSL replicas, that my dad let me borrow for the summer.

Attachment 154191
Attachment 154192
Attachment 154193

December to Now (3/2015):

New angel eye bulbs
Attachment 154194
Attachment 154195
Attachment 154196
Winter Fun!
Attachment 154197
Attachment 154198

wcr3d 03-12-2015 12:45 PM

What I am still iffy on:
I have to have my NAV CD in the DVD slot to have Navigation in my car.
Answer: Yes, this is normal for the CCC IDrive.
There is an AUX slot in the glove box, but not sure if that AUX is OEM (it works though, I use it all the time) (only one aux slot)
Answer: As far as I know the OEM Aux port was located on the back of the center console, passenger area. Yours is a common place for aftermarket and dealer installs.
There is a small square on my dash in the corner (I think thats for the nav), also not sure if NAV is OEM. It works though.
Answer: I have no small square in the corner, we would need a picture to assist you better.
The cigarette panel in the rear of the center console tends to fall out if I press on it. (Does not look broken).
Answer: There are some DIY's here and Bimmerfest that can assist you in properly afixing it or determining if it is broken.
What is that little hole that has a slide cover on thats under the arm rest? Is that like to cool off 1 can of a beverage? or what? lol
Answer: In short yes. Its meant to keep the compartment cooler. In the LCI's I think that is where they put the Aux/USB connectors.

Personally I would of returned the car immediately. But as long as you are happy, that is the main thing. Good luck with the mods and keep us posted...with pictures!

Kasmo 03-12-2015 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by wcr3d (Post 1559045)
What I am still iffy on:
I have to have my NAV CD in the DVD slot to have Navigation in my car.
Answer: Yes, this is normal for the CCC IDrive.
There is an AUX slot in the glove box, but not sure if that AUX is OEM (it works though, I use it all the time) (only one aux slot)
Answer: As far as I know the OEM Aux port was located on the back of the center console, passenger area. Yours is a common place for aftermarket and dealer installs.
There is a small square on my dash in the corner (I think thats for the nav), also not sure if NAV is OEM. It works though.
Answer: I have no small square in the corner, we would need a picture to assist you better.
The cigarette panel in the rear of the center console tends to fall out if I press on it. (Does not look broken).
Answer: There are some DIY's here and Bimmerfest that can assist you in properly afixing it or determining if it is broken.
What is that little hole that has a slide cover on thats under the arm rest? Is that like to cool off 1 can of a beverage? or what? lol
Answer: In short yes. Its meant to keep the compartment cooler. In the LCI's I think that is where they put the Aux/USB connectors.

Personally I would of returned the car immediately. But as long as you are happy, that is the main thing. Good luck with the mods and keep us posted...with pictures!

Some pictures added in 2nd post of the thread. And thanks! Ill take more pictures soon.

I am in a weird spot with my car, because I grew to like it and something in the back of my head is telling me that ill be driving this for a good amount of time. But on the other side I got this feeling that I should get rid of it and get something in stick or something cheaper (like a E39 again or a E46) Or maybe even trade it in for a E61 or a WRX.

The thing is I dont know how my dad would react to this. lol. I dont really know how the whole trade in thing works and I think my dad would be a bit sketchy and would say another different car again?!?! You had the car for half a year only!!! (he is the one that signed off on all the papers). I have no idea how much of the car is paid off, we got it for under 12k. I have no clue whats gonna happen. Every time I am away from my car (I dont drive much when I am in school), i start to think WRX's, Stick shift cars, E46 and lots of mods, so that all makes me feel like i chose the wrong car. But once I get behind that steering wheel everything changes haha. Plus looking at all the pictures I have taken of it, I always go Damn that looks good! So bad ass as is!. Always wondered why people hated the E60 styling, I found it cool since day 1.

Kasmo 03-14-2015 08:50 PM

Update: Thought the oil housing gasket was bad and leaking oil, I was mistaken. It was the little cooler thats in front. Got that changed out today. Really quick and easy job.

Anyone good with photoshop? I have a few wheels in mind for my car, but I would like to see how they would look on my car first. Just to get a general idea. There is a few wheels that caught my eye that people dont put on the E60.

Going to wash the car on Sunday and get some pictures, and post them here. I.e steering wheel, scratch on my seat etc...

Kasmo 04-27-2015 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Havent updated in a while, Not sure if anyone is even reading this. lol. Doing this to keep track of stuff I have done to my car.

Some small and new modifications:

Carbon Fiber Emblems, I ordered a wrong set, so the front one fit. Waiting on the trunk one to come in.
Attachment 154079

F10 Style LED side markers (carbon fiber, smoked lens), they fit on great, they do stick away from the fender just a little bit. Wanted gloss black ones buy bought these because of the price. They give a hypersilver color to them when the sun hits it lol.
Attachment 154080

Plate relocate. Got the tow hook thing. Always wanted one. I can adjust the angle and the plate. This seemed the first best choice I tried.
Attachment 154081

Also installed new cabin filters. Those needed to be changed badly.

I recently got the oil light again, 1 month after changing the gasket. Car isnt leaking anything, from what I have looked at, (quickly, i got to college so everything is done in the parking lot lol) Might go and check it out again once I have time. Just as a percussion a new oil level sensor will be installed. I also need a interior temperature sensor fan. So that will be replaced as well.

rice_rocket88 04-28-2015 10:15 AM

Got a couple more pictures of that F10 side marker? I'm debating what to get since my stock one is rather.. yellowish and ugly. It does get nice once I wax it but it only lasts a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the F10 ones.. and since I have a black car.. too much black might not do it for me (smoked lens) And of course.. just a new crystal clear one is simple.. but plain :)

Kasmo 04-28-2015 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 (Post 1562051)
Got a couple more pictures of that F10 side marker? I'm debating what to get since my stock one is rather.. yellowish and ugly. It does get nice once I wax it but it only lasts a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the F10 ones.. and since I have a black car.. too much black might not do it for me (smoked lens) And of course.. just a new crystal clear one is simple.. but plain :)

Ill take a few pictures hopefully tomorrow. The LEDs are really sharp looking when they are on. Also no error messages, mine stock ones were yellow pretty much haha, reason why I got new ones.

Kasmo 05-04-2015 10:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the side markers.

Attachment 154069
Attachment 154070

They do stick out a little bit. Might try to fix that.
Attachment 154071

Attachment 154072Attachment 154073

UPDATE: Switched over to the CSL style wheels again for the summer/until I save up for a wheel set up. My dad let me borrow them again. Also Plasti-dipped the kidney grilles black. They look good. The car looks pretty unique and cool with the silver and black/hypersilver combination I am going for.

Plans for the summer (if possible):
-Wheels/Tires
-lowering springs (I rather have a modest drop and sacrifice some ride quality vs, saving up for the next 3 years. I really find spending 3000 on coilovers pointless unless you are building a show/race cars or you auto cross. I dont plan on doing any of those things so I am going springs)
-Black roof (vinyl wrap)
-Bumpers
-new tints

rice_rocket88 05-05-2015 04:56 AM

Hmm that look is growing on me slowly. Yes the sticking out a bit might bother me, only more because I would think the water/rain might muck up the connectors just that little bit more than normal. I was thinking of these type:

http://www.carpartslights.com/images/S-E90-C-M.JPG

maybe without the silver.. definitely without an //M logo...