E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission "jumpy feeling"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525xi
Model Year: 2006
Default Transmission "jumpy feeling"

Hey guys! I am the proud new owner of a 2006 525xi… I picked it up a few days ago for $3900. Its in amazing condition inside and out but has 133k miles on it though. I absolutely love the car as this is my first BMW.

After taking it out for an hour and half today I noticed the transmission acting a little funky between 2nd and 3rd gear I think (maybe 1st and 2nd). When aggressively accelerating it feels strong, fast and smooth, all except for this one issue. It kind of "skips" or "jumps" just a little bit between these gears. It doesn't rev up or feel like its slipping necessarily, just a few tinny jumps between 2 and 3k rpms before shifting at around 3k rpms. Again, this only happens when Im accelerating onto the highway… just driving around town it doesn't do this at all.

Sorry my explanation is strange. Ive felt slipping gears before in other cars and I've felt hard gear shifts in other cars. This feels like neither of those things since it happens at a couple different points between the shifts.

Any insight into what the issue might the would be appreciated.

There are no transmission related service or warning lights on and I have no idea last time the transmission fluid was changed.

Last edited by joshlanier; 01-07-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Service the transmission as a start, it may have never been done. ZF recommends a transmission service around every 50,000 miles. I'm assuming the car is an automatic.

welcome to the forum.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My 525i does the exact same thing.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525I

Anyone figured out what this problem is cause I am also dealing with a very similar issue on my 2004 525i, I only have 118k miles on the car & from what I was told the car has driven fine with no major repairs needed the entire time so I'm hoping this is something that can semi-easily be taken care of.From the description of what your car is doing almost perfectly explains the issues I am having, also I agree with you it is a very hard symptom to try an describe but I also agree that it does not feel like slipping, at least no slipping problem I have ever seen or HEARD OF BEFORE.