E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 530I SPORT (DUNLOP) IDEAL TIRE PRESSURE FOR PERFORMANCE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi folks,
I need your help on this one!
I have a 2006 BMW 530I with sport package and dunlop tires that i purchased in July.
At the time i purchased the car it was set at 33.5R:30.5F.
While the car felt smooth, it was not overly responsive at all, and with 4 poeple in the car, it felt plain sluggish. Although i think there may be a problem with my active roll stabilization since the rights rear end dips sometimes and is not happy going over bumps (currently awaiting investigation of it by BMW NA).
These are the pressures that i have been advised to try by dealers:
29F:36R
32F:32R
34F:36R
34f:38R
35F:41R

so as u can imagine, i am a bit confused and annoyed,. I mean, there must be one set of tire pressures to maximize both straight line performance and cornering grip -- not even concerned with ride as much and not fuel economy. i bought a bmw to driv eit like a bmw, u know?

So far, 34F:36R feels the best, but still not great...my last bmw a 2003 330i, you could feel the communication between the front and the rear, the reacted at the same time, hoever, with this car and the ttire presssures givien to me, i cannot say the same.

so if anyone has any idea, please let me know.
also, if u hve a 2006 530i and u think ur car runs just fine, can u please share what pressures u are usuaing with me? (i have dunlop, remember)

thanks guys
Old 11-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by andrewnicholas' post='196793' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:06 PM
Hi folks,
I have a 2006 BMW 530I with sport package and dunlop tires that i purchased in July.
While the car felt smooth, it was not overly responsive at all, and with 4 poeple in the car, it felt plain sluggish. Although i think there may be a problem with my active roll stabilization since the rights rear end dips sometimes and is not happy going over bumps (currently awaiting investigation of it by BMW NA).

so as u can imagine, i am a bit confused and annoyed,. I mean, there must be one set of tire pressures to maximize both straight line performance and cornering grip -- not even concerned with ride as much and not fuel economy. i bought a bmw to driv eit like a bmw, u know?

So far, 34F:36R feels the best, but still not great...my last bmw a 2003 330i, you could feel the communication between the front and the rear, the reacted at the same time, hoever, with this car and the ttire presssures givien to me, i cannot say the same.

also, if u hve a 2006 530i and u think ur car runs just fine, can u please share what pressures u are usuaing with me? (i have dunlop, remember)

thanks guys
Do you have an off-the-line traction problem? If not, then run the highest you are comfortable with (of what's allowed). I run only 2 lbs. heavier in the rear.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by donv' post='196806
Hi folks,

thanks guys
Do you have an off-the-line traction problem? If not, then run the highest you are comfortable with (of what's allowed). I run only 2 lbs. heavier in the rear.
[/quote]

thanks for your reply.
yes the car is now at 34F:36R and it feels a bit sluggish off the line, done nore grip instantly and the front feels a bit floaty over the road. what do u run the pressures at?

Andrew
Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

My car, when delivered, was at 36F/44R - this has given my best experience in both precise handling and fuel economy. However, speed bumps required almost a complete stop to keep my kidneys from bouncing around.

Right now I'm running 30F/36R and that seems to be a reasonable tradeoff between pretty good performance and comfort. I know that if I want to go bang the car around some, I will take the pressure back up temporarily...

This is all with the original stock Dunlop runflats, by the way...

Cheers, Jon.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by andrewnicholas' post='196811
Originally Posted by andrewnicholas' post='196793' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:06 PM
Hi folks,

thanks guys
thanks for your reply.
yes the car is now at 34F:36R and it feels a bit sluggish off the line, done nore grip instantly and the front feels a bit floaty over the road. what do u run the pressures at?

Andrew
[/quote]
You are very welcome. I see. I thought you were worried about wheel spin. I go with about 34 R and 32 F. I would not have guessed your inflation would have created a sluggish feeling unless way low, say, somewhere below 30 psi. Incidentally, I don't worry much about performance on curved lines. I drive mostly on straight lines. But, I do feel one with my car. ~{;^)
Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by donv' post='196891
Originally Posted by donv' post='196806' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:20 AM
[quote name='andrewnicholas' post='196793' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:06 PM']
Hi folks,

thanks guys
thanks for your reply.

Andrew
[/quote]
I see. I thought you were worried about wheel spin. I go with about 34 R and 32 F. I would imagine your inflation would create a sluggish feeling unless way low, say, somewhere below 30 psi.
[/quote]

not sure waht u mean? you would "not imagine"?
also, its most noticeable ont he highway, does that mean i need more PSI or Less?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andrewnicholas' post='196894
Originally Posted by andrewnicholas' post='196811' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:30 PM
[quote name='donv' post='196806' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:20 AM']
[quote name='andrewnicholas' post='196793' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:06 PM']
Hi folks,

thanks guys
thanks for your reply.

Andrew
[/quote]
I see. I thought you were worried about wheel spin. I go with about 34 R and 32 F. I would [not have] imagined your inflation would create a sluggish feeling unless way low, say, somewhere below 30 psi.
[/quote]

not sure waht u mean? you would "not imagine"?
also, its most noticeable ont he highway, does that mean i need more PSI or Less?
[/quote]
I was editing when you were replying. See the [not have] inserted above. My car doesn't feel sluggish, but it is a 545i with some minor mods.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Members

Tire pressure changes are tricky and it looks like everyone here is going in the wrong direction.

- Lower rear tire pressure will launch better - try 28psi on the rear and 44 on the front.

- Higher front/lower rear will also dial out some understeer for better cornering. The 44F/28R will turn MUCH better (more practical is 42F 34R). Car manufacters like to have lower front, higher rear PSI to add understeer which makes their cars "safer" for inexperienced drivers.

- Higher pressures cause less sidewall flex which is generally better for handling (cornering). Handling is not the same as fast launching.

On a related note, the sports package will mean you have stiffer springs which causes less of the weight to move to the rear of the car on hard acceleration. This is not good for weight transfer in RWD when you want as much weight transfer as possible to the rear. This may be counteracted with the gripper tires however.

Also, remember that a 10 degree Fahreinheit drop in temperature = ~1 psi drop in pressure. Colder temperatures = less tire grip too for launch.

- Sean
Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by smcd' post='196937' date='Nov 11 2005, 05:06 PM
Tire pressure changes are tricky and it looks like everyone here is going in the wrong direction.

- Lower rear tire pressure will launch better - try 28psi on the rear and 44 on the front.

- Higher front/lower rear will also dial out some understeer for better cornering. The 44F/28R will turn MUCH better (more practical is 42F 34R). Car manufacters like to have lower front, higher rear PSI to add understeer which makes their cars "safer" for inexperienced drivers.

- Higher pressures cause less sidewall flex which is generally better for handling (cornering). Handling is not the same as fast launching.

On a related note, the sports package will mean you have stiffer springs which causes less of the weight to move to the rear of the car on hard acceleration. This is not good for weight transfer in RWD when you want as much weight transfer as possible to the rear. This may be counteracted with the gripper tires however.

Also, remember that a 10 degree Fahreinheit drop in temperature = ~1 psi drop in pressure. Colder temperatures = less tire grip too for launch.

- Sean
thanks for the response?
but, hmm, are u sure?
cuz 34F:36R felt better than 34R:36F
Old 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andrewnicholas' post='196950' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:44 PM
thanks for the response?
but, hmm, are u sure?
cuz 34F:36R felt better than 34R:36F
Which part are you asking about?

The car will turn in much better with high front & lower rear (less understeer). You may need a while to get used to it since the car will feel different. Once cornering hard, the sidewalls are very important so you don't want it too low at the back.

Getting the best time at the drag strip in any car requires running with very low rear and very high front.

- Sean

Quick Reply: 2006 530I SPORT (DUNLOP) IDEAL TIRE PRESSURE FOR PERFORMANCE