E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 530 Low Coolant warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had this happen to my e46 after a day long highway drive, never saw any drops on the drivewahy either topped it up and it seemed ok. Had it at dealer for some other work a month later and had mentioned it to them and they had a look and notice a small leak from one of the hoses they said the reason I didn't notice anything on the driveway and only until the long drive was the heat must have expanded the rubber hose enough to cause the leak and the leak was slow enough that it just dried or burnt off so it didn't drip on the driveway. Have a look at the hoses and see if there is Amy residue on them?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by NoName545i' post='986351' date='Aug 23 2009, 01:35 PM
use distilled water
+1
Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by krusir' post='987239' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:48 PM
There could be minor leaking in the system. I do have exact same symptom in my previous e39 540i. The valley gasket in the middle of V-block is leaking. I did not know it until the leak goes worse and start drip from transmission case. Same idea could apply to e60 with I6. Not sure where is the weak point of this engine though.

The funny thing is that you only get this warning when engine is cold during morning, if you shot the engine down. Wait for 5 seconds then restart, the warning is gone. If you check the coolant later, it is in spec. I carry a bottle of coolant with me in trunk, stop engine immediately at morning when I got the warning. You will see the coolant is low at that moment, top of it. Used to do this few months once until within a month.... then I know I have to fix it.

After I replace the valley gasket, the problem is gone until I sold the car.

Simon.
I had the same problem with my 545i. I refilled the expansion tank 3 times over a 5 month period before I decided to take the car to an independent shop (no warranty). I didn't want to risk damaging the engine because of the Texas heat. Once there, the mechanic showed me that the coolant was leaking from the valley pan gasket on the rear of the engine. The next week I brought the car into the shop and had it fixed. Cost about $1600. But much better than warped heads or a cracked block. Kind of put a damper on some of the mod's I was planning, but I'll get there eventually.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Most dealerships will do a complimentary top-off....I had the same warning after 10 months of ownership of my brand new e60......

Just stop by your dealer, it's "normal"

a search on this topic will also get you a few answers about other mixtures for self remedy...I believe it's usually 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 coolant usually stated....
Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 550

yea i put in coolant all the time...i have been putting it less recently dont know why..put about 1500 miles every 45 days
Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by e60hodzic530' post='988043' date='Aug 25 2009, 11:26 AM
yea i put in coolant all the time...i have been putting it less recently dont know why..put about 1500 miles every 45 days
Update ... I took the car in for service and pointed out the issue. They ran a "pressure test" and determined there is a slight leak, but don't know where. I did not have time to leave the car and let them test the radiator, but that is where they want to start. I am hoping it is a hose or something less complicated. I neglected to ask what replacing the radiator will cost. Any ideas (I'm out of warranty)?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Joesph530' post='1012538' date='Sep 20 2009, 06:47 PM
Update ... I took the car in for service and pointed out the issue. They ran a "pressure test" and determined there is a slight leak, but don't know where. I did not have time to leave the car and let them test the radiator, but that is where they want to start. I am hoping it is a hose or something less complicated. I neglected to ask what replacing the radiator will cost. Any ideas (I'm out of warranty)?

cost for parts can be found on realoem.com

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mode...hg=17&fg=05

(price for the radiator is in the "MOUNTING PARTS F RADIATOR" section)

factor in the labor charge and it can get pretty pricey....GL..hope it's just a hose and not the radiator...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Having to refill the coolant isn't normal if you have to do it often - let's say, more than once a year.
The system is closed and pressurized.
It only leaks out if it exceeds the pressure on the radiator cap, which means it's too hot, or if it's leaking someplace, like a gasket, hose or the water pump.

I have a 2006 530xi with 44K miles which I bought new. I have never put a drop of coolant in.

Tom
Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by twh' post='1012544' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:15 PM
Having to refill the coolant isn't normal if you have to do it often - let's say, more than once a year.
The system is closed and pressurized.
It only leaks out if it exceeds the pressure on the radiator cap, which means it's too hot, or if it's leaking someplace, like a gasket, hose or the water pump.
I have a 2006 530xi with 44K miles which I bought new. I have never put a drop of coolant in.
Tom
Based on my personal experience with my "newer" BMWs (say since 1994) the plastic components of cooling systems are very very very problematic - especially for a vehicle in its price range. "Slight" leaks should be investigated thoroughly and any need to add coolant indicates a leak somewhere. They start slowly ... a few ounces at a time and often "invisible" with no tell tale drips or other signs. These problems will be come more evident at 50K+ miles ... e.g. AFTER warranty

I suppose you could try to chalk up a slight fluid drop to evaporation or cold-weather 'shrinkage' [Remember that Seinfeld episode ] ?!?! But in my experience it's the start of something that will be more significant and expensive!

A couple of tips specific to BMWs:
1. DO NOT USE any sealants or stop leak products - BMW cooling and HVAC systems have filters that could be clogged by these products.
2. Use the proper BMW or equivalent coolant mixed 50-50 with distilled water if top off or refill is required.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1012552' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:28 PM
Based on my personal experience with my "newer" BMWs (say since 1994) the plastic components of cooling systems are very very very problematic - especially for a vehicle in its price range. "Slight" leaks should be investigated thoroughly and any need to add coolant indicates a leak somewhere. They start slowly ... a few ounces at a time and often "invisible" with no tell tale drips or other signs. These problems will be come more evident at 50K+ miles ... e.g. AFTER warranty

I suppose you could try to chalk up a slight fluid drop to evaporation or cold-weather 'shrinkage' [Remember that Seinfeld episode ] ?!?! But in my experience it's the start of something that will be more significant and expensive!

A couple of tips specific to BMWs:
1. DO NOT USE any sealants or stop leak products - BMW cooling and HVAC systems have filters that could be clogged by these products.
2. Use the proper BMW or equivalent coolant mixed 50-50 with distilled water if top off or refill is required.
I'm sure you are correct. The technician confirmed some sort of SLIGHT leak based on the pressure test, but did not have the time to remove all of the trim around the radiator / coolant system to determine the exact source of the leak. It is very minimal at this time and they told me to keep an eye on it and bring it in when I could leave it for more than an hour. It is definately more than simple evaporation.

I have had 9 other BMWs and never had any coolant issues, which is why this matter greatly concerned me. I just bought the car in April from a very well known BMW dealership. I have no doubt that the car had the issue at this time, but do to the minute size of the leak and how little the car is driven, it was not discovered until a couple months later.

Quick Reply: 2006 530 Low Coolant warning