5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   2005 BMW 545i Initial Repair Questions (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/2005-bmw-545i-initial-repair-questions-149400/)

unlucky2.1.2012 02-24-2019 08:01 PM

2005 BMW 545i Initial Repair Questions

BMW Newbie here from Sunny San Diego,

I just bought a 2005 BMW 545i with the 4.4 V8 with 95k miles. I am not sure if the BMW is equipped as a base or sport. It does have two different size tires. I took it a BMW dealer to get a pre-purchase inspection done. It passed, apart from the following flagged items.

Repair Immediately flagged:
• Replace left/right front sway-bar links.
• Replace Thrust Rod Bushings.
• Replace Front Struts. (Found front shocks leaking)
• Replace rear tires 2mm or less. (What’s the best functional tire for just daily use)

Would benefit from being serviced soon Flagged:
• Fuel Injection service
• Coolant Fluid Exchange
• Differential fluid exchange
• Power steering system fluid exchange
• Four-wheel Alignment

So here are my problem questions.
How should I tackle the “Repair Immediately items?” I read that an Indy shop would be more cost efficient. I can do anything that is relatively easy to access with limited tools.
Per items that need replacing, what parts will be required?
Should I replace anything else while these repairs are in progress?
Would it be beneficial to buy all my parts OEM or better before taking it for repairs? If so whats a good site?
What order of priority should I tackle the Fluid Exchanges? Where should I take the BMW for services same Indy shop or a typical fluid replacement shop?

I am in need of BMW Compass Roses and experience to point me in the right direction.

Rangers Lead The Way!

unlucky2.1.2012 02-24-2019 08:04 PM

I guess my luck has run out. Two days on the clock. This morning I cranked the ol girl over and she started sputtering and rough idling. My RPM's would bounce around 500-700 and before I knew it, I got a SES for an increased emissions error. It does seem to level out after warming up; however, there does seem to be a decrease in throttle response and power. I found a thread talking about the the same issue so I ran to AutoZone and picked up a T30 wrench to pop the plastic engine cover off to inspect. Proud moment, my first crack at fixing her up. I checked the crank case valves (the orange rubber pieces) They seemed intact with no rot or signs of wear.

So now with that, what should my priorities be?

Will this be safe to drive to work in?

Why did the Dealership not find this to be an issue during the inspection? did not pop any codes? Its beyond me.

I do like the ol girl, so I want to get her in tip top shape.

kd7iwp 02-25-2019 08:27 AM

Did you not scan it for codes while you were at AutoZone? We can't do much without the codes that are turning on the engine light.

unlucky2.1.2012 02-25-2019 11:05 AM

Here are the codes popping. P0300-0308 misfire. The desk guy says it might be a huge vacuum leak with my two oil gaskets (Oil timing cover and alternator bracket gasket) that are apparently shot.

Thoughts and what the price should I be looking for: oil timing cover gaskets/VCGs/ABG? I had an Indy contact me with a quote for $3500 with valve seals and without the ABG. Seems like a dealers price.

I am also waiting on a qoute from a local Indy refferred by a member.

unlucky2.1.2012 02-26-2019 04:13 AM

Just received a quote from another Indy with BMW credentials. Little bit of a drive. 1600.00 parts and labor for the VCGs, Timining covers and the Alternator bracket gasket. Is this a fair quote? I am just waiting on the some suspension quotes.

gfactor 03-11-2019 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by unlucky2.1.2012 (Post 1599214)
Just received a quote from another Indy with BMW credentials. Little bit of a drive. 1600.00 parts and labor for the VCGs, Timining covers and the Alternator bracket gasket. Is this a fair quote? I am just waiting on the some suspension quotes.

Not a bad price for all 3 of those. The ABG, while only a $3 part, requires quite a bit of labor to replace. Also, I would want to visually check and verify that these are actually leaking before replacing. Regarding the misfires, you said you already checked the PRVs (orange looking things). What about the plastic vacuum lines that attach to the valve covers? Have you already checked these for cracks?