E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 BMW 530d

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011 | 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525D M Sport

hi, i am getting the same problem. i rev and the rev's climb but no movement... after afew secs the car shoots off!!! but like you all said sometime you need them secs i.e coming on to the roundabout or want to pull out quick. can anyone help?
Old 11-20-2011 | 09:54 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Here we go again............:-)

It is not turbo lag it is the transmission.

Had this since new in my 530D since 2005.

Because the engine has so much torque, it can often move off in second. however if you demand a quick getaway the transmission has a problem,. it tries to move off in second, it then recognises that the throttle position is requiring extra acceleration so it tries to change back to first.

Whilst it is doing this, all you feel is a rise in revs, and no forward momentum. Suddenly first is engaged and you take off like a rocket. It is a 'feature' of the ZF box, jags had a similar problem.................sorry 'feature' Both BMW and ZF deny it is s problem, believe me I have had engineers from ZF drive my car and they insist it is 'normal' when in fact it is crap.

The solution..............if you think you might need to move off quickly, select DS mode, this forces the car into first and you get instant acceleration. Not perfect but an effective work around. In fact if you slot it into DS then straight back in D it will still work, the car takes first and sticks with it.
Old 12-03-2011 | 01:16 PM
New Members

Thanks for the post. Have been really worried about this rather slow take off for some time. Worried I had a pup.

I suspect it is not good for the car, but a two footed take off is also very effective if you are in a tight spot. Left foot on the brake then with your right foot gently lift the revs, when you want to go let go of the brake and dump the right foot and off you will go. -Really fast challenge then is not to over do it and trigger the traction control. Would not advise anyone to do this repeatedly, but for the child in you who still wants the odd wheel spin, or traffic light burn off, it's a top tip.

Originally Posted by KAF
Here we go again............:-)

It is not turbo lag it is the transmission.

Had this since new in my 530D since 2005.

Because the engine has so much torque, it can often move off in second. however if you demand a quick getaway the transmission has a problem,. it tries to move off in second, it then recognises that the throttle position is requiring extra acceleration so it tries to change back to first.

Whilst it is doing this, all you feel is a rise in revs, and no forward momentum. Suddenly first is engaged and you take off like a rocket. It is a 'feature' of the ZF box, jags had a similar problem.................sorry 'feature' Both BMW and ZF deny it is s problem, believe me I have had engineers from ZF drive my car and they insist it is 'normal' when in fact it is crap.

The solution..............if you think you might need to move off quickly, select DS mode, this forces the car into first and you get instant acceleration. Not perfect but an effective work around. In fact if you slot it into DS then straight back in D it will still work, the car takes first and sticks with it.
Old 07-05-2012 | 12:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ta201ace
hi, i am getting the same problem. i rev and the rev's climb but no movement... after afew secs the car shoots off!!! but like you all said sometime you need them secs i.e coming on to the roundabout or want to pull out quick. can anyone help?

Hi,

Did you sort this problem out?? I've to the exact same problem with sound mount from turbo after light acceleration.

If you could help I'd really appreciate it

Thanks