E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 545i Owner Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Auto, Sport Package, NAV, Active Steering

I am a proud owner of a pre-owned 2005 545i with 29k miles. I've had the car for 2 weeks and previously owned an 02 X5 3.0, 04 325ci and 00 740i. Before pulling the trigger on the 545i, I test drove the 08 550i and 535i but couldn't justify the cost.

My initial reaction to the new ride is wow!!!!!!! I am however disappointed with the following:

- Road noise
- Harsh brakes (may have to get used to it viewing I was driving the X5 the last 2 years)
- I can't say that I like the active steering

The car was at the dealer last week and the idrive was reprogrammed and new brakes/rotors put on (front and back). I did complain about the road noise and was nicely told that I needed new tires (the dealer did not offer to replace the tires per service bulletin). The iDrive display did not power up on 3 occasions since picking up the vehicle from the dealer. It happened within minutes after picking up the vehicle and over the weekend.

I would appreciate some confirmation/feedback on the following:

- Those of you having issues with their iDrive display not powering on, does it happen on a cold start or after numerous starts?
- Do you experience griding from the brakes on top of the road noise from the tires? It is pretty noticable in my case.
- The front tires (Dunlop Run Flats) do have some uneven wear but there is still some thread on them and the rear tires look good. What is the life expectancy on these tires assuming occasional aggressive driving? Are you having a better experience with another brand of tires?

Thanks...
Old 10-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

When you say the iDrive doesn't power up, are you saying it never comes on? Do you have to restart the car to get it to come on? If so, then I'd say there's clearly something else wrong.

As far as the runflat noise, did you show the dealer the service bulletin? It's possible that you can get new tires for free if the wear pattern matches the pattern described on the bulletin. Don't assume the dealer is aware of that bulletin -- show it to them or ask them to pull it up based on the number.

I don't think any brake grinding is normal. I don't recall ever hearing/feeling that on my car(s).

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='482211' date='Oct 16 2007, 09:41 AM
When you say the iDrive doesn't power up, are you saying it never comes on? Do you have to restart the car to get it to come on? If so, then I'd say there's clearly something else wrong.

As far as the runflat noise, did you show the dealer the service bulletin? It's possible that you can get new tires for free if the wear pattern matches the pattern described on the bulletin. Don't assume the dealer is aware of that bulletin -- show it to them or ask them to pull it up based on the number.

I don't think any brake grinding is normal. I don't recall ever hearing/feeling that on my car(s).

Good luck.
Yes it does not come on at all even when I immediately restart. I've noticed that if I wait several minutes before restarting it does come on.

As far as the tires are concerned, since it's a pre-owned vehicle (not purchased from a BMW dealer) I have no idea when the tires were replaced. I was told by the selling dealer that the tires were probably replaced at 20k miles. I will pursue the service bulletin with the dealer.

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

If the BMW warranty is transferred to you, then you should be able to get the tires replaced (I cannot confirm this, or if the car is still under BMW warranty since it's not a CPO) As Rudy mentioned, show them the bulletin, and see what they say. Might require you to push them and/or BMW NA to get them replaced.

I had mine replaced with another set of Dunlop RFT. No noise so far, but it's still early - only 4000 miles on the new set.

As far as the grinding noise, my brake wear sensor was rubbing and making the noise. May not the same thing in your case, but worth having them check it out. The replaced the sensor, and installed new pads - no more noise.

Your i-drive issue definately needs to be looked at.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Road noise - yes, I have the same thing, and assume it is due to the RFs.
Brake noise - just the sensor squeal, can only hear it with the windows open.
iDrive - I have this problem, not as bad as yours tho. Happens every 3 weeks or so, usually when getting back in the car after a short stop. The problem began right after the dealer upgraded the CIP.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

yup i had road noise because of the dunlop rft's.
no brake noise for me.
idrive was rock steady for me until i upgraded to v25. occasionally it doesn't start up now but i'll do a manual reboot and its fine.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schwim' post='482274' date='Oct 16 2007, 12:59 PM
Road noise - yes, I have the same thing, and assume it is due to the RFs.
Brake noise - just the sensor squeal, can only hear it with the windows open.
iDrive - I have this problem, not as bad as yours tho. Happens every 3 weeks or so, usually when getting back in the car after a short stop. The problem began right after the dealer upgraded the CIP.
Per dealer invoice, the pads, rotors and sensors were replaced last week. In your experience did the squeal continue after all parts were replaced?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='482292' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:40 PM
yup i had road noise because of the dunlop rft's.
no brake noise for me.
idrive was rock steady for me until i upgraded to v25. occasionally it doesn't start up now but i'll do a manual reboot and its fine.
What is a manual reboot?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='482262' date='Oct 16 2007, 12:22 PM
If the BMW warranty is transferred to you, then you should be able to get the tires replaced (I cannot confirm this, or if the car is still under BMW warranty since it's not a CPO) As Rudy mentioned, show them the bulletin, and see what they say. Might require you to push them and/or BMW NA to get them replaced.

I had mine replaced with another set of Dunlop RFT. No noise so far, but it's still early - only 4000 miles on the new set.

As far as the grinding noise, my brake wear sensor was rubbing and making the noise. May not the same thing in your case, but worth having them check it out. The replaced the sensor, and installed new pads - no more noise.

Your i-drive issue definately needs to be looked at.
The car is still under warranty for another 21k miles or 24 months. I do plan on approaching the Service Advisor regarding the Service Bulletin.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='482211' date='Oct 16 2007, 06:41 AM

Good luck.

With 29K miles on the clock I think it falls outside the bulletin... it was for tires < 20K miles.

Quick Reply: 2005 545i Owner Review