E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 545 AS failure and burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Exactly on week after the latest software has been installed on my car it refused to start after sitting overnight. Roadside assistance jump-started the car and left. I took the car out for a test drive and got several errors on the screen including active steering failure and engine problem, power reduced or something like that. The message also said that the car is drivable but should be taken to a dealer ASAP. The steering felt much lighter than before. Anyway I drove the car for about 5 miles and decided to head back home. After turning the car off and restarting it in my garage all failures cleared but I think there is a burning smell coming from the car somewhat similar to what you get after very hard breaking. The car also lost the time settings and the time had to be reset. My question is what to do next. The AS failure is gone and I have nothing to present to my dealer. And what's more important should I drive it to the service dept or have it towed? BTW my car has only arond 7K miles and had no major issues so far.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Don't worry. Just take the car to the dealer and have them check it out. The faults usually are recorded in the car's computer and they can see what happened and fix the problem.

I had my AS go out a number of times, and they can resolve much of that with software.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:25 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 2 2005, 10:12 AM
Don't worry. Just take the car to the dealer and have them check it out. The faults usually are recorded in the car's computer and they can see what happened and fix the problem.

I had my AS go out a number of times, and they can resolve much of that with software.
[snapback]177965[/snapback]
not true, i have exactly the same experience, no fault found!
but since upgrading the software, no similar fault recur.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Jump started? Would that have caused the problems? With all the electronics on the E60 might have done somthing... Not sure but I thought I remembered hearing others who's had problems with the car after a jump start or helping others jump start.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:35 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 2 2005, 02:06 PM
Jump started? Would that have caused the problems? With all the electronics on the E60 might have done somthing... Not sure but I thought I remembered hearing others who's had problems with the car after a jump start or helping others jump start.
[snapback]178025[/snapback]
not really.

on another occassion, i was driving on highway at about 100km/hr.
just when i filter and going out of the highway, my steering just freeze, it turned heavy without assist.
AS failed light and buring smell came in.
drive slow to the curb, off the engine. buring smell continue, don't know what to do.
5 min later, re-start, car ran normal.

go back to workshop, no fault found again. the tech even told me that the smell is because i left my vent in open poistion that is why....i rest my case.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Oct 2 2005, 03:35 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 2 2005, 02:06 PM']Jump started? Would that have caused the problems? With all the electronics on the E60 might have done somthing... Not sure but I thought I remembered hearing others who's had problems with the car after a jump start or helping others jump start.
[snapback]178025[/snapback]
not really.

on another occassion, i was driving on highway at about 100km/hr.
just when i filter and going out of the highway, my steering just freeze, it turned heavy without assist.
AS failed light and buring smell came in.
drive slow to the curb, off the engine. buring smell continue, don't know what to do.
5 min later, re-start, car ran normal.

go back to workshop, no fault found again. the tech even told me that the smell is because i left my vent in open poistion that is why....i rest my case.
[snapback]178054[/snapback]
[/quote]

Last night my car ran fine but would not upshift automatically, I had to use manual steptronic mode to get to the nearest drug store. Idle RPM are pretty high also. In Drive they stay around 700 the moment I shifted it into Park they jumped to 1,000 and stayed there until the car was shut off.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 1 2005, 10:12 PM

[snapback]177965[/snapback]
Advise: anytime I get an error, I now take a picture of the IDrive screen.
When I had my last "severe" gearbox error, there was NOTHING recorded in the car's computer...but I had IDrive show a serious error message. My dealer basically didn't belive me untily wife acted as a witness.
I know this doesn't help now...good luck!!!