E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 545i N62 - PCV change and Secondary Air 002761 code

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Default 2004 545i N62 - PCV change and Secondary Air 002761 code

I replaced the PCV valves on my 04 545i . The replacement cap has no nozzle to reconnect the hoses going back to the intake.
I reused the original caps and reconnected back the hoses, not knowing any better:-)
Should i reinstall back the new caps that vent into the space under the beauty cover.
If so what to do with the hoses at the intake end, simply remove them completely ?

The car is driving better, rough start and cold start hunting/misfire seems gone.
However, about 1 mile driving out after the PCV change, the SES and Increased Emissions warning came on.
Error code shows 002761 (related to Bank2/passenger side) .
Does anyone have any experience to share about diagnose/fixing this code ?

Respectfully,
roka
Old 11-26-2017, 11:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i

Use the new PCV valve caps - make sure that every single tab clicks into place. Remove the hoses that connect back to the intake, and fit a vacuum cap on the old intake port. Then, congratulate yourself for updating your PCV system and eliminating a possible vacuum leak. Finally, get yourself a BMW specific code reader such as Carly - much more detailed information than a generic code reader.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Thank you percodan,
I swapped the old PCV valve cap with tubes for the new cap without tubes and plugged the intake. Definitely driving better.

I also reset the SES and drove 10+ miles with no symptoms. After an hour parked, another mile later at a long traffic light, the SES/IncreasedEmissions came back on (again 2761, bank2, no other code).

Will start with the driver side check valve and Y hose from the pump. I expect mucho carbon in the pipe beyond it and the exhaust ports require cleaning.

Any other guidance, most appreciated.
Thanks.