E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 545i: CIC Upgrade Complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install: I give all the credit to Chris who runs Republic Wraps in LA. Id highly recommned him to anyone considering it.

Time: Figure a full day if youre doing it yourself. An expert with no workaround issues can get it done in probably under 6 hours.

Audio/Video: So the sync issue is a BMW issue Im told. Im not aware of a way to fix it & still have digital audio coming from the armrest ipod setup. Since I want that, Im ok dealing with this for now. Once I get my iphone5 Ill revisit this...

Also:
I LOVE streaming Pandora from my phone, via BT, to the stereo in hifidelity sound. It is sweet & I just subscribed to Pandoras paid service. Could do the same with Spotify (or any BT audio source) but Im more a Pandora guy...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Members

3D Nav: Yes this is an awesome feature as part of BMWs nav system. It looks nice & use it as my default screen. It has to be good to compete w/ my smartphones ICS turn by turn, & it definitely does.

Update on Pandora: You can actually skip tracks using the idrive controller through BT when streaming Pandora from your phone. Must be part of the BT protocol for that connection, certainly makes it nice.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6-Speed Black on Black with Peanut Butter Insides. Sitting on Staggered 20's 9.5 front and 10.5 rear. Rolled fenders and Full Sports Package. ACS Decklid and Roof Spoiler. Tinted 5% everywhere. Changing Accent Parts to Carbon Fiber and

Awesome and helpful write-up. Looking forward to your next project.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Members

Update on LCI AC Upgrade:

I have come to terms with this upgrade.
My initial complaint was about too much cold air & too much velocity from the center vents.
This is simply how the new system works.

Where as I used to control the airflow in my pre lci days, I now control the temperatue knob.

I set the temp I want, put it on auto, & let it go.
Kind of elegant in its solution & something I have come around to.
Its important to not have the vents aimed at your face or body parts as the new system "races" to your set temp level even on the most modest auto setting.

The velocity is best controlled by raising the temp on the knob for either driver or passenger.
Many thanks to member Zino for walking me through this set up.

Im updating my rating to 5/5 now for this project.

Id like anyones input on the analog vs. digital input for ipod. Ill start a specific thread on that...
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Congratulations on your new upgrades!!

Thank you for your time in documenting this process! ..This thread is simple. Concise. And extremely helpful

I'm in the same boat with a 06 525i, and the same ol' M-ASK setup. I'm wanting to do pretty much the same upgrades as you have, but with 2 exceptions:

1. I would like to keep the pre-LCI IHKA dash controls, and Mod the surrounding dash panel around it.

2. I would also like to aim for the newest iDrive/GUI software BMW just released only a couple months ago.

I understand that for the new GUI software I may have to wait until a vendor offers this option... And my only questions about the IHKA is how well the pre-LCI unit works with the rest of the upgrades...?

Thanks again for your posts and pics!!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Members

Im glad the thread was useful for you.

I tried to do it in a manner that added to what was already out there & was useful / searchable.
I stumbled onto Nelsons original thread via google & 6 months later...

To help w/ your questions (others please comment if Im wrong):

1. you can do this. you will have the gap (as you seem to know) but that can be addressed by either modding in your current trim piece or putting the LCI buttons (larger) onto the pre LCI display. I looked at that option but could not figure that button part out to my satisfaction.

I will say this though: I have come around on the LCI air controls! I really like it in fact. I like how it works, I like the new knobs!, I like that setting the temperature matters more, & I like that this integrates with the CIC monitor. If you do pre LCI it does not. If you want to go that path & need direction, let me know.

2. Check this out: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ming-soon.html

courtesy of Boosted who forwarded me this link.

The gang at Bimmertech is already working on the current edition, but looks like its 15+ months out for e60 retrofits.
From what I know there isnt much different here than on my current one (google maps vs. my current maps?) and Patryk is able to do live traffic on the current one. Add features if Im missing something please...

Also, if this new build comes out & is super killer, Im guessing there might be a software path to get there, using my hardware.

Ill say this: I love what I did & Bimmertech was great to work with in getting it set up & coded. You will need the people in the forums though for the actual installation part & thats where I had umichchris do this in Los Angeles...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Thank you Chris for choosing BimmerTech to be your vendor in this project.
I am very happy everything is working great!

Patryk
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Maddog-99
I set the temp I want, put it on auto, & let it go.
Why did you bother changing the AC then. All you could have done is changed the buttons and knobs (like what I did). You would have saved yourself some money too. I've always said, if you leave your AC in Auto - don't change the AC.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Might have to make a visit to Socal and check it out @Maddog-99. Tempting to do retrofit on mine.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Members

Default Which Nav unit?

So there are actually 2 different CIC nav units, one with built in Sirius and one with out. If you get the one with Sirius and HD radio, do you need to do something special to get the antennas to the dash? Has anyone retrofitted this unit?

Quick Reply: 2004 545i: CIC Upgrade Complete