E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530i: how well does it handle rain,snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I've been an avid guest on these forums for quite some time and i'm finally hoping to pull the trigger on my first bmw. Its a 2004 530i with 35k. My only concern is i have long commutes during the winter through some tough hilly terrain and was wondering even with snow tires how would it handle some heavy snowfall and/or wet conditions? Also, how about heavy rainfall during the other seasons of the year with just regular all season tires? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by truckstopguy' post='479571' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:44 PM
Hello everyone. I've been an avid guest on these forums for quite some time and i'm finally hoping to pull the trigger on my first bmw. Its a 2004 530i with 35k. My only concern is i have long commutes during the winter through some tough hilly terrain and was wondering even with snow tires how would it handle some heavy snowfall and/or wet conditions? Also, how about heavy rainfall during the other seasons of the year with just regular all season tires? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I had no issue with snow last year with snows on my car. I did not use full Blizzaks but was happy with my Conti SportContact Winter tires.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

i live in the GTA, and i drive a 525xi. for the past 2 winters i've been on all season tires. but since the 530i is RWD, winter tires is a must. as for handling, as long as you don't do quick corners or anything, the tires should hold up well.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

itll handle as good as the tires...winter tires...= awesome, even with rwd
Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330xi, Premium Package, Cold weather package

Originally Posted by truckstopguy' post='479571' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:44 PM
long commutes in winter in tough hilly terrain........ it sounds like you are a prime candidate for some good winter tires. All the more better if you can get a AWD with winter tires. But, even a RWD with winter tires is pretty good.

Also, search and read up as to how to drive a RWD in winter (if you have not driven a RWD before). It is slightly different than how you would drive a FWD in snow.

FWIW, I have driven a RWD and a AWD with all season tires in snow and it is not bad at all...but i didnot have hilly terrains to deal with and usually the roads are ploughed.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Members

I had the same concern living in Minneapolis coming out of a Audi S6 AWD. Audi makes such a big deal about their Quattro and to be fair, it is very effective. My S6 came with Conti sport contacts and Conti-sports + snow = death, even with Quattro so winter tires were a must. I feel the same way about my 550. AWD or RWD, you really need the winter rubber for snowy climates.

Trust me, you too can overcome the fear mongering AWD crowd and become quite comfortable driving an appropriately shod RWD 5er. The big payoff is in the spring when the summer rubber goes back on (not that the winter rubber is all that bad). Rear wheel power, weight distribution and handling is a big part of this car's identity and performance. It was an easy trade-off for me. I have never looked back.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Members

Thanks for all the great responses everyone. The only RWD car i have ever driven is an 87 grand national and even then it wasn't in the winter. I know i will love this car about 8 months of the year but its those 4 months where it can get really hectic. I'm going to read up on some tips for winter driving a rwd now as well just to get a better understanding. Thanks for the tip! My choice was between an audi, sts or this bimmer. Love at first sight! I have appointments tomorrow and thursday so hopefully i'll know by the weekend which way i'm leaning. Hope they can do the extras i asked for as well. (bluetooth,ipod) This site has been great so far.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

The 530 is virtually a perfect 50/50 weight ratio front vs back. Put 4 good winter tires on and you will be fine . Having lived in TO for 5 years and now back to VCR , I can tell you confidently that your (hopefully) new car will handle brilliantly.

Cheers
Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

The e60 is my winter car and even though it's RWD I find that it's an absolute dream to drive in the snow.

I have Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires installed though.