E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 525I halogen to OEM bi-xenon problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 525I halogen to OEM bi-xenon problem

Hello guys I am new to this website, and just purchased BMW 525i, the problem is it was not Bi-xenon, and I felt like ' I gotta get those bi-xenon headlights' because it looks much better than the ones I had. But here is the problem I got the headlights today, and perfectly fitted my car, the only thing I am having problem with is that there is a wire missing which is I think adaptive ( lights turn as you turn the steering wheel) " a mechanic told me that, and I have no idea what to do, like is there any aftermarket wiring that I can get from Ebay? and the second problem is the whole xenon does not work, (Low beam) the high light works perfect, I went to a mechanic and told me he will do it for me for $200, but before I even get into that, I want to ask you guys if you could give me solutions for my problem
Thanks in advance

Last edited by CaVeMaN150; 05-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

The Xenon doesn't work 'cuz it's missing a ground wire in the main plug since halogen didn't need it. While the adaptive wiring (smaller plug) is not present in the halogen equiped car. Not only that the parking light & hi-beam wired & programmed differently between Xenon & Halogen car.

There's a lot more to install adaptive (wires, sensor, programming etc among others) feature.

Last thing ... you do know that since your car born w/o Xenon the computer will expect halogen and when it finds Xenon instead the iDrive will lit up with warning(s) and/or error(s) during car startup and usually the headlight will strobe and then shutdown.

You have to alter your car DNA if you will, re-code the computer and delete the stock halogen option code and replace it with Xenon option code. Or you can hack (not recommended) the internal w/ various things.

My car was with halogen then I did full LCI light conversion couple years ago and it was a messy retrofit.

GL!

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 05-16-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
The Xenon doesn't work 'cuz it's missing a ground wire since halogen didn't need it.

There's a lot more to install adaptive (wires, sensor etc among other) feature.

Last thing ... you do know that since your car born w/o Xenon the computer will expect halogen and when it finds Xenon instead the iDrive will lit up with warning(s) and/or error(s) during car startup and usually the headlight will strobe and then shutdown.

You have to alter your car DNA if you will, re-code the computer and delete the stock halogen option code and replace it with Xenon option code. Or you can hack (not recommended) the internal w/ various things.

My car was with halogen then I did full LCI light conversion couple years ago and it was a messy retrofit.

GL!
So I might end up with some more $$$?
I already paid a lot for those headlights :S
but here is also pictures of my headlights
2004 525I halogen to OEM bi-xenon problem-20130516_222353.jpg

2004 525I halogen to OEM bi-xenon problem-20130516_222314.jpg

2004 525I halogen to OEM bi-xenon problem-20130516_222211.jpg

Last edited by CaVeMaN150; 05-16-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yeah unfortunately the headlight is not a simple straight swap.

Originally Posted by CaVeMaN150
So I might end up with some more $$$?
I already paid a lot for those headlights :S
but here is also a pictures of my headlights
[... pics ...]
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
New Members

Yeah unfortunately the headlight is not a simple straight swap.

then if you were me what will you do?

Thanks bro
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hard to say ... not sure ... if you up to the task yourself continue and finish it (various resource(s) available in this forum) otherwise it may cost you or revert back.

I did all my mods myself and light conversion was in my todo list so I collected & researched a lot before so I knew what I'm getting into when I did my conversion.

then if you were me what will you do?

Thanks bro
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
New Members

Hard to say ... not sure ... if you up to the task yourself continue and finish it (various resource(s) available in this forum) otherwise it may cost you or revert back.

I did all my mods myself and light conversion was in my todo list so I collected & researched a lot before so I knew what I'm getting into when I did my conversion.
I guess I am just gonna finish it that's the only option I have , can you tell me what are the things that I will need to finish this job (if you can) or maybe direct me to a link of some topic that might help me with the steps that I need to do example (what are the sensors that I need to get, what is the wire that I will have to get, and the coding I will figure a way to re-code it at my local mechanic

Thank you so much
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

I would recommend using the search function and dig the info up, it's been almost 4 years when I did my conversion sorry no idea where my notes etc anymore but all from this forum.

My light conversion was different with yours, mine was a step further 'cuz not only simply jumped from Halogen -> Bi-Xenon but to the newer LCI ('08+) headlight and require the newer taillight too ... so I skipped your step as my headlight has completely different wiring, plug and programming.

My headlight is no adaptive (physically), since I knew it'll just complicate things and I don't need such feature I didn't do any adaptive thing.

Here's my conversion thread = https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...dlights-77535/

GL!

I guess I am just gonna finish it that's the only option I have , can you tell me what are the things that I will need to finish this job (if you can) or maybe direct me to a link of some topic that might help me with the steps that I need to do example (what are the sensors that I need to get, what is the wire that I will have to get, and the coding I will figure a way to re-code it at my local mechanic

Thank you so much
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM
New Members

The Xenon doesn't work 'cuz it's missing a ground wire in the main plug since halogen didn't need it. While the adaptive wiring (smaller plug) is not present in the halogen equiped car. Not only that the parking light & hi-beam wired & programmed differently between Xenon & Halogen car.

There's a lot more to install adaptive (wires, sensor, programming etc among others) feature.

GL!
I just read your edited comment.
Will that seems enough information for me
thank you so much BlaSTiWi
and I am going to work on how the low beam works,
I mean as you stated "The Xenon doesn't work 'cuz it's missing a ground wire in the main plug since halogen didn't need it"
then the only thing I should do is to get the missing wire so I can get it work
the other things shouldn't be important like the adaptive
and re-coding the car shouldn't be hard right?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
New Members

GL!
I would recommend using the search function and dig the info up, it's been almost 4 years when I did my conversion sorry no idea where my notes etc anymore but all from this forum.

My light conversion was different with yours, mine was a step further 'cuz not only simply jumped from Halogen -> Bi-Xenon but to the newer LCI ('08+) headlight and require the newer taillight too ... so I skipped your step as my headlight has completely different wiring, plug and programming.

My headlight is no adaptive (physically), since I knew it'll just complicate things and I don't need such feature I didn't do any adaptive thing.

Here's my conversion thread = https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...dlights-77535/

GL!
Thanks bro
that's what I need

Quick Reply: 2004 525I halogen to OEM bi-xenon problem