E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2 questions and a comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Two questions first:
1-My chrome exhaust tips started to rust at less than a month old - is this normal?

2-Got home after a rain storm this AM and noticed a lot of steam coming from our of thr grill - never seen this on any other car I've owned - anyone else experience this?

My comment - The dead pedal with beige interior needs to be black - I can not keep it clean it is beige
Old 01-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='218252' date='Jan 2 2006, 10:30 AM
Two questions first:
1-My chrome exhaust tips started to rust at less than a month old - is this normal?

2-Got home after a rain storm this AM and noticed a lot of steam coming from our of thr grill - never seen this on any other car I've owned - anyone else experience this?

My comment - The dead pedal with beige interior needs to be black - I can not keep it clean it is beige
My exhaust tips are two years old, though the car has only been in service 2 mos. I haven't noticed anything other than carbon around them. If anything, it looks like a rich burn.

Steam from grill; haven't seen that even in slushy conditions. You may have hit a big puddle and splashed up under there just before you parked and it was simply evaporating the cold water while standing still. At speed, you'd never notice it.

Dead pedal: mine is gray, but I'm far more concerned about its increased width (over E39) and intrusion into my clutch footwell, than its appearance. I have to be very careful shifting (more with toe than ball of foot) because I will catch the outer edge of my shoe on the deadpedal, and not fully depress the clutch. Not only a design nuissance, but a genuine safety hazard. :thumbsdown:

Ray Hull
Old 01-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I have my e60 15 months, only thing around exhaust tips appear to be carbon.......no rust in sight.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Nearly a year old, no rust on tips.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='218252' date='Jan 2 2006, 10:30 AM
Two questions first:

6 mos. old--no rust

What Ray said

Me too
Old 01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Ihad an e60 for about two years and I only saw a bit of carbon after sometimes. But some one recommended to me to use colgate tooth-paste and it went way. In fact, I apply it frequenly and it was always shine and smiling
Old 01-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

k, I don't know if it make sense or not, but I have had my car for two month. I when I came back from NY
after Thanksgiving, I have noticed black on my rims that won't come off...I have been cleaning them every weekend since using all kinds of brushes and different wheel cleaners. My guess is the salt on the road caused it, and now it's starting to look like rust. Does it make sense? could the salt cause the rust?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='218381' date='Jan 2 2006, 04:43 PM
k, I don't know if it make sense or not, but I have had my car for two month. I when I came back from NY
after Thanksgiving, I have noticed black on my rims that won't come off...I have been cleaning them every weekend since using all kinds of brushes and different wheel cleaners. My guess is the salt on the road caused it, and now it's starting to look like rust. Does it make sense? could the salt cause the rust?
Interesting. I, for one, have never noticed the effect you mention, but they did not use salt in Tulsa when we lived there. And, are you a shadow of your former self? You seem to be fading.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='218252' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:30 AM
Two questions first:

1. Just carbon for me. No rust. Can you scrub it clean with a non-abrasive cloth? It could be from the road salts (to melt the ice). Do they still use salt on the roads?

2. My grill and hood area is also very hot. It's so hot that I can't touch it for more than 5 seconds or I would get a burning feeling. Can anyone confirm that the grill and hood (near grill) emits great heat?

3. My interior is black, so everything is black on the floor too. I thought about getting the beige because it looks very classy and luxurious, but I figured if my trims were black, I'd stick with black for that "bad boy" look.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='218383
Two questions first:

1. Just carbon for me. No rust. Can you scrub it clean with a non-abrasive cloth? It could be from the road salts (to melt the ice). Do they still use salt on the roads?

2. My grill and hood area is also very hot. It's so hot that I can't touch it for more than 5 seconds or I would get a burning feeling. Can anyone confirm that the grill and hood (near grill) emits great heat?

Hi B32: I'll check when we return home, but that will be a tad late. Sorry.

3. My interior is black, so everything is black on the floor too. I thought about getting the beige because it looks very classy and luxurious, but I figured if my trims were black, I'd stick with black for that "bad boy" look.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: 2 questions and a comment