E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

1st Flat Tire on run flats..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all e60 fans,
I have a question about run flats. Last night was my 1st time I got a flat tire alert after driving the car in NYC for 8 months and have about 8,500 miles on them. I went out and checked the tires and all seemed normal. How does run flats work? would i've seen the defected tire with less air then others? If the tire is flat, can a regular tire shop fix it or do I have to buy a new tire? I think i have the dunlops, sad to say dont remember and to lazy to go check now. Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
JDN
Contributors

It's hard to visually see a low or flat run flat. I split two wheels and had immediate decompression. All four tires looked normal to a casual observer. I have the photos somewhere.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by jami123' post='210125' date='Dec 11 2005, 08:59 PM
Hello all e60 fans,
I have a question about run flats. Last night was my 1st time I got a flat tire alert after driving the car in NYC for 8 months and have about 8,500 miles on them. I went out and checked the tires and all seemed normal. How does run flats work? would i've seen the defected tire with less air then others? If the tire is flat, can a regular tire shop fix it or do I have to buy a new tire? I think i have the dunlops, sad to say dont remember and to lazy to go check now. Thanks in advance for you help.
Several here have had them repaired, depending on the "wound." Many repair shops are NOT equipped to deal with them, and even those that are, can botch the job AND YOUR WHEEL finish. I'd be very careful, and I'd search runflat repairs in NYC; there was a detailed post here within the past 10 days that described several NYC shops.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 12-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jami123' post='210125' date='Dec 11 2005, 08:59 PM
Hello all e60 fans,
Check your pressure with a tire gauge. And, you could try resetting your monitor. You may have had a false alarm. I have never had a RFT repaired, but it can be done if the sidewall is not affected. Some tire shops may refuse to repair a RFT for potential liability reasons. If you can find a shop that will do so, then you might have your tire repaired provided that you are not going to do any demanding driving, including high-speed driving.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Got my tires repaired twice by NTB in Nashua for 40 bucks.....had several high speed runs and it was all good....if sidewall is not damaged....i guess nothing would go wrong with repairing them...
Old 12-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='210161' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:52 PM
Got my tires repaired twice by NTB in Nashua for 40 bucks.....had several high speed runs and it was all good....if sidewall is not damaged....i guess nothing would go wrong with repairing them...
I am glad all was good. I was giving conservative advice, which I would follow myself, since I am not completely sure what all the uproar over repairing RFT's is all about. Do you know exactly why some are hesitant to repair RTF's from the physical perspective (i.e., not the liability perspective)?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

I discussed this issue with my local tyre supplier in the UK - they run a 6 series with RFs and hate them! They've the ability to repair them and have been happy to do so, but apparently all the manufacturers of RFs have now issued information stating that they would advise against repair and would recommend replacement. This obvioulsy places the tyre fitter/repairer in a difficult situation regarding litigation. There would appear to be no sound (practical) reason not to repair, but the repairer is effectively going against the manufacturers advice and may suffer any consequences. It looks like the tyre manufacturers are stitching us up?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

In Germany they are not allowed to repair high speed tires! It has nothing to do with RFT or non RFT.
But the RFT's we use on our E60's are high speed tires, so they can't be repaired legally.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Members

"The system is therefore able to detect a possible loss of air by checking the wheels' speed of rotation. Since the roll radius of the tyres alters as pressure decreases, the wheel rotation speed changes accordingly and is measured precisely by the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) sensors on the wheels."

1st of all, check the tyre pressure at each wheel.Maybe you've just to reinflate a little a tyre or another. But if it's realy flat ....
You might also get a false alert with a difference of worn between 2 tyres.

Here in Belgium, they say it's forbidden to repair a RF tyre ! You are supposed to buy a new one, and even, if the other tyre of the same axle is not quite new, you'll have to fit 2 new tyres !! :thumbsdown:

That's why I think that RF tyres are not the right choice !
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

The reluctance to repair is beacuse the repairer does not know how much damage may have been dome to the sidewalls by driving on them with less air in the tire than normal.

Some driver may travel 50 miles on a tire with no air in them in which case the side walls will have taken a lot more strain than say a driver who only drove a couple of miles with a slow leak.

Quick Reply: 1st Flat Tire on run flats..