E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

172's Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I read your post I thought you were driving on every road in New Jersey...sorry for your problem.
It's like driving on a slalom/obstacle course, the roads are so bad. When my 16 yo son drives my car he drives around to avoid the bad spots which are many and he didn't get his license yet.
I'm sure it'll all get fixed as new.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Just had the dreaded call from the Dealer... a few pounds short of ?2000.

Two new front tyres
One new rear tyre
One new front wheel
One new rear wheel
Wheel alignment

Oh and not forgetting my service which was due next week.

Right now I'm feeling sick to the pit of my stomach... I could buy a decent run around for that sort of money.

I'll be thinking long and hard this time next year as to whether i stick with BMW, not that it was the cars fault in any way, I'm simply not sure i enjoy the costs associated with owning a luxuary saloon... maybe time to think of an x5 or similar.

No pics to follow as the wheels and tyres will be good as new in the next couple of days.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='546207' date='Mar 17 2008, 01:23 PM

Two new front tyres
One new rear tyre
One new front wheel
One new rear wheel
Wheel alignment

Right now I'm feeling sick to the pit of my stomach... I could buy a decent run around for that sort of money.

I'll be thinking long and hard this time next year as to whether i stick with BMW, not that it was the cars fault in any way, I'm simply not sure i enjoy the costs associated with owning a luxuary saloon... maybe time to think of an x5 or similar.

No pics to follow as the wheels and tyres will be good as new in the next couple of days.
All I can say is WOW! Sorry to hear that - was indeed an expense decision to let your daughter watch the sunset - Hope she enjoyed it! Surely you can claim from your insurance for this, granted it will cost you your excess but surely worth it when compared with this expense? Do you have you NCB protected?

I'm in the middle of rangling with my dealer at the moment over the poor wheel refurbs mentioned in another thread (which has been moved without a 'moved link' to the dealer section). The Group Bodyshop Manager called me earlier today to basically say he had viewed the wheels and didn't think they were capable of re-doing them any better - in other words this was as good as they get from them and I shouldn't have been told they would be refurbed 'as new'????? This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion. Anyway, eventually agreed to have a set of secondhand replacement wheels in mint condition taken from a car in their stock - presuming they have some of this type - but am told they should have as they have over ?3m of stock in a compound. Am awaiting a phone call for confirmation and to pick them up later today hopefully.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

that sounds a lot more than it should be. Cant you supply your own wheels and tires? Maybe buying them in US and shipping them would cost less....or there is that 17% tax on them as well?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='546207' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:23 AM

Two new front tyres
One new rear tyre
One new front wheel
One new rear wheel
Wheel alignment

Very sorry to hear about this

Did you really have to go the dealer route? etyres would come to your door & replace the tyres for ?170 a piece - assuming you are on the Goodyear NCT5
When wickedwheels or the like, could repair the rims if possible for ?100 or so.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Both Rims had hidden stress fractures, the cost includes my service which I'm not sure of the price till I collect the car, in addition there is ?126+Vat for alignment, If it were possible to get it done cheaper i would but having slept on it the dealer was the only option, it was quite a thud that caused the damage, etyres or wicked wheels would not have been able to check suspension components or do the alignment, I'll simply have to drive with even more caution in the future, it's one thing owning a prestige marque, another enjoying it when it would appear to be so fragile in places.

On the insurance front I would loose 3yrs no claims bonus as it is not protected, I'll pay up and not be so quick to enjoy natural beauty in future

Thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

I'm not surprised; I hit a pothole with a rental cadillac STS last year...1 rim and a tire was
1500 US...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M-Sport Auto, Individual Spec (Ruby Black Paint, Champagne Nappa Leather, Piano Black Trim), Media Pack (Navigation Professional, Bluetooth, CD Changer, Voice Control), Sun Protection Glass, 19" Style 172 Rims, Hi-Fi Speakers, Heated Seats

Really sorry to hear of your expensive mis-hap.
I too have these rims on my car, and the first time I kerbed one, I was almost inconsolable for days............ Then my wife got a puncture in one of the rears and drove 1/2 mile on the flat - a painful ?211 quid bill for a new tyre!

On the cost front, +1 for buying your tyres anywhere other than the dealers. The mark-up they charge is just ridiculous. Also, I would almost put money on the fact that your rims would have been repairable - its just easier and more profitable for them to sell you new rims.
Might be worth asking for the damaged rims back, and geting a second opinion on them..?

Happy motoring on your new wheels!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 0asis2007' post='546390' date='Mar 17 2008, 06:34 PM
Really sorry to hear of your expensive mis-hap.
I too have these rims on my car, and the first time I kerbed one, I was almost inconsolable for days............ Then my wife got a puncture in one of the rears and drove 1/2 mile on the flat - a painful ?211 quid bill for a new tyre!

On the cost front, +1 for buying your tyres anywhere other than the dealers. The mark-up they charge is just ridiculous. Also, I would almost put money on the fact that your rims would have been repairable - its just easier and more profitable for them to sell you new rims.
Might be worth asking for the damaged rims back, and geting a second opinion on them..?

Happy motoring on your new wheels!
I would have gone with eTyres again but to allow me transport for the next couple of days it was easier to go to the dealer, the free 320d for best part of 3 days will cover the pain of the over priced tyres.

I've asked for the rims and will be seeking a second opinion, there may be a front and rear 172 on ebay in the coming weeks, if they are repairable i may well mention this to the dealer but they will always suggest that any damage weakens the integrity of the wheel.

I'll let you know what the second opinion tells me.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M-Sport Auto, Individual Spec (Ruby Black Paint, Champagne Nappa Leather, Piano Black Trim), Media Pack (Navigation Professional, Bluetooth, CD Changer, Voice Control), Sun Protection Glass, 19" Style 172 Rims, Hi-Fi Speakers, Heated Seats

Fair point about the free loan car.

And yes, the dealer's standard line will be "integrity of the rim is compromised, etc....". I doubt if they put the rims through a full structural assessment (x-rays etc?) to come to that conclusion though....

Hope you recoup a little of your outlay from ebay!

Quick Reply: 172's Damaged