E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

16" winter vs. 18" summer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Somebody asked if the car looks stupid with 16" standard wheels.

Here you can do the comparison yourself.

I took the winter pic this morning, the temperature was -23,5 Celsius.

The summer pic is taken with the same cell cam last summer,
the temperature was then + 23,5 Celsius.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

Nice pics

I would say that 17" is the smallest wheels I would have on our E60. I think that the E60 is such a big car, and it does deserve some big wheels.

We have 17" winter, and 17" summer, because my dad wont drive with 18" :thumbsdown:

Summerpics:

16" winter vs. 18" summer-dsc02750lille.jpg

Winter:

16" winter vs. 18" summer-dsc02068lille.jpg
Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='226898' date='Jan 20 2006, 09:25 AM
Somebody asked if the car looks stupid with 16" standard wheels.

Here you can do the comparison yourself.

The summer pic is taken with the same cell cam last summer,
the temperature was then + 23,5 Celsius.
Hi,

I have 16'' wheels in my car. Although i clearly prefer the 124 model, i am very happy with the stock ones because unlike the 3 series base ones or MB or Audi's these actually look nice (my car is titanum grey color).

I have one reason not to change it that is i have a 200m dirt road that gives access to my house and added to that i often ride in dirt roads (to go to the beach - here it is always summer when compared to your cold places ).

In these conditions, the 55mm of "air" are a real plus and less than that it is very easy to damage the rim.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

since riding on winter wheels is pretty much done almost half of the season so I think it is worth it having another nice set of winter rims, 16" is ok, but nice wheels.
I hate when people have nice and very expensive cars and then they ride on basic black steel wheels over the winter time. Come on, it is really almost half of the year so why to make the car ugly for such a long time. It is a must to have 2 sets of nice rims
Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='226935' date='Jan 20 2006, 03:21 PM
since riding on winter wheels is pretty much done almost half of the season so I think it is worth it having another nice set of winter rims.
I hate when people have nice and very expensive cars and then they ride on basic black steel wheels over the winter time. Come on, it is really almost half of the year so why to make the car ugly for such a long time. It is a must to have 2 sets of nice rims
Hi Peter530i,

The 16" wheels doesn't give the looks, that's for sure, but they are practical.

I agree on that, that 17" wheels are a minimum (and optimal) for the E60.

Therefore I am looking for a mint set of Styling 116 wheels.

But then again, as I said before, in the winter time it is so dark overhere,
and the car is dirty almost all the time, so it really doesn't matter what
winter wheels you have.
The most important thing is to have the best winter tires money can buy,
so that one survives the icy and snowy conditions.

I have the winter wheels on for 5 months a year.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

If it's snowing, it will be a mess so is not good to have a nice set of winter wheels because when you look at your nice wheels and is so dirty, you just feel you are wasting good money.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='226961
since riding on winter wheels is pretty much done almost half of the season so I think it is worth it having another nice set of winter rims.
Hi Peter530i,

The 16" wheels doesn't give the looks, that's for sure, but they are practical.

I agree on that, that 17" wheels are a minimum (and optimal) for the E60.

Therefore I am looking for a mint set of Styling 116 wheels.

But then again, as I said before, in the winter time it is so dark overhere,
and the car is dirty almost all the time, so it really doesn't matter what
winter wheels you have.
The most important thing is to have the best winter tires money can buy,
so that one survives the icy and snowy conditions.

I have the winter wheels on for 5 months a year.
[/quote]

no no Rick, I agree with you. I have nothing against 16" I was not talking about size. I was reffering to people having 100K $ cars with black steel wheels :thumbsdown:

I totaly agree that the best winter tire is a must. It is ridiculous to save money on tires.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Members

I couldn't agree more. The 16'' looks stupid on BMW5 (e60), but on the other hand it is practical. I drive almoust every day on a bad roads. And the softnes is much better, beleve me. I tryed 18'' rims, but it was like I drive a car without bumpers...I practicly feel efvery hole... but better on curves.

I think you have to do a compromise what you are using car for.....

For me is the feeling when driving more like crousing....and on the moment I can show a power of acceleration to sam kia, hundai coupe or honda guys.

Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='226898' date='Jan 20 2006, 09:25 AM
I only have one question. WTF are you doing outsde taking pictures when it's -23.5 degrees?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='226997' date='Jan 20 2006, 05:03 PM
no no Rick, I agree with you. I have nothing against 16" I was not talking about size. I was reffering to people having 100K $ cars with black steel wheels :thumbsdown:

I totaly agree that the best winter tire is a must. It is ridiculous to save money on tires.
The point is that on our cars if you want them to look nicer you must increase size. And on my case i would sacrifice comfort. Sorry but i prefer comfort to the looks. And for my luck, the bmw 16'' that came don't look bad . In fact i prefer them to others like the 115, 116, 125, 71, 50, etc and most of the 19'' and 20'' "tuning" ones i see around... It is down to personal taste...

Btw: There are no steel wheels in 5 series. At least here.

Quick Reply: 16" winter vs. 18" summer