E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

1500 miles and an RFT flat

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

We've been out of town for about a week (in beautiful southern CA) and we sent our teenage son home early to go on a ski trip. Anyway, he reports that my new baby has an obvious flat. It is parked in the garage. I drove it on a 100 mile trip the night before we left and had no problems or warnings. What should I do? Should I get BMW Assist to come out today while my son is there and change the tire? I really don't understand how these RFT's work. From searching the posts I see some repair and others replace.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Officially, you aren't supposed to repair a RFT, but I had a tire shop patch the puncture from the inside and haven't had any problems so far.

You can replace it entirely if that gives you peace of mind and don't mind spending the $$$.

Keep in mind not all tire shops are willing to repair a RFT because of my first 8 words, and not all tire shops have the new equipment necessary to mount/dismount RFT's. Conventional equipment will work, but may scratch your rims because the RFT is very difficult to dismount from the rim.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 545i (actually it's the wifes car) Cold Weather Premium Sound Sport Package

Here's how you dismount a RF tire from your rim....

1500 miles and an RFT flat-imgp1912.jpg

Drive 70 MPH on I80 through Vacaville, CA (on Christmas Eve).
Old 12-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

YOu might want to ask your teenage son what involvement he had in the flat tire while you are at it...
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by lattelady' post='215711' date='Dec 26 2005, 03:30 PM
We've been out of town for about a week (in beautiful southern CA) and we sent our teenage son home early to go on a ski trip. Anyway, he reports that my new baby has an obvious flat. It is parked in the garage. I drove it on a 100 mile trip the night before we left and had no problems or warnings. What should I do? Should I get BMW Assist to come out today while my son is there and change the tire? I really don't understand how these RFT's work. From searching the posts I see some repair and others replace.
Hi ll:

Tire shops won't repair because they are concerned that the 50/50 rule was not followed and might end up with liability. If this rule was followed, then the tire should be repairable given that the problem is in the tread area. If you think the rule was followed, then you might be able to convince a tire shop to do the repair. To keep from driving on the damaged tire, you might want to have the donut put on for the trip to the tire shop--for repair or replacement.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215789
Hi ll:

Tire shops won't repair because they are concerned that the 50/50 rule was not followed and might end up with liability. If this rule was followed, then the tire should be repairable given that the problem is in the tread area. If you think the rule was followed, then you might be able to convince a tire shop to do the repair. To keep from driving on the damaged tire, you might want to have the donut put on for the trip to the tire shop--for repair or replacement.
[/quote]

Whats the 50/50 rule..not something Ive heard about in the UK
Old 12-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i - Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Trim - Steptronic - Sport Package - Premium Package - Xenon Adaptive Headlights - Satellite Radio Prep - Rear Bumper Reflectors

Originally Posted by lattelady' post='215711' date='Dec 26 2005, 12:30 PM
I thought that a flat RFT shouldn't look like its flat. I've read that it's difficult to tell the difference between an okay RFT tire and one that is flat. Are you sure you have RFT tires and not regular tires?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Members

Hi Guys,
I think the comments above sum up the feeling from the industry on runflats; they should not be repaired. But this is based on the unknown by the tyre fitters - how long has the tyre been driven flat.
However having seen first hand the difficulty in getting the tyres off and on (two person job at times), I suspect there's more in the hastle factor. I'm sure they make more money on a new tyre then they do on a repair, and much less comeback.