E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'10 528i - does it use a NAV CD or hard drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012 | 03:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I currently have a 2008 535i with nav. and it requires the nav. CD to be present for operation. I am looking at a 2010 528i with navigation to possibly purchase....it's not a BMW CPO car. When I test drove the 528i, the nav. screen showed the maps and all seemed to work fine and normal.

Because the nav. was working, I didn't check if the nav. CD was present....I figured if it was working, the CD must be present. Well, I'm finding out that might not be true? If I'm going to buy the car...I definitely want to be sure the nav. CD is included, but the car is some distance away, and I'd rather not drive all that way just to check. So my question to the group...is the nav. CD required to be inserted into the player for the nav. to operate...or is it possible for the nav. to work with the CD not present?
Old 03-23-2012 | 04:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Allen
I currently have a 2008 535i with nav. and it requires the nav. CD to be present for operation. I am looking at a 2010 528i with navigation to possibly purchase....it's not a BMW CPO car. When I test drove the 528i, the nav. screen showed the maps and all seemed to work fine and normal.

Because the nav. was working, I didn't check if the nav. CD was present....I figured if it was working, the CD must be present. Well, I'm finding out that might not be true? If I'm going to buy the car...I definitely want to be sure the nav. CD is included, but the car is some distance away, and I'd rather not drive all that way just to check. So my question to the group...is the nav. CD required to be inserted into the player for the nav. to operate...or is it possible for the nav. to work with the CD not present?
I believe that 2009 was the switchover from DVD based maps to hard drive. If you are considering a purchase from afar I'd be concerned about MANY other things than whether the (NON CPO) car is DVD or hard drive based NAV.

You are having your potential purchase examined thoroughly by a qualified BMW mechanic before handing over cash - right?!?
Old 03-23-2012 | 04:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

The car is not that far...just farther than I wanna drive to look in the CD player. It's at a Lexus dealer, low miles, one owner, and it's got over (2) of factory warranty remaining. The car is solid, I'm just trying to be sure all the "accessory items" are present....ie...nav CD, spare tire & jack, tool/first aid kit, flashlight, manuals, etc.

So I assume that the CD downloads to a hard drive and then it can be removed....so I do indeed need to confirm the CD is present.

Oh...and are there any other "accessory items" you can think of that I need to check for?
Old 03-23-2012 | 05:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Allen
The car is not that far...just farther than I wanna drive to look in the CD player. It's at a Lexus dealer, low miles, one owner, and it's got over (2) of factory warranty remaining. The car is solid, I'm just trying to be sure all the "accessory items" are present....ie...nav CD, spare tire & jack, tool/first aid kit, flashlight, manuals, etc.

So I assume that the CD downloads to a hard drive and then it can be removed....so I do indeed need to confirm the CD is present.

Oh...and are there any other "accessory items" you can think of that I need to check for?
No Map info is on DVD (NOT CD's BTW) -

Good question about accessories
- ALL KEYS and Manuals
- Service records should be pulled by BMW dealer
- Same as above for installed accessories
- Wheel lock keys (if installed)

If I think of others I'll post up - Good luck with your purchase!

You could also download a copy of the 2010 owner's manual from the information section of the forum - it'll help you get pre-acquainted with the features of the 2010 that may be different than your current car.