E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

09 535i Misfire + Hesitation + Long Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Au
Default 09 535i Misfire + Hesitation + Long Crank

My 535i has developed a long crank and low RPM misfire recently. It's all stock with the exception of a JB4 which I had been running on map 5. Once I started having issues, I turned off the JB4 and have been running it disabled for the last two months or so, issues are exactly the same. Here's a description of the symptoms:
  • Cold Start (Sitting Overnight): Rough Start and noticeable misfiring until car warms up (Drives fine when warm)
  • Warm Start (Sitting for 1-2hrs): Long Crank, heavy misfire, drives normally once fully warmed up
  • Hot Start (Sitting for >30min): Rough, but short crank, noticeable misfire until car is fully hot again.

Fuel Trims:
Bank 1 Long: -15%
Bank 2 Long: +1%

No Stored MIL
Reduced Power Indicator Has Come on Several Times
68k miles
In California, so weather is ~35F-70F, no temp extremes

My research has indicated this is likely a leaky fuel injector, however I've also read that it is impossible to get BMW to replace it under the extended warranty until it fails completely or throws a CEL. Does anyone else have experience with similar symptoms?

Last edited by BenSTI; 01-23-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Hey what's up Ben. Most likely your injectors are leaking. If the cel has shown up before then the codes that trigger it will be stored in the DME. If you're under warranty you just need to find a friendly SA that will go the distance for you to get them replaced. When I had mine in for the issue the dealer kept it overnight outside and the next morning when they started it the long crank, stumbling idle and eventually CEL happened. All 6 six of my injectors got replaced. Also when you take it in I'd recommend you uninstall the JB4 just to be sure it not the scapegoat.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: Au

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Hey what's up Ben. Most likely your injectors are leaking. If the cel has shown up before then the codes that trigger it will be stored in the DME. If you're under warranty you just need to find a friendly SA that will go the distance for you to get them replaced. When I had mine in for the issue the dealer kept it overnight outside and the next morning when they started it the long crank, stumbling idle and eventually CEL happened. All 6 six of my injectors got replaced. Also when you take it in I'd recommend you uninstall the JB4 just to be sure it not the scapegoat.
That's what I suspected. I'll scan it with the SnapOn scanner that can read all the codes, for now I've been using a cheap scanner that only reads standard codes. I'll also pull out the JB4 next weekend. Who was your service guy, which dealer?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by BenSTI
That's what I suspected. I'll scan it with the SnapOn scanner that can read all the codes, for now I've been using a cheap scanner that only reads standard codes. I'll also pull out the JB4 next weekend. Who was your service guy, which dealer?
I had Joey T as my SA at Concord BMW who's in DC also. For Stevens Creek BMW the only person I know there is Sarah. I know her from when she worked at Edge Motorwerks in Dublin but that was 4 years ago. Give her a call and see what she says.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: e90

Sounds like the hpfp is going out
Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 440i Xdrive, carbon black, oyster Dakota, M sport, cold wx, premium pkg, Step, adaptive LED, sat radio,
Model Year: 2018
Engine: B58
Default Long crank, etc

My 2010 535i (Xd) had 3 injectors replaced at 33k. The HPFP had been taken care of previously. About that time the part number for the injectors was changed and I wondered if the other 3 injectors failed I would get all 6 replaced under CPO coverage. Two months ago after our first really cold night she acted up and was sent to the dealer. This was 5 days out of CPO coverage and at 73k. After 6 injectors, 6 spark plugs, 2 coils. some other parts, and a lot of labor she runs very well. BMW did help with a third of the huge bill.

There was also some discussion about the coking problem with DI engines but that was dismissed.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

My dealership replaced all 6 injectors for free. You should ask for a refund because they are covered for 10 years or 120k miles.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by longnvu
Sounds like the hpfp is going out
The symptoms listed are injector issues and not hpfp related.

Originally Posted by BillGale
My 2010 535i (Xd) had 3 injectors replaced at 33k. The HPFP had been taken care of previously. About that time the part number for the injectors was changed and I wondered if the other 3 injectors failed I would get all 6 replaced under CPO coverage. Two months ago after our first really cold night she acted up and was sent to the dealer. This was 5 days out of CPO coverage and at 73k. After 6 injectors, 6 spark plugs, 2 coils. some other parts, and a lot of labor she runs very well. BMW did help with a third of the huge bill.

There was also some discussion about the coking problem with DI engines but that was dismissed.

Good luck!
Just curious how were you outside of the cpo warranty? The cpo covers your car for a total of 6 yrs or 100k miles from orginal date of purchase. Since you list it as a 2010 it seems like you'd still be covered.

Last edited by Booyaazaa; 01-29-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 440i Xdrive, carbon black, oyster Dakota, M sport, cold wx, premium pkg, Step, adaptive LED, sat radio,
Model Year: 2018
Engine: B58

It had been in service for the six years covered. (It went into service 10/09).