E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 LCI E60 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switching to the AGM battery has erradicated my dead battery problem. It is a "bandaid" fix but it results in my never having a dead battery again. It does not fix the underlying module cycling on and off draining the battery. But its design, capacity, and reserve are such that it "survives" the drain and then recharges adequately so the car starts. Rudy's narrative is the most comprehensive and accurate I've seen on the issue. Every post I have seen here and on other sites indicates no one has experienced a dead battery with the AGM battery.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 10 X5 35d AW/Blk LOADED

I'm going to add my 2 cents.

I owned a 2008 E60 535i. Now when we took delivery it was hooked up to a battery tender but I didn't pay attention to it. After a month we started getting the "Increased Battery Discharge" warning through the iDrive. What annoyed me the most was the fact that the time and date was always being reset. The car was brought back 4 times and here is what they did:

1) Change main cable from battery to the car, 2 weeks
2) Change Shift module (not entering sleep mode), 3 weeks
3) Change CCC module (not entering sleep mode), 4 weeks
4) New battery, 2 days

Needless to say, after a day or two the error would always come back. It became a game between my wife and I on what loaner we'd get. First time they mentioned it was because the car was not being driven enough. That was BS, because we'd drive that between home and our business everyday which was a 50 mile trek. Most of the time we were waiting for parts. The CCC module had to come from Germany and it was during Christmas so it may have gotten delayed.

I think there is more to this than BMW is letting on. Unfortunately, where I live does not have a lemon law so I gave up and traded her in. I was sad to see her go, but now I'm a proud owner of an X5 35d. No problems yet (knock on wood).
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sc88
I think there is more to this than BMW is letting on.
Correct, it's called "We built such a complex automobile that our technicians can't figure out what component is causing the problem so we need to pass the buck so we don't look bad"...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - 07 X5 4.8 Sport, HUD, Cold Weather, Technology package, Premium Sound, Hitch, 214 Summer Wheels, 298 M Winter wheels Mods-M Steering wheel, LCI Tailights Sold to make room for future M5- 08 550 SpaceGray Msport, Fully Loaded, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Cold Weather, Htd Rear Seats, Sunshade, Logic 7/HD Radio, SAT, iPod, Lane Departure Warning, Fold Down Rear Seats Mods: Dinan ECU, V1 w/ concealed Display, Tint all around M5 Mirrors waiting Paint/Install RDsport Quad Exhaust waiting Install M5 style 166 wheels waiting install Sold - 07 550i

I just wanted to provide an update. My dealership finally found the problem! I left the V1 disconnected for a few weeks and the problem came back, so I sent the car back to the dealership, this time they couldn't blame the V1. And, as suspected, even with the V1 disconnected, they found a draw every hour or so for a few minutes. Turns out it was the computer that controls the dash, instrument cluster, etc. Once replaced the problem is gone. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

once again, another example of the problem not being an unfavorable driving profile.but actually a faulty OEM component not shutting down properly...thanx for the update, hope things stay resolved
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does an E60 sitting on a dealer lot for 2 weeks+, without being started, start? That doesn't make sense that you need to start your car each week.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Originally Posted by jgbmw
How does an E60 sitting on a dealer lot for 2 weeks+, without being started, start? That doesn't make sense that you need to start your car each week.

I'm sure they don't always tell you when they have to jump the car. I was having the High battery drain issue and my SA volunteered that the car had to be jumped. They found my problem was with the Comfort Access and ordered new door handles since they were sticking. I told them to check the module that monitors the door handles and they said it was find. Now problems since.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
once again, another example of the problem not being an unfavorable driving profile.but actually a faulty OEM component not shutting down properly...thanx for the update, hope things stay resolved
Exactly. I'm willing to be that 95% of these "low battery" issues are related to a component either not shutting down properly or something waking the car up repeatedly. Somehow, BMW needs to add some better logging to allow techs to instantly see what's asleep and what's awake (and when everything occurs to the second) so they can pinpoint the problem and stop blaming people for not starting the car once in a while.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if your car is working properly, you should be able to park it (untouched) for WEEKS and it should still start right up if the battery isn't shot. (Notice I didn't say if the battery is new... )
Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Members

In the past 14 years, my daily driving routine hasn't changed at all. In that time, I've own 9 different vehicles (some, two at a time). They've all been driven the same. Battery drain has only been a problem for my '08 E60.
What really irritates me is a coworker(who's not a BS'er at all) told me that this past winter, she didn't drive her freakin' Toyota Camry(that was parked outside) for 8 weeks, and it started right up. (I never told her my battery problems), now I'm glad I didn't.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Argent60, I agree with you. This is the first car I've owned with a battery drain problem. My current 2002 MB C230 sport coupe sits for weeks at a time, has only 24,000 mi since new and this past winter sat outside buried in snow from December 1 to April 1 and started the first time. Its had one battery in 8 years (currently 3 years old).
My 535i starts OK but the green light?? on the battery is black and the battery is only a year old. Car only has 12,000 mi.
Car had problems with Comfort Access main module and electronic shifter module a year ago that were replaced. I hate having to hold my breath every time I go to start it up. I even bought my first battery charger with 100A start mode just in case.

Quick Reply: 08 LCI E60 Battery Drain