E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'08 E60 550 low rpm hesitation, slow throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport M Package
Post Adding to this thread...

I understand I'm replying to a chain that's over a year old, but I wanted to add something for others who review it later trying to find an answer to their problem. This is the tread I used so I wanted to return and add my findings...

I have a 2008 550i M Sport LCI (prod date 3/07) with 98k and I was experiencing these exact same issues. So I tried resetting the adaptive transmission several times, I paid $200 to have the software updated, but I was still having the issues. (Note: These fixes did seem to help, but the issues were still be there).

This past weekend I was changing out the vacuum pump and the oil pressure switch/sensor in hopes to fix some oil leaks (apparently very common places to look if you're searching for oil leaks). Anyways, since I had the engine cover and intake off the throttle body was just sitting there staring at me. I had just recently cleaned the throttle body in my wife's LR3 due to a very inconsistent idle and noticed mine looked just like hers before I cleaned it. Given there was only 4 'very accessible' bolts to remove it, and I had left over throttle body cleaner I decided to take it off and clean it.

Now I can't say for sure if it was the clean throttle body or the vacuum pump (I'm thinking the throttle body since the vacuum pump is primarily used to assist with the power brakes), but my car is running so much better now. After I got the car back together I did my test run to make sure I didn't break anything and the car was running great. I almost couldn't believe it. I actually took it on several more test runs just to be sure. The throttle and acceleration was doing exactly what my foot commanded. There was no more hesitation, the shifting was much better. Before the car and I weren't on the same page, now we seem to be in perfect harmony.

My brother has an '09 535 with 48k and it's always been very smooth and super responsive. Mine is now this way and it's so nice I had to share.

Again, I'm not exactly sure if the dirty throttle body was the lone culprit, maybe the car wouldn't be better if I hadn't done the software update before, maybe it needed both, I don't know... But I do know the throttle body is so easy to get to and clean that it's worth a shot if you've been down this road and are still having issues like I was.

Notes:
1. I'm sure this will apply more to those with higher miles. My wife's SUV had 80k when I cleaned hers and mine 98k. Either way it's still worth a look.
2. I just used a generic throttle body cleaner for Auto Zone.

Just my $.02... Hope it helps.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

Also pull the MAF sensor and spray it down with MAF cleaner.