E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 BMW 535i Sound System Not Working/ Stuck in Mute Maybe? Help Pls

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw 535i, bmw z4m
Default 08 BMW 535i Sound System Not Working/ Stuck in Mute Maybe? Help Pls

Hi
been on this forum for several months, first time poster.

I recently purchased a '08 535i, production date is late 07. this car had a after market system before i purchased it and it was taken out by the seller, and now i am restoring the factory system.

Its a Hifi Non Logic 7, has the wide screen navi (e60 module1). Amp in the trunk does work.
My main issue is there is no sound from any entertainment option, and also no chime when door is open and key in ignition. I noticed my other 05 545i does have chime until head unit main harness is disconnected.

amp in the trunk is working, all the wires do have a reading and power wires do have voltage(tested with multimeter). iDrive & navi powers on and works fine. I cannot increase the volume, Seems like its just stuck in mute or does not have a way of turning volume on. Steering wheel buttons dont help.

All wires are connected properly, i took apart every panel and harness front to back to make sure all connections are good. Fuses are all good. I did do a hard reset with volume+both eject buttons. I also disconnected the battery over night.
Also, when i put in a CD, it reads it but does not actually play it, timer on a song is still at 0:00, DVD side also seems like it works fine and spins the disk.

So far this is all i am noticing, I would really appreciate any input or advice, possibly something else i can check or cross reference, I searched the forum but did not find anything or a case similar to mine, sorry for the long write up.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by dmoem; 04-20-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did you ask the seller for help?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Sounds like you have a break in the MOST BUS. Check all the MOST connections and modules. Check to see what options came on your car, CD, DVD, Bluetooth, etc. If the MOST ring is not complete none of the modules will work. How do you know the amp is working? No sound at all means one of two things, either the amp is not working or the MOST ring is broken. The MOST network comprises of the Head unit (in your case the CCC), CD (in glove box), Bluetooth and Amp (left side of trunk under the trim).
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
did you ask the seller for help?
Hi
Yes, he was not helpful. didnt know whats going on. a "shop" did that work.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

push the volume button in once to unmute sound?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Sounds like you have a break in the MOST BUS. Check all the MOST connections and modules. Check to see what options came on your car, CD, DVD, Bluetooth, etc. If the MOST ring is not complete none of the modules will work. How do you know the amp is working? No sound at all means one of two things, either the amp is not working or the MOST ring is broken. The MOST network comprises of the Head unit (in your case the CCC), CD (in glove box), Bluetooth and Amp (left side of trunk under the trim).
Thank you for the lead, i will check the MOST BUS,
amp has voltage and i also put the amp into a 750i with the same sound system and it was working.
I will recheck everything and post back. At first I did do a VIN decode and matched options, then started by checking each option and worked from there.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
push the volume button in once to unmute sound?
I tried multiple times, in different patterns, after battery disconnect and after a hard reset. No luck.

thank you
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I had a similar issue when installing Technic's harness for external amp. It was the main harness that plugs into the rear amp. Somehow one of the connector pushed itself loose when inserting it back on the amp.

So pull off the amp harness and re-inspect all the connection, then reseat it and make sure the security collar slides all the way in the lock position.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Members

Make sure your headunit is not coded as Logic7 (meaning to use MOST fiber-optics bus). Standard HiFi is using copper. Browse menus to 'Tones' to see if Logic 7 symbol is present.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, premium package and navigation

I have had worst issues with the same model 2008, 528i this week. All of a sudden, all the screen/idrive went suddenly blank and I have lost navigation/audio and sound system. It is in the shop as of right now. I took everything apart, check all fuses and couldn't find anything wrong with my weak knowledge.

Also, does anybody know if it is possible to retrofit a high HiFi non Logic 7 to a used Logic 7 system amplifier? Looks I have the same previous system than dmoem here.

Quick Reply: 08 BMW 535i Sound System Not Working/ Stuck in Mute Maybe? Help Pls