E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newbie here, malfunctions after batt change

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Folks!
I just bought a 2008 528xi last weekend. The battery went dead that night after parking in downtown for a couple hours. Anyways, I drove home about 60miles on the freeway, and assumed the battery would be charged. The next morning, nothing. So I decided to get a new battery, because Ive heard of battery issues with the car, and figured because the car was sitting for so long (probably a few months on the lot),and it has almost 60000miles,I would just get it replaced. I called the dealer, because I know the batt has to be registered afterward. Anyways, besides being 30 miles away, they were booked out a couple of weeks. So, I decided I would change the battery myself and get it registered. I called interstate battery right by my house, and they said they could do it. So I jumped my car, took it down there, and they changed the battery to a mega-tron plus MTP-49/H8 100AH for $230. Anyways, right afterwards, I start the car and have a bunch of error codes. 4x4 malfunction, electrical malfunction, transmission malfunction, AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV malfunction. On top of that, my windows do not work, my remote only locks and unlocks the rear doors. I even changed the battery back to the oem, and same codes. I have bumper to bumper warranty that I bought but there is a 30 day waiting period. I still drive it to work about 2miles a day. Im planning on waiting 30 days and going to the dealer. Interstate batt says they're not liable and refuse to do anything.
Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
-dan
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your registration was succesfull..run car for a while and errors should stat dissapearing, windows need to be initialized and so does sunroof - push and hold switch in up position for 5 sec(?) after the window closes; run the car with remote inserted to slot , if you have Comfort Access; sunfoof -push and hold til it cycles through all positins.
if you did not register - what you are getting is expected as worst case scenario - it shoul work itself out with time...weeks?
The following users liked this post:
abjames28 (01-02-2022)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Sounds like your Micro Power Module (MPM) may be damaged. Perhaps they had to jump start the car to move it into the service bay? Was it done correctly? Was there any accident / short / sparking while the battery was swapped out? Is the technician working on the vehicle knowledgeable about BMW vehicles?

I would take the vehicle to a BMW Center for a disgnostic. That should tell you what went wrong at the Interstate shop.

Not sure how they are not liable for a vehicle has malfunction codes *after* they changed the battery. Hopefully the solution is as simple as registering the battery swap.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Members

Hello again. Thanks for your responses. Now this morning, I get a message saying HIGH BATTERY DRAIN. can anybody shed some insight?
thanks.
Dan
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Members

Just an update guys... Called the dealer, they said to bring it in. It turns out the battery just needed to be registered. Is that crazy or what? I read a couple times here some people didnt even need to register. Maybe the battery specs were too different. Anyways, thanks for your input. Went from a CooperS to 528xi, and its a bit boring, but what a difference in comfort.
-dan
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by dan2875
Just an update guys... Called the dealer, they said to bring it in. It turns out the battery just needed to be registered. Is that crazy or what? I read a couple times here some people didnt even need to register. Maybe the battery specs were too different. Anyways, thanks for your input. Went from a CooperS to 528xi, and its a bit boring, but what a difference in comfort.
-dan
I am having the same issues, I changed battery to a autozone AGM, car has been working for about a week but had the high battery drain issue but today I got electric system malfunction all the other errors you had and my wipers won't turn off. Did you also get electric system malfunction and the wiper issue? How has the car been since the fix?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

I had the same issue, with the $120 or so batter I bought from AutoZone with all those errors popping up. Turned out to be a blown fuse during the battery installation.

As far as battery registration, I've had mine for over a month now and its working perfectly so I call bullshit bullshit bullshit.

BTW Gee when I originally got mine installed my errors were all popping up and my wipers were also working for no reason and it was a blown fuse in the dash, Hopefully it's as simple of a fix for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I had the same issue, with the $120 or so batter I bought from AutoZone with all those errors popping up. Turned out to be a blown fuse during the battery installation.

As far as battery registration, I've had mine for over a month now and its working perfectly so I call bullshit bullshit bullshit.

BTW Gee when I originally got mine installed my errors were all popping up and my wipers were also working for no reason and it was a blown fuse in the dash, Hopefully it's as simple of a fix for you.
I found your post while searching earlier today. I already checked the fuse. There were some people who had the same issue and the registration fixed it. I guess I'll have to take it in and see what happens. The error says driving not possible, did you still drive with these problems? I have about 8 miles to take it to an indy and about 5 to a dealer, just wondering if I should drive it.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Members

Hi I initally went to the dealer for a Battery Change they quoted ~$500 to change the battery....theives I tell you! So I changed my Battery (Purchase as close to spec as I could) the other day...Had the same error 4x4 etc...took it for a drive around the block and all the errors disappeared..I have been driving the car for over a week with no problems. Like you I read so many forums for the battery change and the req to register...I decided to chance it and it worked out. When changing the battery you have to be careful and change correctly by removing the negative termanal first then positive, install the vent tube..not cross the termanals etc..I will likely have it registered the next time I head to the shop..
Old 12-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: X5 E70 2008 4.8I

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I am having the same issues, I changed battery to a autozone AGM, car has been working for about a week but had the high battery drain issue but today I got electric system malfunction all the other errors you had and my wipers won't turn off. Did you also get electric system malfunction and the wiper issue? How has the car been since the fix?

Hi Gee, I know this was a long time ago, but I am going through the very same scenario and the worst part is that the car will go into failsafe mode on reverse gear. How did you you solve your car problem back then?

Please let me know, Thanks!