E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'07 550i won't turn on at all - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Sport
Model Year: 2007

Hi all - did a search and didn't find anyone with this problem. Used my car this morning, started up with no problems. Went this afternoon to start it up, nothing happens. No just a no start - I can't get any of the car functions to turn on. Have the comfort access package, but when in the car and press the start button, the only thing I get is an error ding and the center gauge key graphic lighting up with the slash through it. Only time I have ever seen this is when I try to start the car without having the key with me. If i put the key fob into the ignition slot I get a different error ding and I get the key graphic with no slash through it. I assume this means that it sees the key is present but doesn't recognize it.

Key is working fine - it locks, unlocks the car and opens the trunk, but it will not start the car. I'm unfortunately up visiting my parents over the holiday so I don't have my spare set of keys with me. Its not the battery - tried jumping with no changes.

Its just so damn weird - had the car for 3 years and have no issues other than a new battery 4 months ago. It seems pretty clear that the car does not recognize the key, but this morning it was completely fine and nothing has changed since I parked it. Car is flat and level so no chance of the tow sensor being tripped.

Any ideas? BMW Roadside assistance is sending out someone to tow it to the local BMW dealership on Mon. morning - just thought I would check here over the weekend.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Have you tried the emergency start procedure? Place the comfort access key next to the steering column. There should be a symbol on the steering column. With the brake or clutch pedal depressed, push Start.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Members

Thanks for the reply vkhong - yes, I've tried having the fob next to the steering column, in the steering console, in the rear seat, as well as inserted in the steering column itself - nothing at all. The only difference is that I get the key graphic with the slash through it if the key is not inserted in the steering column, and when it is inserted I get just the key with no slash. Key still locks and unlocks, but I can't get a single thing to start in the car. I've also tried turning the locked steering wheel or moving the transmission selector in case the sensors there are off but still nothing. Very frustrating.

Couple other things I have tried after reading the forums - left key fob in ignition for 30 minutes, nothing. Disconnected battery in car for 30 minutes, nothing.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Dead battery ...
Old 12-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Members

I thought it might be the battery - its the first time it sat out overnight. However, I started it up at 9:30 this morning with no hesitation on start whatsoever. I also tried to jump it earlier today with no result. I had the old battery replaced over the summer and when it when dead I at least was able to jump it. I know these batteries are temperamental, but it just doesn't seem like a battery issue.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nine28
I thought it might be the battery - its the first time it sat out overnight. However, I started it up at 9:30 this morning with no hesitation on start whatsoever. I also tried to jump it earlier today with no result. I had the old battery replaced over the summer and when it when dead I at least was able to jump it. I know these batteries are temperamental, but it just doesn't seem like a battery issue.
Batteries can fail w/o notice - and if a cell goes bad they can still register 12+ VDC. Did they check the IBS (Intelligent battery sensor) and alternator when you had the battery replaced? I'm sure you know all about the +'s and -'s of battery registration. Was yours done?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Members

Battery was done at the dealership - in fact the original battery is no longer made so I had to get a newer battery and the dealer tried to stick me with $400 for re-programming to the new battery. So, I know it was registered correctly and it has worked fine for the last 4 months. You are probably right about the battery - it was below freezing last night and this is the first night it has been outside - it just doesnt make sense how it would start in the morning when it is in the mid-30s but when it is in the 50s in the afternoon it doesn't start.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Key battery, try to replace
Old 12-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Members

Hi phlfly - I got that recommendation from Bimmerforums too - opened up the fob and got incredibly lucky that my mom had the right replacement battery. Put that in and tried again - no change. Pulling my hair out over this thing - its the oddest occurrence. Guess I have to wait until it gets taken to BMW Monday morning but I'm very pissed that the e60 has stranded me with no ability to fix it.