E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'06 transmission dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 Z3 3.0, Sports Package, Winter Package, 5-SpeedHard Top [built: pick up in Munich on 5.17.06] ED 2007 550i 6-speed (sapphire black/black dakota leather): sports package; active stearing, hud/nav, logic 7, cold weather package, rear heated seats, rear folding seat, power shades, comfort access, sat radio

I've made a few posts around this issue recently. Here's the dilemma I find myself in:

1) I have a reserved ED (EuroDelivery) date of Nov. 2 '05 with my name on it for an '06 550.

2) I need to lock my final options chioces, etc. by ~August 15 '05.

3) While, I was originally told that only SMG and Steptronic would be options, I'm now told that both manual transmission and SMG are on *indefinite hold* and that the only option is steptronic.

4) I have never owned an automatic in my life -- and am not anxious to start now; I was on the fence about whether I would have preferred SMG or manual transmission.

5) I want to buy new; and the trip to Europe itself is of significant value to me.

6) If I don't go in November, I think I would have to put off the trip until ~April; I want to be certain that there is decent weather in Europe while I'm there (thouhgh I don't like heat -- upper 60's/lower 70's is my ideal).

-------

Given the above facts, what would people do? I see a couple of clear choices [are there other more compelling options]?:

A) Say, "oh well" and go with the steptronic taking deliver in Germany in early November.

Make a bet that SMG/Manual will be available soon; and postpone my trip until its arrival -- hopefully it will be available in time for an April pick-up. If it was avaialble earlier, should I consider going earlier?

C) Start looking at competitors again -- though I've always liked the idea of having a 3 BMW fleet downstairs in the garrage; and given that Masserati's are too expensive for me, BMW is my favorite marque.

Input, past experiences, insider information , and opinions appreciated.

Cheers,
Karim
Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hmmmm.
Last week I was *pressured* to consider a 545i instead of waiting for the 550i. Pressure was coming from one of the sales associates. First off: I don't like pressure. Secondly, the decision I ultimately will make will be my own. Besides, who's money are we spending here?

Anyway, I WANT SMG. Apparently there is a 545i located somewhere in California with *everything* that I want, except SMG. I can get a great deal for it. If I lease it I can get a really good deal.

Well, after thinking about this over the weekend I have concluded that I WANT SMG more than I care if it is a 545i or 550i.

So it's settled for me. I test drove an SMG and loved it. My next 5-series WILL be SMG.

Good Luck with your choice. Personally, it would *suck* to plunk down so much money and end up with buyers remorse. Get what you want, and be happy.
-Tony
Old 07-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

European Delivery in Germany during the month of November, will most likely not give you weather in the 60's and 70's. In the Munich area you are looking at 0-40 with some good snows and ice. I don't know if I would like to take delivery of a vehicle with summer tires during that time. However Aril is a little better there is no guarantee that winter has come to an end yet. I have been stationed in Germany for three years and every year is different. But, it is only different when it comes to April. November is usually the beginning of some winter weather.

I hear what everyone says about SMG and Manuals. I drove an SMG and it was not smooth. The gear shifts in automatic mode were jerky. The manual while I would consider it if it were on a 3 series, would not be my choice on a 5 series. This car is a bit more luxurious and in my opinion needs that automatic mode. The SMG gives you both, however there is a trade off in the driving comfort.

A vehicle with 360hp and 360ft/lbs of torque hardly needs a manual to be agile and performance oriented.

Remember, don't buy something you will have any reservations about because you cannot drive a 60,000 dollar car that you are not happy with everytime you step into it.

N

Originally Posted by kfarouki' date='Aug 1 2005, 09:08 AM
I've made a few posts around this issue recently.? Here's the dilemma I find myself in:

1) I have a reserved ED (EuroDelivery) date of Nov. 2 '05 with my name on it for an '06 550.

3) While, I was originally told that only SMG and Steptronic would be options, I'm now told that both manual transmission and SMG are on *indefinite hold* and that the only option is steptronic.

4) I have never owned an automatic in my life -- and am not anxious to start now; I was on the fence about whether I would have preferred SMG or manual transmission.

5) I want to buy new; and the trip to Europe itself is of significant value to me.

6) If I don't go in November, I think I would have to put off the trip until ~April; I want to be certain that there is decent weather in Europe while I'm there (thouhgh I don't like heat -- upper 60's/lower 70's is my ideal).

-------

Given the above facts, what would people do?? I see a couple of clear choices [are there other more compelling options]?:

A) Say, "oh well" and go with the steptronic taking deliver in Germany in early November.

Make a bet that SMG/Manual will be available soon; and postpone my trip until its arrival -- hopefully it will be available in time for an April pick-up.? If it was avaialble earlier, should I consider going earlier?

C) Start looking at competitors again -- though I've always liked the idea of having a 3 BMW fleet downstairs in the garrage; and given that Masserati's are too expensive for me, BMW is my favorite marque.

Cheers,
Karim
[snapback]155005[/snapback]
Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

I tend to agree. Do not buy unless you get exactly what you want. You succumb to temptation and can't wait; buy the Steptronic and two months from now when they come out with the 6-speed you'll be bummed. Also, I live in Germany and you'll not find 70 deg weather in November... maybe one freak day, but it's getting chilly at night and it's only August.

SMG - why?? Just because it's a cool F-1 like gadget? Unless you're going to seriously race your car after every light what do you need to shave seconds of your shifting for?

I'm waiting for the 6-speed. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm disappointed that I can't order it yet, but I have no need to be the first on the block with the 550i. I'm also going to wait on the reviews and the write ups after the first batch is delivered/tested. As I read on the forums, there's so much to go wrong with the E60 that I wonder if they've fixed some of these problems. The software alone (versions and what they do/fix) is a pain in the ass.

Tony said (he's) going to get the car he wants and it will be his decision on what to have in it. I'm with him 100%. The sales agent wants you to buy the 545i now 'cause he wants his cut now. He doesn't want to wait. A guy here wanted me to put down a deposit last year on a 550i when the 550i was just an idea on the horizon.

Anyway, that's it for now.

SEFH

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Aug 1 2005, 09:35 AM
European Delivery in Germany during the month of November, will most likely not give you weather in the 60's and 70's.? In the Munich area you are looking at 0-40 with some good snows and ice.? I don't know if I would like to take delivery of a vehicle with summer tires during that time.? However Aril is a little better there is no guarantee that winter has come to an end yet.? I have been stationed in Germany for three years and every year is different.? But, it is only different when it comes to April.? November is usually the beginning of some winter weather.?

I hear what everyone says about SMG and Manuals.? I drove an SMG and it was not smooth.? The gear shifts in automatic mode were jerky.? The manual while I would consider it if it were on a 3 series, would not be my choice on a 5 series.? This car is a bit more luxurious and in my opinion needs that automatic mode.? The SMG gives you both, however there is a trade off in the driving comfort.?

A vehicle with 360hp and 360ft/lbs of torque hardly needs a manual to be agile and performance oriented.?

Remember, don't buy something you will have any reservations about because you cannot drive a 60,000 dollar car that you are not happy with everytime you step into it.?

N

[quote name='kfarouki' date='Aug 1 2005, 09:08 AM']I've made a few posts around this issue recently.? Here's the dilemma I find myself in:

-------

Given the above facts, what would people do?? I see a couple of clear choices [are there other more compelling options]?:

Make a bet that SMG/Manual will be available soon; and postpone my trip until its arrival -- hopefully it will be available in time for an April pick-up.? If it was avaialble earlier, should I consider going earlier?

Cheers,
Karim
[snapback]155005[/snapback]
[snapback]155017[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I agree with the wait crowed. Get what u want and do not settle. I waited 8 months to order my 6er as HUD was not available at initial start up. I was already delayed waiting for my allocation slot and I was not going to settle. The wait was worth it. So if you cannot get what u want wait.. If it was a question of never available that would be a whole different matter.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Wait for what you want.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

If you are certain that SMG is critical to your enjoyment of the car, then wait. If you have not test driven a Steptronic version and aren't locked on SMG, then give it a test drive before you decide. I first wanted the new 5 because of SMG, but then when I test drove it and a Steptronic, I decided on the Step. The reason is that I didn't like the fact that I would always have to pay attention to the SMG and I felt it was unnecessary from a performance perspective. The Step is a great transmission, especially with the latest software, and in my opinion it is more appropriate for the 545i. It's silky smooth but also locks the torque converter in every gear, as far I can tell, and does not have that sloppy "automatic" feel. I can, however, understand why some drivers wanting constant involvement would prefer SMG or stick.

I did ED in late October last year and the weather was great in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but winter was clearly just around the corner. Temp was in the 40's to 60's. I don't think I would risk ED in November unless I was headed south of the Alps or at least stayed at lower altitudes. Check on the web for historical temp and precip info for where you plan to visit.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Members

Well I am in the same boat as you. I will not have another automatic! Our new X was only available in auto and while I admit it is fun to drive I know that if it were a manual I would have already worn the tires off. It's just not the same. And that goes for SMG. I know there is a dead pedal to rest your foot on but I like positioning my foot right over the clutch pedal and downshifting as I go into a corner. That gives me something to do with my right hand and my left foot. I feel more in control! I have driven every iteration of SMG so far excluding the new ///M5 and I can say without a doubt that I don't care for it. I am sure I could get used to it but why? When you want something don't settle right? BTWw I don't like Active Steering ither!

ED. Assuming that I don't change my mind and wait for the new ///M3, highly doubtful, I will be doing ED next May/June on a 2006 550i with a manual tranny. I see no reason to rush into it. There are several changes coming to the E60 over the next few months and the new manual will be available by then so it seems right. Plus weather in Germany is much better then too, fingers crossed! I also plan on leasing if the rates are right so I am predicting that it will be much more appealing next year as well.

Good luck on your wait. I highly doubt you will settle for less than what you know you really want!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Members

My Ride: ready to order: 530i, black, black. Sport, Premium, M Aero kit. Due in April

Well.... sadly but true...I just spoke to my sales person at South Motors BMW here in Miami and he confirmed that the new 550 will not offer the SMG. But ! manual will be an option that can be ordered (2 months wait)

Even if I have to accept that I was a little tired of switching gears, the SMG will be the right option, since I should have the best of both worlds. (Automatic for the annoying rush hour and SMG for Sunday morning drive)

I currently own a Z4 manual and a 325 Convertible with Steptronic. Even that the Steptronic is very responsive and quick, doesn't macth even close to the feeling of switching gears mannually. I also drove a friend's M3 with SMG.

After all I can say that all 3 are different like the name itself. Manual, SMG and Steptronic.

Having say that, I believe even the rush hour will take my patience away...It is worth to have the manual, having 100% control of the car and engine power.

I will wait until sept. when they start accepting orders. I'll keep you posted.

Have an Untimate Driving Day!
:winkcool:
Old 08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mcacciola' date='Aug 1 2005, 01:09 PM
Well.... sadly but true...I just spoke to my sales person at South Motors BMW here in Miami and he confirmed that the new 550 will not offer the SMG. But ! manual will be an option that can be ordered (2 months wait)
[snapback]155139[/snapback]
Do you know if that's for '06 only or for later years too? I'm planning on replacing my '04 530 manual in early '07 with an '07 550 and wanted to consider SMG instead of the manual. JJ.

Quick Reply: '06 transmission dilemma