E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

06 550i SMG or 05 545i 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

I am looking for my next ride and I need some input. Right now the 2 front runners are a 2006 550i SMG and a 2005 545i 6MT both cars are within 10k miles of each other and all the add-ons are the same (Sport,Cold,Navi, etc). The 06 is about 2k more but i think i can bargain on both so i really don't consider the price difference to be that great.

I do like the 06 better but i don't like the SMG (i think... ) i don't like the trim/steering wheel and engine bay on the 545i as much but those aren?t the end of the world.

I am afraid that if I don't jump on the 06 it will be gone quick, like many other ones i have seen. oye i was so when i sold my Z4 but now after looking i can't find anything that is perfect!!!!

So should i jump on the 06 and put 3k in the bank for when the SMG pump fails or should i be patient and wait.....

The easy answer would be to buy a new one, and while i am pretty well off, i am not loaded and i can't justify a 50k plus car at this stage in my life! And I will never finance a car again, it's cash or the bus (tired of banks stealing all my money).

And threads without pics suck so here-->
Attached Thumbnails 06 550i SMG or 05 545i 6MT-funny-pictures-cat-dog-paper-bag-shrubbery-holy-grail.jpg  
Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Contributors

You sure are a fast learner regarding threads without pics

I would suggest you go with the 06 since its parts have been 2yrs less exposed to weather,moist,rust,dust,sun,etc..
Plus the 550 VS the 545, has a slight gain in torque and HP, and a few minor parts changed in the engine bay.

Do note that a BMW,specially the E6x without warranty, are a burden on the pocket. I would suggest you look at a third party extended warranty.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Have you driven them both? From my time on this board, I have gleaned that the 545i seems peppier (lower weight, engine happier to rev) than a 550i. I have no personsl experience of the 550i, though, to confirm. I can say that I have been completely satisfied with my 545i since my first test drive four years ago.

I would believe that a 6MT would be more reliable than SMG, and certainly less expensive to repair if things go wrong.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Since money doesnt seem to be an issue, and the options are almost similar, I think its a no brainer, go with the 06! Also you seem hesitant about the SMG, well believe me all my cars in the past have pretty much been manual transmissions, but the second I got used to the SMG, I was in . You didnt mention if any of these cars are still under any kind of CPO warranty, but if they are, then what do you have to worry about?!?!?!

You'll get a newer car with little bit more power with 550.

Good luck and let us know what you decide....with pics of course!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

I looked at an SMG car, but never drove one. The deciding factors for me that steered me away were the fact that the SMG tranny is not in production anymore (gotta be a reason) and that re-sale would be harder. Manual sport sedans are a rare market as it is, making it even more rare didnt seem like a good idea to me. It also helped that I have personally driven an 04 545i 6speed manual car with almost 160k on the clock and it drove just as smooth as others i tested with 50k.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Do note that a BMW,specially the E6x without warranty, are a burden on the pocket. I would suggest you look at a third party extended warranty.
This is why I am leaning towards a 6MT. I don't believe in warranties, I find used parts and a good indie shop is all i need (and 20-30k sitting in a money market acount doesn't hurt either!). Yes the 5 will be the first BMW with all the electronics i will have but i will figure out the software/equipment so i can troubleshoot stuff myself.

As for the 545 or the 550, things just took alittle twist..... My wife was looking at the fuel charts again and concluded that the M5 wasn't that much worse than the M3/550/545.... so maybe i could save alot of upgrade money by just buying an M5 the hunt is on! I still have time (i won't be home for another month).

Sidenote: two Colorado guys! I did 4 years at a small technical college in C-Springs I can't wait to get back to breck,vail and A-Basin!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by cmoore_
I looked at an SMG car, but never drove one. The deciding factors for me that steered me away were the fact that the SMG tranny is not in production anymore (gotta be a reason) and that re-sale would be harder. Manual sport sedans are a rare market as it is, making it even more rare didnt seem like a good idea to me. It also helped that I have personally driven an 04 545i 6speed manual car with almost 160k on the clock and it drove just as smooth as others i tested with 50k.
The reason being was BMW came out with the DCT transmission recently, which is a newer more advanced system. However the BMW version of the SMG transmission has been around for sometime now, I think it was 96 or 97 when it was introduced which later evolved into the SMG II. The DCT system uses the same principle control method, hydraulics, it just has 2 clutches. In any case I wouldnt worry about the reliability any more than any other transmission, as its been refined over the years and at the end of the day if you think about it, it uses the same principles as our active steering. A hydraulic function to replace a mechanical function. Think about if that system failed! .......
Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Defy
Sidenote: two Colorado guys! I did 4 years at a small technical college in C-Springs I can't wait to get back to breck,vail and A-Basin!

Yes SIR its all about the EPIC pass now...UNLIMITED VAIL AND BEAVERCREEK!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

i used to get the liberty pass i think it didn't include Vail but it was like 99 bucks!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i * SMG * Sport * Premium * Cold * Nav * Logic 7 * 6-Disc * HUD * Comfort Seats * Sprint Booster * M-Tech Body Kit * 20" AC Schnitzer Type III Racing Wheels * Black Out Front Grille * Black/Silver Carbon Fiber Roundels * AC Schnitzer Trunk/Roof Spoilers * AC Schnitzer Billet Pedals

Hmmm.... here's how I would go: M5, 550i, 545i

Some comments:

1) SMG - the reason it "failed" is because people got it were Auto-Tranny people. They thought that they could drive it in "D" mode and it would be just like their Auto. Unfortunately, its designed to be a track transmission. The "D" setting just doesn't work that well. It does take a learning curve, just like when you first started driving a Manual; its a completely new/different tranny than you are used to. BUT, once you get the hang of it YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Quick Reply: 06 550i SMG or 05 545i 6MT