E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05' 545i .. Should I ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Hello gents, I found this car on craiglist and I really, REALLY like it, look for yourself:

2005 BMW 545i

I'm in Afghanistan right now deployed, and i will be sending my brother to pick it up if i decide to buy it, ( i talked him down to 15k )
I want to have a car by the time i go back home in about 2 months ( if i make it out of this shithole ) Now, i really have no experience whatsoever with BMWs, but I know they are not the most reliable cars out there, and this one has 85k miles.

I would really appreciate your expertise here, should I? Thank you all!

Corporal Morejon,R - USMC
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

I spent a year in Iraq man so I know what it's like to be without the everyday things people take for granted. That's def a sweet ride but I always suggest test driving before buying especially with CL bc people are just shady. Who knows you may not even like it when you drive it (highly unlikely). But those cars are out there, the only way I would consider is if it had super low miles like my 07 550. I bought it 6 months ago and it only had 25k miles. Take your time bc these cars can be pricy too fix and make sure you make a well informed decision.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Thanks for the reply brother, yes being away out here for so long sucks. I have been looking around, for quite some time now, and so far this one has been the only one that got my attention, but yes you are right, theres always that risk. you know how we earn our paychecks here, i really don't want to make a bad decision on this one. I talked to the guy today and he gave me his home address, my brother will probably go see it and test drive it tomorrow, ( I trust him ) seems legit.

You think 15k is a good deal tho ? I'm planning on keeping it for probably 2 years then get me a newer one if possible.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Members

Do yourself a favor and get it checked out at a BMW dealer. Have them make a list of what's wrong. That car is only worth that if it's mechanically sound.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Members

I wouldn't touch a 545 if it was blessed by God... I know they're not painfully unreliable but the 550 is ever so slightly more expensive, faster and notably more reliable. For the prices the two cars command I can't see any need to go for a 545.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your brother is a knowledgeable BMW mechanic and will bring the right tools to do a thorough inspection then I say it sounds like a good plan.

Otherwise, you will have to plan an inspection at a dealer or indie of your choice who will go over the car carefully and potentially save you from a bad purchase.

I agree with others that the 545i was not the most reliable engine, especially for gaskets and seals. Leaks and expensive repairs can be affected by driving habits of previous owners and the oil change history. If the drain intervals were driven by BMW's CBM (computer tells you when to change oil) then likely the drain intervals approached 15K miles. Highly levels of contaminants in the oil (due to extended oil use and potentially severe service like stop and go driving or lots of short trips) can turn the gaskets brittle and cause them to fail.

Tiny little $2 gaskets on the 545i can cost $1200 to 1500 in labor to change depending upon who does it. Example - Alternator bracket gasket - in BMW's infinite wisdom the engine mounts on one side must be loosened and the engine raised slightly to facilitate removal of the bolts that hold the bracket in order to replace the gasket.

I haven't shopped 2006 or 2007 550's recently, so I can't comment on relative value of 545i vs 550i. I paid $15 for my 2004 545i back in December of 2011, but I knew the car's history and received four remaining months on an extended bumper to bumper warranty, which told me that all required service was up to date and that I would have time to drive it and have it re-inspected in the future with any required repairs on someone else's dime (minus a $50 deductible). The warranty ended up paying out over $2000 in just those four months (burst coolant reservoir and flickering iDrive screen). Flawless since then.

I do agree with other posters that the later 4.8L engine in the 550i has a superior gasket design compared to the 4.4L in the 545i.

If your are going to finance - PenFed with 1.99% rates for 24-60 months up to 100% of NADA value on used cars is a no-brainer. Even if you have the cash, its like free money.

Being able to turn a wrench yourself to do simple things (oil changes, brakes, cabin filters, spark plugs, transmission drain and fill, etc.) can save significant money towards those tough repairs you will have to pay for. Good step-by-step DIYs on this site.

The 545i are awesome beasts to drive, and the one in the picture is a good looking car.

Best of luck !

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
Old 07-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Members

I just bought my 545i on the web from a seller 700 miles away.

First, expect that the seller is hiding one hell of a good reason for selling this car.

Second, have the seller drop the car off at a dealer who you've arranged to go over the thing top to bottom and give you the full story.

It may cost you more, but take it from me, there's always more to the car than the seller is willing to disclose!!

I'm glad I had mine checked out. It brought down the price I paid after renegotiating and gave me a list to hand my indy tech upon delivery!!

Hope that helped
Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

hey mate, think you are deffinately making the right choice on getting a BM, however have a look around and see what else is available. if you can pick up a 550i then I can say that in my expiriences myine has not given me one bit of trouble and is just an absolutely wonderful car in every way. That 545 does look sweet though !! Take care over there my man, Australians are supporting you as well. Full support and respect for our service men and women.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

Get the car inspected by indie shop. It is a good piece of mind and you can always use to negotiate the price down. I got ppi on 2009 550i I recently bought my wife. It only had 16900 miles on it. With 85k it is a no brainer. They should be able to tell you what is coming. Would you still buy it if you had to pay $3000 in a few month? I am not trying to discourage you. These cars look awesome and driving them is a pleasure. I don't like shark looking front end on f10.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by rob2388
Hello gents, I found this car on craiglist and I really, REALLY like it, look for yourself:

2005 BMW 545i

I'm in Afghanistan right now deployed, and i will be sending my brother to pick it up if i decide to buy it, ( i talked him down to 15k )
I want to have a car by the time i go back home in about 2 months ( if i make it out of this shithole ) Now, i really have no experience whatsoever with BMWs, but I know they are not the most reliable cars out there, and this one has 85k miles.

I would really appreciate your expertise here, should I? Thank you all!

Corporal Morejon,R - USMC

Get the 550. It's a bit more but it's a better car and there are plenty to choose. Why bother with more hassles saving 5k. 22k will get you a nice car.

Regards cvt

Quick Reply: 05' 545i .. Should I ??