5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   '05 545i - No-start after DME reprogramming (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/05-545i-no-start-after-dme-reprogramming-147497/)

insightbrewery 08-12-2017 09:34 AM

'05 545i - No-start after DME reprogramming

Hey guys, I'm working on an '05 545i that had the DME programmed to solve the pesky secondary air issue. I disconnected the battery, then removed the DME and sent it off. The car sat without battery power for several weeks.

I got it back, hooked everything up, reconnected the battery, and the screen started throwing all sorts of errors, trans malfunction, active steering malfunction, etc. In addition, my scanner (Actron) showed four codes dealing with coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensors, and a couple others. Clearing them did nothing - they came back immediately.

Car won't start, but it cranked over strongly. After reading a bit, I disconnected both IBS connectors and it would still crank over, just very weakly. Plugged in INPA and got several persistent codes that matched up to the P-codes on the Actron scanner. I removed the battery and stuck it on a trickle charger.

After a bit more reading, I'm thinking the DME and CAS are misaligned, and that this issue was exacerbated by the weakened battery. So what I'm wondering is, can I use INPA to realign the DME and CAS? If so, how would I do it (can't find clear instructions anywhere); if not, what tool can I use to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

seanjordan20 08-12-2017 07:30 PM

Yes you can use INPA for realignment. I've done it before about 5 years ago. Let me fire my INPA up to try and figure out what I did

Just FYI a weakening battery has nothing to do with misalignment.

insightbrewery 08-12-2017 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by seanjordan20 (Post 1590863)
Yes you can use INPA for realignment. I've done it before about 5 years ago. Let me fire my INPA up to try and figure out what I did

Just FYI a weakening battery has nothing to do with misalignment.

Ah, gotcha. Appreciate it. I read just one post somewhere that said INPA wouldn't realign newer CAS systems, just older EWS, but hey, if it saves me from getting Rheingold or something...

insightbrewery 08-13-2017 02:07 PM

Figured it out! I didn't properly seat the large, middle connector on the DME. After that, car fired right up, works as it should.

Now let's see if the secondary air fix took...also, I need to flush the trans out, I don't think the fluid has been changed in almost 80k. Going to grab a bunch of MaxLife Dex/Merc, since LifeGuard is way too expensive.

seanjordan20 08-14-2017 05:46 AM

It pays to double check your work. I have never used anything but lifeguard for my transmission so I can not speak on your fluid choice. There is a detailed diy for the fluid change on this site.

insightbrewery 08-14-2017 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by seanjordan20 (Post 1590875)
It pays to double check your work. I have never used anything but lifeguard for my transmission so I can not speak on your fluid choice. There is a detailed diy for the fluid change on this site.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Yeah I'm willing to try out the MaxLife - it says it meets the Shell spec on the back, and I've had very good luck with it on a lot of other transmissions. I'll report back.

insightbrewery 10-19-2017 09:47 PM

Been a while, thought I'd update this thread with the results of my transmission service.

So I replaced the solenoids with a new set from CTSC, in addition to the pan, valve body seals and mechatronic sleeve. I had to bring my welder out to get the fill plug out, since it stripped out...

Since the fluid in there was about 80k old, I decided to dump in a friction modifier cocktail to partially rejuvenate the fluid that would remain (drain and refill, about 5.5 quarts out of...9, I think?); that was a little sausage of Lubegard Dr. Tranny. The drain and refill was MaxLife. Then I reset transmission adaptations in INPA and did the relearn procedure I found on FCP Euro. Lol, cop pulled me over for doing 30 on the freeway...got my first drunk test and breathalyzer. Let me go with a warning after it was clear I wasn't inebriated.

It's like a brand-new transmission. Shifts beautifully, drops into gear lightning quick and I can do WOTs again. I still have the 2-1 slam (although lessened), so I'll be doing the giubo soon.

Originally I chose to try the MaxLife because the PI sheet says it meets Shell M-1375.4 for these transmissions. Lol, it seems like every time I go back to the PI sheet on their website they add new applications that it can take over. It now lists LifeGuard 8! Unless I missed that before.

This is my go-to, magic fluid. GMs, Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, BMWs...I use it in everything that it lists. Just the Chrysler products I see, I avoid...those ATF+4 applications are finicky.