E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

*EMERGENCY* My girl is on the highway and hood wont close.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short,

1. She is driving her 535i(e60) and someone on the highway told her that her hood is open.

2. She pulls over, looks and see that driver's side of the hood is slightly open. compared to other sides, it is popped up a little(not fully secured).

3. She open the hood from inside the vehicle. Got out of the vehicle, popped the hood open the usual way(use the knob on the latch).

4. Slammed it to close it, and still the same thing. She sent me a picture.

*Dealership said the middle latch(U-shaped) needs to be lubricated with WD-40. However, only right side(outside view) is slightly popped open. Im guessing there might be a side latch on these 5 series? I drive E90 3 series, so I really have no idea.

I NEED SOME HELP RIGHT NOW. PLEASE HELP ME HOW TO FIX.
She is driving on the highway(she can't make long stops, business trip) and i know it is very dangerous so I need to know how to fix it quickly. Not to mention that she is out nowhere in nevada driving, so there is nothing around. Im sure she can find a gas station for WD-40.

Please help me with step by step instruction(picture or diagram appreciated) if possible. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

*Can someone please send me a pic of their engine bay and locate where the latches are?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Might look unsightly and she may have to drive with an annoying warning sound but the car should be safe to drive. As long as the other hood latches are secured, a non-issue in the near term IMO...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Members

There is the main latch in the center of the hood (under the roundel), and two other latches -- if I remember correctly they are right above the inside edge of each headlight.

I had this problem with my '06 530 -- one of the 2 "side" hood latches was gummed up with dirt or dust (I live in Arizona) and would latch, but it moved in slow motion. WD40 helped some, but I ended up having to close the hood and then press down right above the latch and hold it until the latch closed.

The dealer ended up replacing the latch.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I agree it isn't an emergency.

I took a picture for you. This is the driver's side latch. The is also on on the passenger side. You can locate the latch from the position of the washer fluid - at least for my car which is a 2006 530xi (N52 engine).
Attached Thumbnails *EMERGENCY* My girl is on the highway and hood wont close.-photo.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I agree that the side latch has to be lubricated.

Workaround: while closing the hood, stop about half-way down, place one hand on the hood over where the main center latch is, place the other hand on the hood over where the side latch is, continue closing the hood firmly with both hands. Should not have to slam it down, since hood should go downward with its own momentum.

A BMW Center can make the necessary adjustments later when she can stop in.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Any chance of something obstructing that one side from closing all the way? Was the hood opened for some reason prior to her trip and maybe someone left something there?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

I had this happen one day too when cleaning the engine bay. The close half way down, place hand over area not closing methos worked for me too.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

You may have resolved this already but just in case...I had the same experience with a loaner. It was due to the spring loaded part of the side latch sticking and not closing fully. If she compares the action of the moveable part of the latches on both sides she'll be able to see what needs to be lubricated. Some WD40, work it back and forth until it springs back like it should, and it should shut properly. Although it did not appear that the hood was likely to come all the way up, I wasn't comfortable driving a long distance with it this way, and she may feel the same. Hope she gets it worked out!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

My 2004 has these rubber bump-stops on the hood or around the actual latch - I forget. Either way these can adjusted. If the latches are well lubed and you're still having the problem then consider looking at the height of the rubber bump-stops. Just twist clockwise to dial in (down), or counter clockwise to dial out (up). If to high the hood won't close, and if to low there's some slack and hood play on that side. Might want to give those a check... I also at one point I forced the hood closed (before I noticed the rubber bump-stops) because I had a similar issue. This is one of those know your own strengths because if applied to much pressure you could possibly dent the hood. Good luck!

-Jay
Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lux.sh' post='1079099' date='Dec 23 2009, 08:31 PM
Long story short,

1. She is driving her 535i(e60) and someone on the highway told her that her hood is open.

2. She pulls over, looks and see that driver's side of the hood is slightly open. compared to other sides, it is popped up a little(not fully secured).

3. She open the hood from inside the vehicle. Got out of the vehicle, popped the hood open the usual way(use the knob on the latch).

4. Slammed it to close it, and still the same thing. She sent me a picture.

*Dealership said the middle latch(U-shaped) needs to be lubricated with WD-40. However, only right side(outside view) is slightly popped open. Im guessing there might be a side latch on these 5 series? I drive E90 3 series, so I really have no idea.

I NEED SOME HELP RIGHT NOW. PLEASE HELP ME HOW TO FIX.
She is driving on the highway(she can't make long stops, business trip) and i know it is very dangerous so I need to know how to fix it quickly. Not to mention that she is out nowhere in nevada driving, so there is nothing around. Im sure she can find a gas station for WD-40.

Please help me with step by step instruction(picture or diagram appreciated) if possible. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

*Can someone please send me a pic of their engine bay and locate where the latches are?

EXACTLY the same issue in 2008 528. Had to go back to the dealer for latch adjustment.

Quick Reply: *EMERGENCY* My girl is on the highway and hood wont close.