E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

*35i HPFP update

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my personal HPFP/turbo/etc. issues.

Maybe it can be of help to someone.

Short recap...

Made it 45k miles or so with no issues.
Then I had the wastegate rattle and stumbling under load problem.
Had both turbos replaced due to "elongated actuators"
Had HPFP replaced with *943 newest part.

Rattle cured with turbos, and stumble still there.

Brought it back in, shop forman could feel the stumble, but couldn't replace HPFP due to no codes thrown to justify it.

I suggested they try draining the gas tank. (I've always been suspect of the ethanol issue)

Drained the tank, and problems were solved.

I have always tried to use 93 from Kwik Fill (They don't add ethanol to their gas at most locations), but have had to fill up with top tier gas with ethanol maybe 5 times over the two years of ownership.

I am now convinced that ethanol is leading to the majority of the *35i issues. From reducing the performance/increasing misfire/stumble to the detrimental effects it has on mechanical components.

I have been adding 2oz of the Stabil Ethanol Treatment to every tank, and have managed to use 93 Kwik Fill everytime since draining of the tank, and have had zero problems in over three weeks. The car is once again fun to drive. No stumbles, and consistent power through the band, like new.

I can imagine that even a little ethanol will sit in the bottom of your tank and cause problems.

One idea regarding the ethanol problems, at least here in NY, is that it is added to the fuel at the point of delivery, by the delivery driver. How do we know that the driver isn't busy or distracted and puts 15 or 20% ethanol in the blend, instead of the quoted 10%?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

One more reason for me to continue using Shell Premium which contains no ethanol.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
One more reason for me to continue using Shell Premium which contains no ethanol.
For what it is worth my 08 535 had 5,000 miles on it and ran fine until I filled up with Shell premium, for the first time- drove for 2.5 hours to home and a block form home my HPFP went out. Have no clue why it went out.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

Although it's tempting to drawn conclusions from a single test, (a single drained gas tank, or a single tank of Shell premium), it's impossible to know if these things are the actual cause of your problems without further investigation. Just because those two actions happened around the same time doesn't mean one caused the other! I'm not saying ethanol is not the culprit, but this just isn't enough data to be certain.

However, if you could duplicate the results at will you may have actually solved the HPFP mystery!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no offense but I am pretty sure bmw looked into this already as 99 percent of the USA has 10 percent ethanol in all their gasonline. I think they would have done anything to prevent this ongoing issue so my guess is they thought of that problem already

And your analogy that it is the ethanol since you have been fine now filling with non-ethanlol doesnt hold up since you said you went 45k miles with about 5 ethanol fills-so you may go another 45k and doesnt mean it was from the ethanol-point is I think they thought of that
Old 08-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
In Alabama the Shell Premium pump says "contains 10% Ethanol". I haven't seen any gas station around here that sells ethanol-free gas.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Got some news for you all that think it's ethanol , They are having the HPFP failures in Europe with the same frequency as in North America (X6,X5,135,335,now Z4 and 7's) , where there is no Ethanol in the gas, this has been theory but this fact keeps trowing water on the fire.This was the original way that BMW denied warranty claims to fix the HPFP's which past very quickly, but the high Alcohol content cant help.

This has come up in multiple 3 and 1 series forums, and I spoken with both mechanics and BMW engineers on the problem. It is an engineering defect not ethanol. It has to do with how the original part was designed and where it attaches to the motor. Lets just say that BMW should have used the the original design spec and manufactured part instead of going at it alone and having 3rd parties make it for them.

The 2nd party that designed the original part and builds it for another big name manufacture has kinda laughed it off, due to a very LOW occurrence of their designed and manufactured part failing in even more engines that is is used in compared to BMWs version.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Are you teasing us? Who is the other party/manufacture?

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Got some news for you all that think it's ethanol , They are having the HPFP failures in Europe with the same frequency as in North America (X6,X5,135,335,now Z4 and 7's) , where there is no Ethanol in the gas, this has been theory but this fact keeps trowing water on the fire.This was the original way that BMW denied warranty claims to fix the HPFP's which past very quickly, but the high Alcohol content cant help.

This has come up in multiple 3 and 1 series forums, and I spoken with both mechanics and BMW engineers on the problem. It is an engineering defect not ethanol. It has to do with how the original part was designed and where it attaches to the motor. Lets just say that BMW should have used the the original design spec and manufactured part instead of going at it alone and having 3rd parties make it for them.

The 2nd party that designed the original part and builds it for another big name manufacture has kinda laughed it off, due to a very LOW occurrence of their designed and manufactured part failing in even more engines that is is used in compared to BMWs version.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by nell
Are you teasing us? Who is the other party/manufacture?
I think it's mitsubishi, ...as the N54 turbos are mitsubishi...

I could be wrong tho
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull

It is indeed compelling, if correrct, that the failures in Europe mirror those in the USA, if there is no Ethanol in Europe. This fact would seem to rule out an Ethanol-based cause for the failures. What is puzzling to me is that if it is merely a mechanial problem - why didn't the brilliant engineers at BMW change the design to remove the problem? Certainly that would have been less costly than the public relations nightmare and the replacement program now underway.

Quick Reply: *35i HPFP update