E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"transmission fail safe drive moderately"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'04 530i.
Today I was quickly get around someone, and all of sudden I got the "transmission fail safe drive moderately". I was still able to drive about 45mph (on side streets) but it was a little sluggish. When I got home and turn it off and about a min or 2 turn it back on and it was gone.
Now I did the usual Google search and got a laundry list of what it could be...battery, Tranny need reset, etc.

Anyone had this problem and had a real solution to it? I hope the transmission is not bad....

Thanks
Thx
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530iA Grey -91 525i Silver -67 289 Mustang HT Wimbeldon White

I also got this message the other day (also 530 '04) the next day the car went crazy with the theft alarm sounding and after that the battery went dead.
Perhaps it is related to a need for a new battery? I have not recieved any messages telling me that the battery capacity was low before this incident.

Ideas anyone?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Metallic Silver Grey M Sport Aero Dynamic Kit | M Sport Suspension | Business Navigation | Sports Front Seats | M Sport Leather Steering Wheel | Sunroof | PDC | 18" M Sport Double Spoke Light Alloy | M Spoiler | LCI Tail Light | HID 6000K 2010 Mazda CX9 Aluminium Metallic

I had the same problem too.

First time: I didn't bother with it and turned car off and on again
Second time: I went to the dealer and they updated the transmission software

A friend's dad works in a BMW delivery centre and when new cars arrive the transmissions are not "fully programmed", he has to "complete" the install so the cars can drive like normal. New cars that arrive at the port can't go pass first gear. So I think when your car can't go above 45mph or feel sluggish its because the software needs to be updated. I don't think it's the transmission itself.

I think best to go to your dealer. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rocksteady530
'04 530i.
Today I was quickly get around someone, and all of sudden I got the "transmission fail safe drive moderately". I was still able to drive about 45mph (on side streets) but it was a little sluggish. When I got home and turn it off and about a min or 2 turn it back on and it was gone.
Now I did the usual Google search and got a laundry list of what it could be...battery, Tranny need reset, etc.
Anyone had this problem and had a real solution to it? I hope the transmission is not bad....
Thanks
Thx
How many miles on your '04? First time for a trans alert? Has your transmission ever been serviced (fluid / filter change)? Any other clues ( jerky shifting, delay when shifting from P/N to D?).

It may be a one-time glitch or the first of many alerts before trans fails. Or it could be a software issue ... Or it could be a battery low-voltage issue. If only our cars were simpler "!"!

If it's a worse case scenario (transmission failure) that's something a "BMW Mechanic" (indy or BMW Store) should handle. In my opinion a "general transmission" shop isn't equipped to deal with these things.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
How many miles on your '04? First time for a trans alert? Has your transmission ever been serviced (fluid / filter change)? Any other clues ( jerky shifting, delay when shifting from P/N to D?).

It may be a one-time glitch or the first of many alerts before trans fails. Or it could be a software issue ... Or it could be a battery low-voltage issue. If only our cars were simpler "!"!

If it's a worse case scenario (transmission failure) that's something a "BMW Mechanic" (indy or BMW Store) should handle. In my opinion a "general transmission" shop isn't equipped to deal with these things.
Hey Luigi,
My ride has 129K on it. It drives really nice. Anyway, I got my OBDII scanner and saw code P0735 "Gear 5 Incorrect ratio"....oh boy $$$$$$$.
So I took it to my Indy to check it out and he was able to drive it hard with no alerts been thrown. He saw the code P0735 and it has 0 occurrence (like it never happened). He checked the tranny fluid and everything looks ok the gear was not slipping driving normally. He said if it happens again, I should take it to the BMW dealer but from what he can tell it should be fine. I forget to ask him to check the battery like what a few on forums have said could cause it.
So yesterday, I drove it pretty normal with a few pedal to the metal and nothing...so I was happy....until this morning....wasn't even going fast about 45mph and i could almost predict it was going to happen because I could feel as if it didn't want to change gear and as soon as I took my foot off the gas to drop it down...BAM it comes on. DAMN IT!!! So I turned it off for a min or 2 then on and bingo its gone...car driving normal.

So I will have to take it to a steeler to see what the deal really is. Hoping its a software issue...ugh anyone solved their issue?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Check your battery!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Hey Luigi,
My ride has 129K on it. It drives really nice. Anyway, I got my OBDII scanner and saw code P0735 "Gear 5 Incorrect ratio"....oh boy $$$$.
So I took it to my Indy to check it out and he was able to drive it hard with no alerts been thrown. He saw the code P0735 and it has 0 occurrence (like it never happened). He checked the tranny fluid and everything looks ok the gear was not slipping driving normally. He said if it happens again, I should take it to the BMW dealer but from what he can tell it should be fine. I forget to ask him to check the battery like what a few on forums have said could cause it.
So yesterday, I drove it pretty normal with a few pedal to the metal and nothing...so I was happy....until this morning....wasn't even going fast about 45mph and i could almost predict it was going to happen because I could feel as if it didn't want to change gear and as soon as I took my foot off the gas to drop it down...BAM it comes on. DAMN IT!!! So I turned it off for a min or 2 then on and bingo its gone...car driving normal.

So I will have to take it to a steeler to see what the deal really is. Hoping its a software issue...ugh anyone solved their issue?
OMG ... what you described is exactly what my e38 740 (01) did before the transmission crapped out. The reset trick worked temporarily ... but then it was no way Jose

If you really like your car and it's in overall good shape and a dealer examination confirms the trans is near death you might consider a BMW re-manufactured transmission -- it'd be worth a shot, if that's the call, to ask for financial help from BMWNA ... Again, IMHO, a transmission failure in a car like an e60 - one maintained according to BMW's standards and not abused - is premature @ 128K miles.

Good luck with your quest ... keep us posted!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Members

'04 530i.

Thanks
Thx
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times with my previous 05 530D.
Turned out to be a bad battery, nothing wrong with the transmission.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by speedyholm
Hey Speedyholm, I hope its the battery. I tried the tranny reset trick and it seems to work so far but I can tell it won't last as its starting to feel like it did before having a fit (sometime don't want to change gear). I was reading somewhere about the battery needing to be registered if you change it? What's that all about?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by speedyholm
Quick question concerning the bad battery...did it give you any indication that it was going bad or did you have to get it tested to know?

Quick Reply: "transmission fail safe drive moderately"