E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Drive Control System. Drive Moderately" Message

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Have a 2005 530i and have been getting a "Drive Control System. Drive Moderately" message on the iDrive display and a yellow triangle with circle on the instrument cluster. The message goes off after a few minutes, but the yellow triangle remains. This seems to happen intermittently and corrects itself if I turn the ignition off and then back on again. This sounds like a Steering Angle sensor problem but the turn signals cancel correctly, so I'm hoping that a reset of the sensor may take care of the problem.

Some posters have indicated that the sensor can be reset by simply turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock, centering it and turning the ignition off and then back on again. Others say that you must disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, then reconnect before doing the reset procedure.

Does this DIY reset method really work and, if so, does it work with standard (non-Active) steering?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by turnbowm
Have a 2005 530i and have been getting a "Drive Control System. Drive Moderately" message on the iDrive display and a yellow triangle with circle on the instrument cluster. The message goes off after a few minutes, but the yellow triangle remains. This seems to happen intermittently and corrects itself if I turn the ignition off and then back on again. This sounds like a Steering Angle sensor problem but the turn signals cancel correctly, so I'm hoping that a reset of the sensor may take care of the problem.

Some posters have indicated that the sensor can be reset by simply turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock, centering it and turning the ignition off and then back on again. Others say that you must disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, then reconnect before doing the reset procedure.

Does this DIY reset method really work and, if so, does it work with standard (non-Active) steering?
If the problem is with the steering angle sensor, the correction procedure is in the driver's manual.

1. Park the car with the front wheels straight.
2. Turn the car off.
3. Restart the car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then back to straight on.
4. Turn the car off.

The next time you start the car, the sensor should be reset. I had this happen to me last Saturday, the reset worked like a charm.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by stoic1
If the problem is with the steering angle sensor, the correction procedure is in the driver's manual.

1. Park the car with the front wheels straight.
2. Turn the car off.
3. Restart the car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then back to straight on.
4. Turn the car off.

The next time you start the car, the sensor should be reset. I had this happen to me last Saturday, the reset worked like a charm.
The procedure is not in my owner's manual. You must have Active steering, which I do not.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Checked power steering fluid level?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
Checked power steering fluid level?
Yep, fluid level is good.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Members

Got this error short after i bought my new E61.
Take care when the error is there, All your driving stability programs are off, so dont push anything in rain.

Mine was on/off depending how i pushed the car. I Got a new sensor under warrenty
Its actually a rater big part to app. 600$ if its the sensor
Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Mobmatrix
Got this error short after i bought my new E61.
Take care when the error is there, All your driving stability programs are off, so dont push anything in rain.

Mine was on/off depending how i pushed the car. I Got a new sensor under warrenty
Its actually a rater big part to app. 600$ if its the sensor
+1. Got my SZL replaced under warranty. Once replaced, it has to be programmed with what features you have on the car.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Engine: S85

Got this replaced just last week, when I changed my steering wheel two weeks ago and I put everything together I received the error. My first thought was that I screwed something up. Took it to the dealer to have it checked out. Steering angle sensor just went bad. I got it replaced under warranty. Total bill parts and labor was $1002 I only paid $50 deductible from my warranty company.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by b00sted415
Got this replaced just last week, when I changed my steering wheel two weeks ago and I put everything together I received the error. My first thought was that I screwed something up. Took it to the dealer to have it checked out. Steering angle sensor just went bad. I got it replaced under warranty. Total bill parts and labor was $1002 I only paid $50 deductible from my warranty company.
You should check and make sure every button on your steering column works. When I had mine fixed, they forgot to program in my tilt steering functions. I had to bring it back for reprogramming. Afterwards I even made sure the cruise control was working.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by balbs
You should check and make sure every button on your steering column works. When I had mine fixed, they forgot to program in my tilt steering functions. I had to bring it back for reprogramming. Afterwards I even made sure the cruise control was working.
Wow!! All my buttons on my steering wheel work blinkers etc... I haven't checked cruise control since I've only used it 3 other times before but I will check tonight Thanks!!

Quick Reply: "Drive Control System. Drive Moderately" Message