E39 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E39 (1997 - 2003) 5 series!

Weird. '02 530i brakes itself

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car has an automatic transmission, 120K miles and we know the ABS has gone out on it. I'm just trying to get it to limp along till we can afford a replacement car for my wife. Just the other day, we noticed that, even thought it will drive normally and the engine pulls fine, the car will seem to coast down quicker than normal when you let off the gas. In fact, when you are at a light, you can even let off the brakes and the car will usually just sit still, sort of like it has a hill-holder feature like they used to have on some cars (Subaru that I know of). I replaced all brake pads after my mechanic thought maybe excessive wear (yes, they were about gone) had caused the brake pistons to hyperextend and maybe weren't returning as they should. BTW, before I replaced the pads, I tested this theory - which should have meant that the pads were not releasing so the wheel(s) involved would be hotter than usual and/or I should be able to smell the overheated pads. Neither was the case but I replaced the pads anyway. It made NO DIFFERENCE. Same problem. I also considered the ABS might be kicking in in some way but I disconnected the power to it and it made no difference either. Oh, all the wheels spin freely when I jack the car up and test them. Also, we never use the parking brake but, when tested, it works and the light comes on telling you the parking brake is set before you even get to the first rachet click so I know it's all the way off. Any ideas?