DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

wiper blades replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.remove your wiper from bmw
Visit My Website
2.i bought rain-x wipers from autozone $21.5 each (tax included)
Visit My Website
3.pull the wipers from package , remove 1 clip (any side of the wiper) , flat screwdriver will help , do not remove protective piece from edge of the blade
Visit My Website
Visit My Website
Visit My Website
4.slide out the wiper blade from rain-x wiper (very easy , once you removed clip)
Visit My Website
5.remove BOTH clips on each side from your bmw wiper (use flat screwdriver , be very carefull pushing each side little by little ...otherwise you screwed if one of them cracked or damaged)
Visit My Website
6.pull each metal piece against each other on one side to free the wiper blade(use your fingers)
Visit My Website
7.do the same on the other side of the wiper , try to pull out the blade from wiper (move it back and forth where the middle part attached - the hardest part to remove) , once you removed it allign the metal pieces in the middle (will be much easier for you to slide in new blades), make sure they alligned same way you see on the pics.
Visit My Website
Visit My Website
8.slide in rain-x wiper blade in to your bmw wiper(very easy and gently), it will slide easily because rain-x blade does not have the fin on the other side of the wiper blade (i believe it is against snow or ice build up ....anyway it is not working , mines were always frozen when it was snowing) , you can see the blades difference on the last pic
Visit My Website
9.attach clips on each side of your bmw wiper
Visit My Website
10.on this pic you can see the difference between bmw blade (on top , it's got a fin described above) , and rain-x blade
Visit My Website
i used 24' rain-x blades
24' for driver side - no mod , direct fit
23' for passenger side - cut about 1' once you slided it in.
i love my wipers now (no noise , perfect view) , before people were scared when they heard that noise while i was talking over the phone.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Members

tried to add pics ....something is not working for me
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Members

Don't get me wrong, but i think the average forummember knows how to replace their wiperblades
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

thanks for this, I really need to replace mine.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Here is what i do...(For UK users)

1. Log onto www.wiperblades.co.uk
2. Order these http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/bmw-5-series-...c=&Ref=prod
3. wait for them to arrive
4. FIT.

DONE.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributors

I tried this method and FAILED. I really need to learn trying to go the cheap route results in more money lost. The windshield wipers off the car I realized were BOSCH. And trying to fit these rainx on the bosch did not work. They are on but they are horribly lose, since you can transfer the backing plate. I'm going to have to buy a set from the deealership.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Went to Circle BMW in NJ with a buddy at lunch today to get some wiper refills for his '04 745i... $4.00 for the refills and 5mins later they were replaced..
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributors

I paid $90 for my wipers at dealer I had no choice I couldnt see with my wipers in the downpour.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1076082' date='Dec 18 2009, 04:01 PM
I paid $90 for my wipers at dealer I had no choice I couldnt see with my wipers in the downpour.
Woooo that's pricey ... next time (probably in 6 months) pre-order a set from Garry @ Newport! You know you're gonna need them every 6-9 months.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

For the record, just installed the Rain-X Lattitude blades on my 05 530i yesterday. The car requires the 22" for the passenger and 24" for the driver side. I can confirm that these do work and fit on the car, however, there is one small problem with the 24" when trying to fit them.

The wipers come with multiple mounting bracket options and the one we use on our car was the I&J i believe it was called... So you do have to remove the preinstalled bracket from the rain-x blades and in the box they supply you with the other bracket that we need. Now the 22" bracket worked just fine, but the 24" did not fit. If you open the two and compare, you can see why. The bracket that comes with the 22" has a bit of a lip where the back end butts up aginst the furtherst point of the wiper arm of our car. The bracket that comes with the 24" blade does not have this lip and so there is a hook that is on our wiper's arm that hooks under this lip. So this hook will butt up against the bracket for the 24" and you will not be able to close the bracket to secure it.

Resolution for this is to kindly explain this dilemma to the auto part store where you purchase the blades and if they are nice, and they should be understanding, allow you to swap out the bracket from the 24" with the bracket from a 22". Most cars use the preinstalled bracket which is just the hook style anyway, so the other hardware would be thrown away in most cases. They understand this, or at least the manager at my local pep boys did, and he allowed me to swap it out. Do this and you can affix these blades as a cheaper option. The wipers work perfectly, although I will say the bracket is a bit on the ugly side compared to the stock, but a minor detail you can overlook, only really noticeable to you since we know all the small details of the car. Also, Pep boys has the Rain-X blades right now as a buy one get one free after mail in rebate from Rain-x. Again, you will need the Rain-X Lattitude, 22" & 24", but swap out the bracket from the 24" with another box of the 22".