DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

White Angel Eye

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the light spec and design guide, these LED's sucks alot of currents and needs heat sink if on more than 2 seconds. This will lead to melting your current wire which is quite dangerous. Please go back to BMW wire diagram to check the wire cross area and high current capability.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributors

another white led angel eye type here

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=213748
Old 01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!! E60 eagle pilots.

I am sorry for coming up late.

I compared my work with a product of PIAA. The result is as follows.

This is PIAA "Ring Marker" for BMW. (It is about 172 dollars (20,000 yens) in Japan.)

It has the almost same shape as the genuine bulb.

This is the upper end of the bulb. It has "Normal Power" LED, not Lumileds "High Power" LED.

The left side is PIAA "Ring Marker" with normal-power LED, and the right side is my work "White Angel" with Lumileds high-power LED.

The color tone of PIAA "Ring Marker" is pale (blue white). And its brightness is weak. (It is really "pale".)

The color tone of my work "White Angel" is pure white. And this is clearly brighter than that. (Look the reflection of the reflector.)

Finally, this picture shows the difference in the characteristic of two bulbs vividly.

As for PIAA, the light has spread around. And as for my work, the light has concentrated on the center distinctly.

It seems that PIAA has many points which should be improved. I do not think that I will pay 172 dollars for it.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Soaristo,

That's great; thanks for posting!

Do you know of a web site or dealer that sells the PIAA product in Japan? I have not been able to find it in the US or Europe, or on PIAA Japan's web site.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Members

Hello!! das, the Administrator.

I am very honorable that you replying for my post. Thank you!!

(I had majored in Information and Communication Technology too.)

> Do you know of a web site or dealer that sells the PIAA product in Japan? I have not been able to find it in the US or Europe, or on PIAA Japan's web site.

Yes. It is not put on the market yet. So, it is not on the PIAA's web site. I got it early by a special route.

But, it will be announced soon at Tokyo Auto Salon 2006 on January 13 to 15.
Tokyo Auto Salon 2006

And another product will be announced.

This is D1S HID burner for the eagle eye, for from 2005 models.
(Up to 2005 models, the burner type is D2S.)

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 AM
das
Site Founders

Soaristo,

Thank you for the information! I think many of our members here appreciate your excellent projects and modifications!

I will watch for these new PIAA products at the upcoming show as well. Is that other new product actually an HID/xenon retrofit for the angel eyes? Do you know why there is a difference for pre-2005, and 2005 and newer?

I am currently experimenting with LED retrofits for the various lamps on E60. I have some new high-flux LEDs coming in next week as a replacement for 1156 (red rear brake/tail) and 7507 (amber turn). I am also going to try a bright white incandescent Ba9 bulb and also a Ba9 white (8000K) LED bulb for angel eyes. The LED bulb for the angel eyes may not be bright enough, but it is very inexpensive (less than US$10) and very easy to install, so it's worth a try. I will also be posting pictures of the results.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Wow, this is great stuff. I'm very anxious to get the whiter and/or brigher angel eyes as well and I'm sure a lot of people on this forum want them also.

Das, where are you getting the Ba9 bulbs? From Autolumination? Are they direct replacements of the angel eye bulbs on xenon cars? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Soaristo, another stupid question but $172 is for a pair for the PIAA bulbs right? I just want to be sure because a friend of mine bought a similar white angel eye bulb in Japan and it was $400 a pair.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Soaristo, I forgot to ask you if you would sell your bulbs to your fellow E60 Eagle Pilots!!

If not I would probably buy those PIAA bulbs when they're available.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:18 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='220689' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:53 PM
Wow, this is great stuff. I'm very anxious to get the whiter and/or brigher angel eyes as well and I'm sure a lot of people on this forum want them also.

Das, where are you getting the Ba9 bulbs? From Autolumination? Are they direct replacements of the angel eye bulbs on xenon cars? Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Yes, I ordered some bright white incandescent Ba9 bulbs, and also some bright white LED Ba9 retrofits...they'll be coming next week, and yes, if all goes well, they should be a direct replacement of the bulb inside of the angel eye bulb assembly (because on the xenon cars, it's not just a bulb, it's that whole twist in module, which is what BMW has you buy if one burns out...but it just has a Ba9 base bulb inside of it which we'll hopefully be able to easily take out - I say "hopefully" because E39 used a similar assembly, and the bayonet nipples on the bulb actually prevented you from taking the bulb out through the reflector, and you had to cut the assembly apart to get at it and then put it back together again...hopefully E60's assembly just lets you take the bulb out).

Soaristo, another stupid question but $172 is for a pair for the PIAA bulbs right? I just want to be sure because a friend of mine bought a similar white angel eye bulb in Japan and it was $400 a pair.
Yes, that was for the PIAAs, which are not out yet...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by das' post='220512' date='Jan 7 2006, 07:16 AM
Soaristo,

Thank you for the information! I think many of our members here appreciate your excellent projects and modifications!

I will watch for these new PIAA products at the upcoming show as well. Is that other new product actually an HID/xenon retrofit for the angel eyes? Do you know why there is a difference for pre-2005, and 2005 and newer?

I am currently experimenting with LED retrofits for the various lamps on E60. I have some new high-flux LEDs coming in next week as a replacement for 1156 (red rear brake/tail) and 7507 (amber turn). I am also going to try a bright white incandescent Ba9 bulb and also a Ba9 white (8000K) LED bulb for angel eyes. The LED bulb for the angel eyes may not be bright enough, but it is very inexpensive (less than US$10) and very easy to install, so it's worth a try. I will also be posting pictures of the results.

Thanks!
Looking forward to your findings, DAS, since I'm anxious to get a replacement for the yellow angel eyes!

Quick Reply: White Angel Eye