DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Where can I find BMW sockets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

On realOEM I can find BMW plugs (which are actually called sockets). The reason the word socket is used is the plug itself is a male housing but the contacts within them are female contacts. The male contacts are housed within a female socket. These female sockets are not listed on RealOEM and are often built into the parts itself.

What I'm after is I'm trying to buy these female housings with the male connectors in them that I can plug the BMW sockets into. The reason is I want to modify some wiring without slicing through the wires and connectors. So what I thought I would disconnect the BMW wiring, plug the original into my connectors and plugs. As mentioned I can find the BMW plugs (males) but I can't find the females for them which I can attach a wire too.

Anyone who has any experience with these please help.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

I'm afraid the news are not what exactly you wanted to hear. BMW has agreements with several connectors manufacturers to produce plugs exclusively for BMW. One of the main connectors supplier to BMW is Amphenol. However, even if you go the supplier with the BMW part number (printed on the connector) the supplier will not sell you these connectors. The stereotype answer will be "This is a specific customer number and we regretfully cannot supply you this connector". They will not even acknowledge its for BMW.

The only partial solution to what you are trying to do is to go to your friendly dealer and ask them to order you an "Electric Repair Kit" that contains various connector housings, connector pins etc. However, the kit only includes some connectors and not a complete list.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Can only agree. Not only Amphenol, also the other companies used e.g. Tyco (AMP), have got extremely strong protection of all automotive products.

I make a living out of dealing in electronic components internationally and have had a look on the international market many times. None of the part numbers that are on some of the connectors used on my car have ever shown up, not even on the Chinese market.