DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Uneven Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently the problem is somewhat common.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=401524
Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='984643' date='Aug 21 2009, 10:34 AM
have you tried the 25 second transmission reset?

Turn the key in the #2 position or push start so engine lights show up but the car doesn't start (only electronics on). Press the gas pedal down all the way into the kickdown position. HOLD your foot there for 25-30 seconds. The trans / throttle should reset to stock, you may or may not hear a slight "ting" or "knock"

Does this give you a better kick back in your seat?? Like when your car was brand new?? Or is it less aggressive?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Members

Update -

My warranty was not covering because BMW would not release the information about the fault to even the dealer. According to the Service Manager, "We hook it up to a computer, and they analyze in Germany, then tell us what part to replace, and they will not give us more info..."

So... BMW is going to pay for the part ($4200 according to BMW), and give me a discounted labor cost to install.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Sport Seats, Xenons, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, K40 Caliber Built-in Radar Detector.

Originally Posted by Spaceroach' post='1026912' date='Oct 7 2009, 02:02 PM
apparently the problem is somewhat common.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=401524

This is my post over on bimmerfest, It's really getting annoying to drive my 5 around, and the dealer wont help out because they say, BMW wont let them proceed until a fault code appears. Didn't think I bought this car to not enjoy driving it. I love my 545 dont get me wrong, but this is just really annoying.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Well two tankfuls of fuel cleaner (Millers Diesel Sport) and its still there.

I'm booking the car in for them to have a look next week (bit inconvenient to keep taking it to the dealers as the wife uses it for work and i run my own business)

Incidentally it also happens in 5th at around 1500-2000.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by chris f' post='1021408' date='Sep 30 2009, 03:25 PM
What valve body?
It is part of the automatic transmission
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Members

Just an update if anyone is interested or has the same problem.

BMW ended up not paying for the new valve body (BMW calls the part "Mechatronics"), but got my 3rd party warranty to pay for it. BMW balked on it because I was not the original owner. All I had to pay was the deductible and for new transmission fluid. Been driving the car a week, so far so good.

BMW did state that there is a service bulletin on the valve body failing and causing the transmission to slip. I have seen many posts on other BMW boards of people having the same problem with 04 5 series. Oh well - hope my experience can help someone else down the road.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by Spaceroach' post='1041312' date='Oct 27 2009, 10:53 AM
Just an update if anyone is interested or has the same problem.

BMW ended up not paying for the new valve body (BMW calls the part "Mechatronics"), but got my 3rd party warranty to pay for it. BMW balked on it because I was not the original owner. All I had to pay was the deductible and for new transmission fluid. Been driving the car a week, so far so good.

BMW did state that there is a service bulletin on the valve body failing and causing the transmission to slip. I have seen many posts on other BMW boards of people having the same problem with 04 5 series. Oh well - hope my experience can help someone else down the road.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Is this service bulletin public? If so where can I find it?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by BluedMan' post='1041342' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Is this service bulletin public? If so where can I find it?
Mine does it sometimes when cold...but my car is a manual. I think i'll try the injector cleaner. Only between 1200-1700 RPM in 3 or 4th gear.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Members

Surge Problem Found & Fixed

I recently bought a very clean 2002 530i MT w/ 73K miles that I soon learned had that same "surge" problem that others have experienced. The car would suddenly and randomly drop or add a few hundred rpms without any throttle input. It was really maddening.

I first had a full tune-up and injector cleaning done, but those efforts made no difference. This problem doesn't "throw a code", which makes it very hard to diagnose. I later tested many things myself and thorougly searched the engine for bad vacuum lines, dirty electrical connections, etc., but found nothing. Finally I took it to an excellent independent shop in my area - Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia, PA. They quickly diagnosed and fixed the problem: worn seals in the VANOS unit.

The VANOS unit controls the variable valve cams. It's located at the front of the engine, and has electrical connections on each side. In essence it consists of two electrically-actuated hydraulic pumps. It works constantly, and Bavarian's mechanics told me that the rubber seals eventually wear until they get hard, leak or break, and then don't actuate properly.

They took the time to show me the internal workings of a VANOS unit after they fixed my car. They said there's a specific diagnostic test that can be performed to check the unit, but that a bad unit sometimes passes all of the tests. My unit passed all the tests but the last one, which they told me checked the length of time it takes to respond to a certain input. That failure indicated to them that the unit was losing pressure, which meant that the seals were bad.

I literally would have sold this car if I hadn't been able to get the problem fixed. Now the throttle is perfectly smooth. I hope my experience helps someone else, because I was unable to find any definitive answer in my own research.

Also, I recommend following the suggestion made by some people I've read, as well as Bavarian's mechanics, and having your car's computer software updated at the same time.

Quick Reply: Uneven Acceleration