DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Towbar fitted

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

After much deliberating and mulling over the feedback I got from previous posts on this topic, I finally took the plunge and ordered a towbar for the E60.

Although I only need to tow a small trailer occasionally, I decided to put the bar on my car and not the wife's E46.

The good news is that the bar was a piece of cake to fit, and the only drilling or cutting required was to remove a small piece of the undertray that fits between the bumper and the spare wheel well. The electrics were a doddle as well, with only 4 wires in the loom having to be clipped into via Scotchlocks.

I bought the bar and a Smart bypass relay wiring kit from Towsure (a UK based company who deal in caravaning and leisure products). The Total cost was less than ?140 which all things considered was good value.

The only downside is that the kit I purchased has a fixed towball carrier, but they do have a detachable toball option available to go with the basic kit I bought. Now that I've fitted the bar I will probably invest in the detachable towball which is an optional upgrade for my kit.

Some pictures of the car with towbar fitted below. If anyone wants more details on the fitting / wiring then I'll galdly give a more in depth narrative.

You may notice that there is an extra "drop plate" between the bar and the towball. This is because the trailer nose rides a bit in the air if I had just bolted the ball onto the bar as standard. (I had this 2 inch drop plate when I had my e39, so just kept it when I sold the car).

Towbar fitted-side_view_towbar.jpg
Towbar fitted-rear_view_towbar.jpg
Towbar fitted-towbar2.jpg
Towbar fitted-towbar3.jpg
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='251234' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:24 PM
After much deliberating and mulling over the feedback I got from previous posts on this topic, I finally took the plunge and ordered a towbar for the E60.

Although I only need to tow a small trailer occasionally, I decided to put the bar on my car and not the wife's E46.

The good news is that the bar was a piece of cake to fit, and the only drilling or cutting required was to remove a small piece of the undertray that fits between the bumper and the spare wheel well. The electrics were a doddle as well, with only 4 wires in the loom having to be clipped into via Scotchlocks.

I bought the bar and a Smart bypass relay wiring kit from Towsure (a UK based company who deal in caravaning and leisure products). The Total cost was less than ?140 which all things considered was good value.

The only downside is that the kit I purchased has a fixed towball carrier, but they do have a detachable toball option available to go with the basic kit I bought. Now that I've fitted the bar I will probably invest in the detachable towball which is an optional upgrade for my kit.
Some pictures of the car with towbar fitted below. If anyone wants more details on the fitting / wiring then I'll galdly give a more in depth narrative.

You may notice that there is an extra "drop plate" between the bar and the towball. This is because the trailer nose rides a bit in the air if I had just bolted the ball onto the bar as standard. (I had this 2 inch drop plate when I had my e39, so just kept it when I sold the car).

Attachment 16355
Attachment 16356
Attachment 16357
Attachment 16358
Could you post the instruction procedure and photos ?

Thanks,
Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Members

I didn't take any photos while I was fitting it but the attached instructions from Witter are exactly the same as the ones that came with my bar.

The wiring instructions came in a bag with the wiring kit and were very easy to follow.

BM19A.pdf
Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Senior Members

Good job I've heard it should be pretty hard to install a towbar on the E60/61.

OK - It might be cheap - but it dosen't look good!! :thumbsdown:

Are you able to take it of when you dosen't use it ? Or do you have to drive with it 24-7 ?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='255562' date='Mar 16 2006, 12:08 PM
Good job I've heard it should be pretty hard to install a towbar on the E60/61.

OK - It might be cheap - but it dosen't look good!! :thumbsdown:

Are you able to take it of when you dosen't use it ? Or do you have to drive with it 24-7 ?
At the moment I'm stuck with the fixed towball. I'll probably purchase the detatchable option that's available when I have some spare cash which will look much better. (The upgrade kit is another ?99 which is more than the bar cost in the first place).

One thing with the fixed towball is that no-one is going to get to close to the back end of my car in car parks at the moment.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='256911' date='Mar 18 2006, 07:20 PM
At the moment I'm stuck with the fixed towball. I'll probably purchase the detatchable option that's available when I have some spare cash which will look much better. (The upgrade kit is another ?99 which is more than the bar cost in the first place).

One thing with the fixed towball is that no-one is going to get to close to the back end of my car in car parks at the moment.

Finally ordered and fitted the detachable towball option. Now the rear of my baby looks much slimmer again. (The PDC was seeing the fixed bar and giving me false information, so I decided to get the detachable option.

Edit: See My Gallery for new pics of detachable towbar.